Is A King Hub Really Worth It?

NVWOCI WVS

really?

on tartybikes they said hope had problems with the hub bodys breaking on the 06 models? but theyre £20 cheaper!

wasn't that mainly from over tensioning wheels maybe? but still hardly any broke compared to the amount they produced, and hopes customer service is extremely good if anything did go wrong with it.

ok, i reckon i'll go for the pro2 then...

probably the 07 model because im bound to absolutely kill a hub that already has a reputation or reviews for breaking! :-

cheers guys, loadsof help!

just wondered if anyone knows how many engagement points the pro2 trials hub has?

the king has 72 i think?

got my first king hub 29 august 2002, and i can safely say, i wont be running anything else on any stock of mine.............

that said, i would definately get one with a stainless steel drive shell, my first disco lasted me until summer last year without a single skip..... it made a few loud noises once or twice when it needed a service, but never actually missed an engagement or caused me harm....

my new king single speed has an alloy drive shell, and you can see very slight deformation on the splines now after 9 months use.... so perhaps the single speed hub isnt SO amazing, although, its still super reliable. makes noises every once in a while, but never actually skips at all. i trust it 100%

ive seen several pro2's that skip, fred judds in particular is AWFUL, although he still swears its the chain!

rich pearson had his leeson super pimped out with new wheels including pro2 hubs, and kennard went to gently pedal off a 2ft wall and the hub totally missed all pickups and ash came down and smashed richs brand new front wheel.....

ive seen too much to trust one.

i wont be using anything other than a king again.

got my first king hub 29 august 2002, and i can safely say, i wont be running anything else on any stock of mine.............

that said, i would definately get one with a stainless steel drive shell, my first disco lasted me until summer last year without a single skip..... it made a few loud noises once or twice when it needed a service, but never actually missed an engagement or caused me harm....

my new king single speed has an alloy drive shell, and you can see very slight deformation on the splines now after 9 months use.... so perhaps the single speed hub isnt SO amazing, although, its still super reliable. makes noises every once in a while, but never actually skips at all. i trust it 100%

ive seen several pro2's that skip, fred judds in particular is AWFUL, although he still swears its the chain!

rich pearson had his leeson super pimped out with new wheels including pro2 hubs, and kennard went to gently pedal off a 2ft wall and the hub totally missed all pickups and ash came down and smashed richs brand new front wheel.....

ive seen too much to trust one.

i wont be using anything other than a king again.

yet i still bought one...

Each hub has its merits, due to being two very different beeings.

In theory, the king should out perform the hope in any situation, but it is more expensive, especially once you factor in HD axle and Steel drive shell if you need it (im still running a completely std king).

The main difference is, while the pro2 does seem to occasionaly skip, seen it with many hubs recently, its only a small skip, and it picks up again due to the pawl and spring system- this is simple, and very reliable. you get the skip when the pawls are on the edge of a ratchet tooth, not properly engaged, they just clunk onto the next one very heavily.

With a king, they slip in an enitrely different way, and it can be half a pedal stroke or more. This is because of how the helical spline system works, driving the two toothed drive rings together under pressure. In theory its very load bearing, and should be increasingly so as you put more pressure on.

The forces in trials have a habit for flexing hubs however, and i have seen the splines on hub shells damaged and deformed (notably prawns when i cleaned it for him). this causes the spline not to push the drive rings together properly or at all in cetain situations. The king is most likely to skip if your a smooth rider, and hover over that engagement before a move then put the power down. i have only felt mine skip this way, but fo me only slightly, and i was beeing so light footed it wasnt even for a move, just trackstanding.

Edited by nmt_oli

If you have to ask you don't deserve a king. Anyone who says they are overpriced dosen't realise the quality you get with a king. Thing is though if you are a bad jock with a spanner a king isn't for you. They need looking after. I love my king hubs.

kings are over priced :- especially when you add in the extras you need, hd axle, funn bolts and steel freehub body! even then the flanges still snap.

I had a king for 3 years, it was cool, but things kept snapping and eventually I couldnt get it to stop skipping (near full rotations).

I have had my hope for a year now, I broke a bearing in two weeks, but it was a different bearing to what they use now and it didnt help with me not putting the hub back together properly!

Even with the bearing shagged, it still has never skipped! its been the most matenence free bike part I have owned (other than my front hub)