Pedal Rant

wunderboy

I have an 07 221ti. Now, as much as I love that bike, I must confess that my pedals suck! I am so angry. The bolts just won't stay in them. They keep falling apart, and then I have to spend 10min looking for where the bolts fell out. I have even used some liquid bolt lock, but they are so short that there isn't enough to grab. I ended up taking out all the spacers so that I could crank them down and deal with crooked pedals until my new ones arrive. Try-alls.... the only way to go!

Has anyone else had this difficulty with these pedals, or is mine just a bad set!

With double cage pedals, your best bet is to undo the bolts when they're new, slip out the inner cage, then threadlock the bolts in. That's what I used to do when I ran them, but then I got fed up with the not-so-great grip, turd bearings and tiny pedal bodies and moved up and onto sealed bearing pedals...

I've had my caged onza vp pedals for about a year, they may be very scratched and a bit bent but the still do a good job.

My PlanetX (VPs) cages are over a year and a half old and still are doing more or less fine. As long as you don't do pedal dabs on purpose and check the the cage bolts are tight, they can last a long time.

ditto to the above, I personally wanna track down some oddysey sharkbite pedals if they're still being made, they're well nice and look/work sweet.

Ben

Flat pedals are so much nicer and generally better than caged pedals. Plus they don't destroy your shin unless you have loads of long pins.

Pedals like wellgo tend to be good for a short period. Worth a look at as they are cheap and give you the feel off a V8.

I use Shimano dx's but they are a little higher a in price.

Or spend the extra 10 pounds and get dmr pedals ? they need practicaly no maintainence at all

mike W :)

The DMRs aren't caged though are they? ;)

I used to run the good old shark bites then when I built the Giant everyone said to get platforms, so I did.... DMR V12 Mags :D Thing is I just didn't like them, couldn't get the grip I wanted, tried different footwear, pin arrangements and so on. Have to say though, I never ever heard a bad noise from the bearings, very impressed with that bit!

Running the VP cages now, 2 rides and already the bearings are creaking! But I can live with that for the better grip.

The bolts in my onza VP's just striped so I got some cheap wellgos (HA! Not with halfords involved they weren't! the robbing c**ts charged me £30 & they weren't even the magnesium 1's. :angry:TIP:halfords will empty ur wallet) but I was desperate. If I'd waited & spent a fiver more I could have got the mags from trialsman (A.K.A. Ben Savage 4 those who didn't know)

Flat pedals are so much nicer and generally better than caged pedals. Plus they don't destroy your shin unless you have loads of long pins.

Pedals like wellgo tend to be good for a short period. Worth a look at as they are cheap and give you the feel off a V8.

I use Shimano dx's but they are a little higher a in price.

just wear shin pads then???

There is also a question of weight. Cages tend to be much lighter than platforms.

but the pedaols are on the cranks and effectively under the bike, so the only time weight is a real issue is when your riding natural as your having to move the whole bike around at the same time rather than gapping solely from tyhe back wheel. The pedals are around the balance point and only really affect the overall weight of the bike rather than a measurable weight.

Hence natty/comp riders liking caged pedals and street riders liking platform ones.

To be fair though, my hognesiums have been grippy as hell, i go to pedals on them quite often and have eventually lost the pins from one side but the7y are going to be two years old in april. Plus their magnesium so not far off the weight of caged pedals.

I didnt want to pay 45 for monty pedals when you get the same vp with 2 cages so i modified them. i run single cage i got aluminium tube from b and q and made up spacers and also if you have monty pedals you could file/buff the spacers smaller or use brake clamp bolts which go right through to save them from stripping

Edited by weebryan

but the pedaols are on the cranks and effectively under the bike, so the only time weight is a real issue is when your riding natural as your having to move the whole bike around at the same time rather than gapping solely from tyhe back wheel. The pedals are around the balance point and only really affect the overall weight of the bike rather than a measurable weight.

Hence natty/comp riders liking caged pedals and street riders liking platform ones.

To be fair though, my hognesiums have been grippy as hell, i go to pedals on them quite often and have eventually lost the pins from one side but the7y are going to be two years old in april. Plus their magnesium so not far off the weight of caged pedals.

When you tap/gap/sidehop you still end up moving the entire bike and pedals are a part of it so hence the their weight will count.

I have an 07 221ti. Now, as much as I love that bike, I must confess that my pedals suck! I am so angry. The bolts just won't stay in them. They keep falling apart, and then I have to spend 10min looking for where the bolts fell out. I have even used some liquid bolt lock, but they are so short that there isn't enough to grab. I ended up taking out all the spacers so that I could crank them down and deal with crooked pedals until my new ones arrive. Try-alls.... the only way to go!

Has anyone else had this difficulty with these pedals, or is mine just a bad set!

Aup yer i have had this problem so i just put longer bolts in until my new ones arrived. I also pushed a rock in them and used tie wraps to stop them falling apart, did the job! (Y)

When you tap/gap/sidehop you still end up moving the entire bike and pedals are a part of it so hence the their weight will count.

:- I don't think you really read understood what i said :P

You can't tell the difference in weight between two sets of pedals when your riding street. You don't REQUIRE a light bike, its just a preference. The majority of "street" riders only do one move, then move to another wall and do the exact same move on that.

Comp/Natty riders don't stop, they don't have a break and move to the next rock. They need their bike lighter so they don't get exhausted half way through a line and leave themselves with muscle ache/tiredness/cramp.

:- I don't think you really read understood what i said :P

You can't tell the difference in weight between two sets of pedals when your riding street. You don't REQUIRE a light bike, its just a preference. The majority of "street" riders only do one move, then move to another wall and do the exact same move on that.

Comp/Natty riders don't stop, they don't have a break and move to the next rock. They need their bike lighter so they don't get exhausted half way through a line and leave themselves with muscle ache/tiredness/cramp.

I understood what you said :) Even in pure urban riding, the weight will manifest itself in single moves. However, will the difference be really percetable?