'new Earth' Found.

Dan6061

They'll just resort to spouting intelligent design if they want to argue - you can't win against that one.

ooh - and before you get too carried away with e=mc squared n all that. There's plenty of theories about stuff that can't go as slow as the speed of light as well - tachyons and other such tiny little wotsits with negative mass. harnessing the power of those little buggers would potentially give you infinite speed (stopping might be an issue though).

my ship full of 10th generation genius inbreds would get that shit locked down in no time.

How are you going to give an entire spaceship negative mass?

Maybe you can make little things with "negative mass" (not heard of those theories, always thought negative mass is impossible, as if it did exist it would suck everything in and destroy the universe (like that weird particle made in the LINAC on the End of Days Panarama documentary)) go faster than the speed of light but a big spaceship is never going to be able to go faster than light, or anywhere close.

I'm not getting carried away, it's proven fact. :rolleyes:

surely a light grind and some coust pads would solve the stopping issue pretty quickly.

as for your inbred super human race your thinking of placin on an eggbox and letting them evolve super quickly. one question, materials? where they goin to get them from, and if they dont have a wind tunnel on board, working out aerodynamics could be mighty difficult.and one wrong decision in the research and design process, would mean the testing(Which would be done as there going along using there ship as a test subject, could potentially cause an end to the inbreds and there incestors plights for speedy travel.

also inbreds rarely tend to be intelligent after the 3rd generation, have a look at texas for instance.

one way we could travel there is electronically, i here alot about these emails, that travel the globe in seconds, im sure using them, if we could find a program and attach ourselves(ideally in compressed form) we could move pretty quickly from planet to planet.

Why would you need a wind tunnel for something traveling in a vacuum?

Testing could be done on a computer though, you wouldn't have to put it straight on the ship, or use up any materials on prototypes. The brainy inbreds could write programs for testing all sorts of components haha.

I have no idea about the affect of inbreeding but I'm fairly sure a ship landing on a new planet ought to be full of genetic diversity otherwise any martian virus could wipe them all out veeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrry easily.

We could beam there star trek style haha Although it'd take all the energy of the Sun to achieve it. Basically matter is converted to energy then you send it shooting off across the Universe where you reform as energy. Only problem is, other stars are light years away, so would you age as energy? And what would happen if most of your energy is absorbed in the planet's atmosphere?

This subject is far too complicated haha

They cannot reach the speed of light.

Especially in a large spaceship. Remember E=mc^2, energy has mass, and if you want to get to the speed of light you'd need to have infinite mass which is impossible.

The closer you get to the speed of light the heavier the ship is and the harder it is to get any faster (as it requires more energy to push the extra mass faster and then this energy also needs more energy to make it go faster etc etc etc etc).

:turned:

Once you've put a relatively small distance (relative to the solar system, we're talking 0.01 lightyears here) between the ship and the solar system you are far enough away that it's gravity has very little affect on the ship and it is basically completely free from any force. From there on you can just "coast" along.

To be honest the gravitational forces from the solar system won't affect a ship much at any point in it's journey....

E=mc^2 is the equation for rest mass energy, once you start moving the equation become E= (1/(1-(v/c)^2)^0.5)mc^2, the faster you got the more your mass would increase, so more energy would be needed, so more mass etc in vicious circle.

Oh and by the way, once one has left the immediate vicinity of a planet one is barely affected by the gravitational attractions as the force obeys an inverse square law.

How are you going to give an entire spaceship negative mass?

Maybe you can make little things with "negative mass" (not heard of those theories, always thought negative mass is impossible, as if it did exist it would suck everything in and destroy the universe (like that weird particle made in the LINAC on the End of Days Panarama documentary)) go faster than the speed of light but a big spaceship is never going to be able to go faster than light, or anywhere close.

I'm not getting carried away, it's proven fact. :rolleyes:

Why would you need a wind tunnel for something traveling in a vacuum?

Testing could be done on a computer though, you wouldn't have to put it straight on the ship, or use up any materials on prototypes. The brainy inbreds could write programs for testing all sorts of components haha.

I have no idea about the affect of inbreeding but I'm fairly sure a ship landing on a new planet ought to be full of genetic diversity otherwise any martian virus could wipe them all out veeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrry easily.

We could beam there star trek style haha Although it'd take all the energy of the Sun to achieve it. Basically matter is converted to energy then you send it shooting off across the Universe where you reform as energy. Only problem is, other stars are light years away, so would you age as energy? And what would happen if most of your energy is absorbed in the planet's atmosphere?

This subject is far too complicated haha

For something to have negative mass it has to be antimatter, which annihilates on contact with matter, for example humans, in an explosive manner.

Is there even enough fuel in the world for all that?

Infact, you'd burn more fuel carrying the weight of all that fuel... :blink::S

I dont think youre thinking outside the box dan:

IF we attach a massive rocket TO the earth, we can propel ourselves forwards at 17,500mph. THEN if we launch a rocket after 500 or so centuries (wont take long, just do a crossword and the time'll fly past, seriously) we'll be close enough AND the rocket wont need to carry as much fuel.

sorted (Y)

For something to have negative mass it has to be antimatter, which annihilates on contact with matter, for example humans, in an explosive manner.

i retreat once again to the 10th generation inbred genius argument - which pisses on any scientifically grounded comeback you may have :P

i retreat once again to the 10th generation inbred genius argument - which pisses on any scientifically grounded comeback you may have :P

You going to make any prototype genius inbreds? or are you certain that they will work?

Seems a good idea, some will have more fingers, some might have two brains, two heads, lots of arms.

Be reet.

You going to make any prototype genius inbreds? or are you certain that they will work?

Seems a good idea, some will have more fingers, some might have two brains, two heads, lots of arms.

Be reet.

they'll evolve as required, there'd be no need to interfere.

Inbreeding doesn't always provide negative results. eg. I read somewhere that chavs are evolving bigger gonads than the rest of us because competition over impregnating all the slappers is so intense

Perhaps somebody should send NASA a link to this topic? It'd sort all their problems out in no time.

Putting aside everything else, if you had people live with each other on a small spaceship for many years, they'd soon get fed up with each other. Being geniuses, these people would probably invent ingenious ways of assassinating each other (like maybe creating a toilet with incredible vacuum). That being the case, the only thing that would reach the new planet would be a ship filled with bloody marvelous machines for killing people.

One of the biggest challenges with sending people to Mars is creating a crew of people that will get on with each other, and food that will not go bad. Fact.

So say they can get there traveling faster than the speed of light, what will happen while they are travelling at the speed of light? Will they see the past when they look behind them because the light (information/images) wont be able to catch up with them, and the future when they look in front of their space ship?

nah theyll only see light before earth does

E=mc^2 is the equation for rest mass energy, once you start moving the equation become E= (1/(1-(v/c)^2)^0.5)mc^2, the faster you got the more your mass would increase, so more energy would be needed, so more mass etc in vicious circle.

That's basically what I said, although I must admit, I had not seen the (1/(1-(v/c)^2)^0.5) part of the equation before.

Oh and by the way, once one has left the immediate vicinity of a planet one is barely affected by the gravitational attractions as the force obeys an inverse square law.

F=GmM/r^2

The Sun and the solar system as a whole has a gravitational effect at a further distance although yes, outside the immediate vicinity there is little effect although this will still act on the ship.

Thought so.

Is antimatter simply theoretical, or is there evidence to it's existance? I have a headache and can't be bothered to look on wikipedia haha

One of the biggest challenges with sending people to Mars is creating a crew of people that will get on with each other, and food that will not go bad. Fact.

Definitely can't send TF there then :lol:

As for food, didn't that guy eat a can of 60 year old tinned chicken and was fine? Just fill 'er up with soup and beans lol

Edited by Shaun H

Okay so there's two problems,

One being, the problem of travelling that fast, we need to have a f**king big mass for us to travel anywhere near the speed of light.

Secondly, carrying 6 billion people.

I propose, with the amount of nuclear bombs America and Russia have. They should plant all of their bombs onto the moon. The moon goes 'PABLAMO!!!' (scientifically), lets say when the moon is at a certain point. A 100,000 Megatons o nuclear energy knocks the earth out of orbit and using mental mathematicians they can set up all the trajectory, thus we could get a ride through the solar system on our existing planet to our new star and planet, simply hop off when we arrive.

Okay so there's two problems,

One being, the problem of travelling that fast, we need to have a f**king big mass for us to travel anywhere near the speed of light.

Secondly, carrying 6 billion people.

I propose, with the amount of nuclear bombs America and Russia have. They should plant all of their bombs onto the moon. The moon goes 'PABLAMO!!!' (scientifically), lets say when the moon is at a certain point. A 100,000 Megatons o nuclear energy knocks the earth out of orbit and using mental mathematicians they can set up all the trajectory, thus we could get a ride through the solar system on our existing planet to our new star and planet, simply hop off when we arrive.

And freeze to death on the way...

Bah, nothing six billion pairs of slipper socks won't fix :rolleyes:

there's no reason at all to take everybody.

I vote we take me, all my mates and family, a thousand or three fertile genius types and a bunch of soldiers. I'll rule as an all powerful dictator, the genius types will invent ways of making us go faster and keeping us fed and the soldiers will suppress rebellion and shoot aliens.

it's all very simple - all I need now is a bag load of money

there's no reason at all to take everybody.

I vote we take me, all my mates and family, a thousand or three fertile genius types and a bunch of soldiers. I'll rule as an all powerful dictator, the genius types will invent ways of making us go faster and keeping us fed and the soldiers will suppress rebellion and shoot aliens.

it's all very simple - all I need now is a bag load of money

Can I come too?

Davey

PS: What about a few naughty girls, can we take some of them too... pleeeeeeease?

Edited by Davey

Can I come too?

Davey

PS: What about a few naughty girls, can we take some of them too... pleeeeeeease?

yes

I should have mentioned I was only going to allow beautiful people onboard anyway (we don't want to make a bad impression when we get there)

That's basically what I said, although I must admit, I had not seen the (1/(1-(v/c)^2)^0.5) part of the equation before.

F=GmM/r^2

The Sun and the solar system as a whole has a gravitational effect at a further distance although yes, outside the immediate vicinity there is little effect although this will still act on the ship.

Anti matter does exist, it's very hard to make, it's almost impossible to contain and it's very, VERY explosive. The thing is, the mass of the ship would have to be large for the force of the stars and planets top become noticeable, this is why it's called microgravity, cos it's at a microscopic level.

You can call shotgun all you like but until the spaceship is within your sight it doesn't count- there are rules to adhere to you know. So get back in line like the rest of us!

Ahh i suppose. Anyway i will be long gone before we get there, unless we find a way to travel near the speed of light, but thats near impossible.

on a serious note here....what is stopping us from taking a large spaceship thats quite slow, have a few families on board that mate and over the centuries, keep reproducing and so on until they reach the new earth? then they can send us a post card on how it went :)

I think that would work......