My New £1500 Laptop

Clawz114

Its your laptop, your choice, your money.

My issue is with Dell - they produce these outrageously expensive laptops to make them look like they're something out of this world, especially when you compare to the rest of their range, but in a similar price rage, usually Acers piss all over Dell.

Dell have this whole 'its your choice' thing going on - they make laptops for girly students who want the basics but are more concerned about what their case looks like. Look at their latest advert with the dancing lay-abouts, no mention of specs or performance, just annoying singing and a mention that you can have it in any colour you want.

I don't question the XPS on performance, I'm sure its good - is has to be for such a price tag, however its nothing special. Carbon Fibre effect plastics, big, heavy and lumpy - just looks cheap, aesthetically speaking.

Its not a dig at your purchase, more Dells attitude towards selling a 'top range' laptop, which is only top range compared to the rest of their products. You could probably have got a similar spec laptop with enough change to purchase a few extras to go with it.

However, don't start the Windows/Mac comparison. We've read it a billion times before and it kills topics dead.

I don't question the XPS on performance, I'm sure its good - is has to be for such a price tag, however its nothing special. Carbon Fibre effect plastics, big, heavy and lumpy - just looks cheap, aesthetically speaking.

Care to find me a better one cheaper?

I dont get the whole metal vs plastic thing being such a big deal. Metal dents, plastic doesnt. You expect a high spec gaming laptop to NOT be big, heavy or lumpy? I think your missing the point on why i got it :P

Looking cheap is an opinion, which i disagree with. In the flesh, it looks epic!

Looking cheap is an opinion, which i disagree with. In the flesh, it looks epic!

I can see his point but it's probably down to the picture if anything else. And I bet you're happy with it - you better be! Sure, you pay out of the arse for performance from a laptop but that is a bit of a monster. It's got to keep you busy at work anyway.

And in the future, don't post pictures of l4d when people are ripping your laptop, the game looks like arse! :P

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

Yes, cheap shit plastic might crack under pressure, but your forgetting that there is actually a metal (magnesium alloy) chassis supporting the plastic to prevent if from flexing so much that it snaps or cracks.

If plastic is so bad, why are almost all PC monitor trimmings made out of it?

Why do Shimano make Bottom Brackets with a plastic cup?

Why does my HD camcorder have a plastic housing?

I suppose a lot of those Ashton frames with the plastic seats snap don't they?

Why dont plastic bottles crack and snap?

Why are Rear mech jocky wheels plastic?

I could go on forever with examples of plastics that dont crack or snap easily, but i think ive made my point now.

If plastic is so bad, why are almost all PC monitor trimmings made out of it? They're not being moved around and knocked like a latop's designed to be.

Why do Shimano make Bottom Brackets with a plastic cup? That's not really load bearing and won't ever be knocked or take a sudden sharp impact.

Why does my HD camcorder have a plastic housing? Cheap to produce and lightweight. Also the structure isn't large and flat like a laptop so there is some structural strength to stop flexing/cracking.

I suppose a lot of those Ashton frames with the plastic seats snap don't they? Yup, at the stress points where the bolts hold them on. In theory they shouldn't be load bearing or hit much though.

Why dont plastic bottles crack and snap? Totally different type of plastic which is soft and pliant and therefore almost indestructable in normal use.

Why are Rear mech jocky wheels plastic? Lightweight and probably more importantly quieter than metal. Also again not load bearing and unlikely to be exposed to sharp impacts.

Sorry, not getting at you, just saw that as a challenge :P.

Dell have this whole 'its your choice' thing going on - they make laptops for girly students who want the basics but are more concerned about what their case looks like. Look at their latest advert with the dancing lay-abouts, no mention of specs or performance, just annoying singing and a mention that you can have it in any colour you want.

Well said, what they don't tell you is that if you want anything that isn't black it costs you $40 more.

The reason I got a dell is because I could start with the cheapest model and upgrade what i wanted while keeping stuff like hard drive and ram costs to a minimum.

Edited by JT!

Sorry, not getting at you, just saw that as a challenge :P.

grr! :P

1 word;

Suitcases

Also, the amount of heat it generates wouldnt really go well with a full metal housing...

Even though building one from scratch is cheaper / better spec?

Like i've already said. Someone find me one thats better, and cheaper?

Edited by Clawz114

should have got a mac

Amen lol - although im planning on getting an MSI Wind netbook as I want to have both OS's, you just need both I think. A mate of mine has an XPS laptop as well and we always take the piss out of him because it seems to resemble a chavved-up car with neons lol I can't get over how thick that thing is, but its got all the kit a desktop has I suppose! You obviously bought a laptop cos you want to play games etc in different locations which is fair enough, but a desktop probably would have been more function (as has been said) considering the screen size. Also, why did you post photos of your new laptop and why did you feel the need to tell everybody how much it cost? :unsure:

Edited by Jonny Jones

I was talking to JT but forgot to quote him.

Though I've just realised he's also talking about laptops... I'll get my coat.

ahhh fair enough! :lol:

The finding a laptop thats cheaper + better comment still stands for anyone else though :P

Also, why did you post photos of your new laptop and why did you feel the need to tell everybody how much it cost? :unsure:

I was bored at 2:30 in the morning, and i just felt like showing it to some people who might be interested (which is less people than i thought. Most people just seem to try and pick holes in it, and question why i bought it)

Edited by Clawz114

There is a high definition DVD drive, instead of just a plain DVD drive.

Wait... you brouth a 1500 quid laptop with a HD DVD drive.... that was silly cause HD DVDs are dead(Unfortunately).

EDIT - Wait just read you initial post again cause i skipped over it, it does have a Blue Ray drive not the HD DVD drive you said :P

EDIT - Also refering to your what games can you OSX play... err not many but if you have a nice mac then you can run boot camp and play anything you can on you dell, probably almost just as well, and its really easy to set up. However i will stick to my Desktop more convient for me then a 17" lappy

Edited by Orgun_Donor

Wait... you brouth a 1500 quid laptop with a HD DVD drive.... that was silly cause HD DVDs are dead(Unfortunately).

Its a Blu-ray drive.

When i said high definition DVD drive, i meant, it plays high definition Discs, not HDDVD's.

*edit*

just re-read your edited post :lol:

Edited by Clawz114

I was bored at 2:30 in the morning, and i just felt like showing it to some people who might be interested

I admit boredom has this effect on me too sometimes! Just be careful you don't post too much stuff like the cost of items etc, same goes for Facebook and stuff like that :) God im old and/or boring lol

I do regret posting it now. It was a really stupid thing to do.

Not at all. Its a forum, you're going to get mixed opinions of 'you should have bought X, Y, Z' - however you could have worded the post a little better, simply 'New Laptop' would suffice, seemed more you were bragging about the cost of it than the functionality.

Most people on here have decent systems, most worth well over £1500, the pricetag is no longer a fair judgement on a laptop/desktop these days, sure, it can buy you the top of the range components, but usually they can be equally matched by something half the price.

I used to spend a f**king fortune on computer parts, then I realised its simply not worth it. You pay out the nose for it and a month later its outdated and then considered to be 'shit'. Hence why I avoid most computer forums; they're full of spoilt brats.

But end of the day; its a forum, mixed opinions. If you wanted constant praise you should have gone to the Dell forums and shown it to the Yanks :) But still, its an interesting topic none the less.

Edited by anzo

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh people know how to enjoy themselfs on here.

I love it when people are so sad, they have enough time on their hands to bitch about something they know little about/arn't interested in/just fancy a bitch.

Its no more sad than posting up a bike you've just bought for £xxxx and what components it has and how it rides, NO DIFFERENCE.

He obviously wanted a portable gaming rig, to take to work. Plug in a USB mouse and off you go, gamerz, l33t, rolfcopters and all that. Then someone suggests a mac, why the hell would you want a mac for gaming. You get a mac, either because your a kool cat or you actaully need to use it for a specific reason.

------------------------------

Anyway, looks decent to me. I use a desktop, as I don't need it to move anywhere else than the house. Just got mine running with a 9800gx2 which is running smooth.

While I'm here, tip to any gamers. DO NOT BUY OPERATION FLASHPOINT 2. Its not worth it, just be a good little pirate instead. Codemasters are gay.