Depression And / Or Anxiety?

Hannah Shucksmith

I would first off like to make a point of saying that I am not looking for sympathy or attention and I am aware this probably isn't the best place to ask.

I've recently been diagnosed with both severe depression and anxiety. I know there has been a similar topic quite recently although I'm not sure who posted it and the search function isn't being too helpful. I read that a fair few people on the forum do or previously have suffered with depression and / or anxiety and I'd really like to talk to a few people about how to handle it and generally cope. I've had a gander around the internet and the only forums I can find in relation to both illnesses appear to cater for a vast range of mental disorders or problems.

I don't mind talking over PM or through MSN (as found on my profile).

Edited by Hannah Shucksmith

I had manic depression from about the age of 12 to 20, I was put on doses of Prozac but non of them seemed to make any change.

I cant suggest any magic cures or any particular ways of coping with it, all I can say is it won't last forever. You are still in your teens, your hormones are still kinda all over the place. Thats what I put my depression down to as I didn't have anything stressful in my life to be depressed about so I can only think that my hormones were acting up. As soon as I hit 20 (or around that age) it was like a switch, suddenly I wasn't sad and infact, since then I have been getting happier and happier and it has now left me in the giddy state I am in now.

That's pretty much my advice, just to remember that there is something to look forward to, I don't take much seriously now, life is one big playground and who cares if you make errors or mistakes, as long as your having fun that's what counts. I remember when I was too anxious to even go an buy an ice cream from a van or catch a bus into the next town, now I am fine to catch flights around the world on my own and ask complete strangers stupid questions, life may seem scary, but it's really not.

• Like 3

Thanks Ali (Y) I know what you mean about thinking only good for the future - I've been trying to live by the law of attraction for a while now. I've been depressed on and off since I was around 9 but it's always felt remarkably different to how it is at the moment. I suppose it's just good to talk sometimes; that's one of my problems I think, I tend to bottle up everything until I just explode like I am right now, ha!

I've recently been diagnosed with both severe depression and anxiety.

I didn't realise these things were diagnosed, I thought it was just obvious when you had them.

Seriously though, having labels stuck on it like this isn't helpful - it makes it easier for people to separate themselves from the problem, i.e. "I'm like this because I have bi-polar disorder", etc, etc, and 'cope' rather than 'get rid of'.

If I was you I'd find a good psychotherapist and discuss it with them. Or read a book on CBT. Whilst you're at it, investigate 'mindfulness', it's quite useful.

I've been there too. My best advice is to chin up and take it a day at a time. Once i explained it to my friends they were a better cure than anything the doctors could prescribe. My sketch pad was a great help too. My motocross bike was a god send aswell. Like i said keep your chin up.

I didn't realise these things were diagnosed, I thought it was just obvious when you had them.

Seriously though, having labels stuck on it like this isn't helpful - it makes it easier for people to separate themselves from the problem, i.e. "I'm like this because I have bi-polar disorder", etc, etc, and 'cope' rather than 'get rid of'.

If I was you I'd find a good psychotherapist and discuss it with them. Or read a book on CBT. Whilst you're at it, investigate 'mindfulness', it's quite useful.

I've known since I was very young I've had depression and anxiety. I find having the label stuck on me quite relieving as I can tell myself that I'm not just sad and I'm not just being stupid. I'm being referred to a mental health team where I should be assigned a psychotherapist - obviously it's just nicer to talk to people who can relate to experiences and feelings instead of being dictated to from books and lectures. I do a lot of meditation when I get the chance to and I do find it helps indeed, along with doodling and generally escaping from reality.

:)

Edited by Hannah Shucksmith

I've known since I was very young I've had depression and anxiety. I find having the label stuck on me quite relieving as I can tell myself that I'm not just sad and I'm not just being stupid. I'm being referred to a mental health team where I should be assigned a psychotherapist - obviously it's just nicer to talk to people who can relate to experiences and feelings instead of being dictated to from books and lectures. I do a lot of meditation when I get the chance to and I do find it helps indeed, along with doodling and generally escaping from reality.

That's the problem he's getting at though (which I agree with). This isn't to say you are either of those things, but by having that label to fall back on it makes the problem, and the solution to it seem unobtainable, just something doctors say. If people thought about it with a more everyday perspective they'd be more inclined to just sort it out. I know if I was suddenly diagnosed with depression I'd probably get a whole lot more depressed.

Sorry that's not much help, I kinda don't even know why I just wrote it to be honest, but maybe just try and look at things on a day to day basis rather than a 'this is me, I have depression' basis?

I do a lot of meditation when I get the chance to and I do find it helps indeed

It's the small decisions and changes that make up the bigger lifestyle change. If meditation (or anything) helps you, then make the chance yourself - make it habitual. For example, allow 30 minutes before bed to meditate, or read, or draw - do this every day without fail. That way your brain has a convenient rest from the days' stresses, and you'll probably sleep more soundly for it.

I used to get pretty depressed sometimes, but though some combination of trying to wrench my emotions into order, genuinely not giving a shit, and it wearing off due to hormones, I manage to avoid it.

It's strange though, I had a little tiny pang after I had a dodgy dream. You might try to control your emotions, your sadness, but it is under no circumstances absolute.

Find yourself a boyfriend and have loads of sex that you will make you feel good.

Sometimes works, but not really the most sensitive or applicable solution to the current situation.

Depression is a little more complex than that. I suffered severaly from depression for about 8-9 years and i would honestly say i'm still suffering from it to some degree now (13 years on). I hated the drugs, various forms of prozac; the "numb" sensation didn't do it for me. My pshycotherapist always banged on about finding out what my trigger was, what set me on the downward spiral and work around it. Peronslaly i thought i t was rubbish, i took myself off the drugs stopped seeing the therapist and found my own way through it. It's probably what has made me the cynical, dry witted, blunt barstard that i am today; but then i think it's made me a lot stronger for it. It was me that got me out of it and it is me that is able to cope and control it.

It's very different for everyone, but if you want to talk you've got my msn

Just find a release.... I don't mind anymore but whenever I get stressed first thing that comes out is a hench J the BMX, or gymnasium. I used to have anger issues, now whenever I get pissed out comes the bike and it all goes away, you have to learn to deal with shit how it suits you.

Just find a release....

Its true

For mild depression (not the level to complain about) I coped through drink. I just moved into my own flat, hundreds of miles from the nearest familiar face so naturally I got a wee bit down. Now I don't drink anymore because I got over the loneliness and probably got a bit more insane or whatever...fact is my short term solution solved my problem long term.

You definitly need to find the cause of the depression, it WILL be something, even if its as irritating as the lack of progression in your life, or the lack of direction, but most importantly of all, don't just complain about it DO SOMETHING!!!!!! It annoys me the amount of people who are unhappy with there life and know about it (which is a good start) but don't DO anything! You've got to seriously make a DAMN effort and change your life because no one will do it for you.

Also look at travelling. Admittedly Ive not gone too far (ie abroad) but I've moved from wales for the year as part of a degree change and its opening my eyes to the real world soo much more. I didn't need to do this as I wasn't feeling depressed, but im glad I did it, and even just the change may preoccupy your mind and take it away from whatevers troubling you.

I like to think im incapable of most emotions as im quick to move on and not get attached to stuff, but it can catch everybody out at some point in their life im sure.

EDIT: The sex suggestion is a good one too.

Edited by PaRtZ

I don't get depressed but I get Anxious / Paranoid about everything. That being said my usual sleeping routine is 4am-9/10ish so I'm putting that down to sleep deprivation. Anyone else get those moments where something meaningless will happen but for a split second get into a proper rage for no reason? Again I'm putting it down to lack of sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Hannah im just off to a job interview, but if you or any of you want to talk about depression or anxiety i have been through it and trust me your not alone. I assure you all it will pass and you will become a stronger

person because of it. Add me on Facebook or something and i would be happy to help you with some points on getting over it.

Hey Hannah im just off to a job interview, but if you or any of you want to talk about depression or anxiety i have been through it and trust me your not alone. I assure you all it will pass and you will become a stronger

person because of it. Add me on Facebook or something and i would be happy to help you with some points on getting over it.

That comes as a shock Danny, you always seemed as happy as a blind lesbian in a fish market.

Good to hear you're okay now though.

Thank you. I've thrown you over a friend request :)

as you are aware (unlike most ) ive got screws loose big time.

best thing i found is to find somthing you really love to do and stick to that ...for me art and bike trials also music helps as well as weed....but in fairness weed only masks the problem.

Edited by Dave Anscombe

Just to let you all know, just got a phone call off Hannah in an ambulance. She has taken an overdose of her medication and is currently in hospital.

I have been asked to post this by her, she didn't sound to good.