Stan's New Bike + Video!

Mark W

Totally agree with you Stan, we need to try these ideas in order to see if they work.

Thinking about it, it wont be long till we see Trials frames being produced in full carbon. I Guess through trial and error you will see if it works or not but I have full confidence you guys have thought this through as looking at Adams hub in previous topics you seem to be confident working with carbon which is great to see :)

I probably have the oldest carbon trials part avaliable, Its the carbon mini trials seat off Ian Coopers old titanium Raleigh, was buzzin when I got it lol :)

Totally agree with you Stan, we need to try these ideas in order to see if they work.

Thinking about it, it wont be long till we see Trials frames being produced in full carbon. I Guess through trial and error you will see if it works or not but I have full confidence you guys have thought this through as looking at Adams hub in previous topics you seem to be confident working with carbon which is great to see :)

I probably have the oldest carbon trials part avaliable, Its the carbon mini trials seat off Ian Coopers old titanium Raleigh, was buzzin when I got it lol :)

Awesome stuff :)

Also for anyone whos interested, the bike is now built is gettin ridden tomorrow. Had a quick play in the car park and it felt fine.

Can't wait!

I think its brilliant, However its not the type of thing you would want too do with a few hundred pounds worth of frame at home.

If this idea results in your frame breaking you should totally attempt too get a replacement frame from echo.

Did koxx do something like this once? or onza?

43g off the weight and by the sound of things, not too much of a risk. Can't see any reason why it would add stress to any other area of the frame.

Bit of info for you Stan. My mate Borys who lives over in Oz snapped the downtube on his black sky fairly recently and has had the downtube carbon wrapped. He's been riding it for quite a while now with zero problems. Looks like a good shout.

I'd imagine you could drop best part of 100g off the weight of the frame doing both tubes.

Thumbs up from me

Chris

Unless it's because he actually lacks faith in the frame and didn't want to be with anyone if it didn't hold together lol

Adam spent more time working out and double checking all the maths/physics stuff behind that one tube than a lot of manufacturers would spend on a complete frame. From the sounds of things Stan was beasting it yesterday and it had no problems at all, as we expected. If it does fall apart I guess we'll just have to duct-tape over it or something.

You should of gone with you lot rather than being a loner. Unless it's because he actually lacks faith in the frame and didn't want to be with anyone if it didn't hold together lol

Had other stuff on yesterday so only had a few hours to ride and shipley is over an hour away for me. Anyway these local rocks are sweet, more than a decent test for it. Time will tell whether the carbon is good enough, but so far so good.

43g off the weight and by the sound of things, not too much of a risk. Can't see any reason why it would add stress to any other area of the frame.

Bit of info for you Stan. My mate Borys who lives over in Oz snapped the downtube on his black sky fairly recently and has had the downtube carbon wrapped. He's been riding it for quite a while now with zero problems. Looks like a good shout.

I'd imagine you could drop best part of 100g off the weight of the frame doing both tubes.

Thumbs up from me

Chris

Cheers Chris :) Handy to know that actually. Aye we estimated around 100g for both tubes too. At the moment the frame weighs 1474g including the tensioner bolts, if I remember right. So the weight is in Koxx Sky territory which I'm happy with.

Does the frame not flex a lot without the booster?

That carbon looks sweet, wish i had the knowhow to do something like that.

Frame is deceptively stiff! The tubing is reasonably thick all round and the seatstays "wrap" the tyre quite tightly so there is little room for flex. For reference its a stiff as my Sky which had a built in booster.

Note the lack of a bent downtube.

I think it's going to take more than someone standing on it to prove that's not going to bend. I'd image after a couple of months of use it will start to show signs of bending, because the carbon should of been bounded further down the top tube(in my opinion),

I think it's going to take more than someone standing on it to prove that's not going to bend.

Yeah, it probably would. Fortunately:

First ride went really really well, apart from the puncture I got right at the end, bloody sharp rocks!

Had other stuff on yesterday so only had a few hours to ride and shipley is over an hour away for me. Anyway these local rocks are sweet, more than a decent test for it. Time will tell whether the carbon is good enough, but so far so good.

• 4 weeks later...