Pinch gap help

Herbertlemon102

I need a bit of help with these.

On a good day my gaps are about 7 1/2 feet, however I'm not counting the extra few inches where my back wheel is resting away from the ledge- when I gap (from watching my videos, I seem to be relying heavily on how much I drop the front wheel. But with a gap where my rear wheel is resting actually on the edge, when you try and take off with the same method the rear wheel will just drop down, obviously I've gained a comfort zone with starting a ways back, but with a rail or a thin wall I don't have that luxury; and I have no idea on the technique used for a pinch gap, so I thought I'd ask.

Also, I gap flat, and have no idea how to do that "midair tuck"; if people could elaborate on that too that would be great. On group rides and things I still get the clapped for doing a big gap even with my wierd ass technique, so I dont think it's too bad, but it's definitely hindering my progress for transitions from thin edges, so I'm trying to progress.

Thanks guys

Joel Bennett starts his gaps from about 100 metres from the edge of anything, and still manages to cover distances that just don't look possible. It's a weird style, but it works for him. Not that that means you shouldn't learn another way as well, for rails and whatnot as you've mentioned, but I just thought I'd say you definitely aren't alone.

• Like 3

What is a pinch gap? Does this mean that you jump off the edge and pinch your tire?

it's where you take off from the very very edge of whatever it is you're jumping from, and the technique involved means the tyr compresses almost to the rim when you preload.

it's where you take off from the very very edge of whatever it is you're jumping from, and the technique involved means the tyr compresses almost to the rim when you preload.

Ok. Thanks... so this is what I practice every day but it's kinda hard to find the right position before jumping off.

• Like 1

it's when the wheel "drops" when you jump that I'm trying to get past

Hm.... I kinda get what you mean but want to clarify.

It happens pretty often that when I jump off the edge of sth. that I cannot really jump very far as the wheel drops down as soon as I pedal hard. From what you write (and what I've seen in various videos) it's actually the right position but (as Adam wrote) I would need to jump harder and pedal less?

Hm.... I kinda get what you mean but want to clarify.

It happens pretty often that when I jump off the edge of sth. that I cannot really jump very far as the wheel drops down as soon as I pedal hard. From what you write (and what I've seen in various videos) it's actually the right position but (as Adam wrote) I would need to jump harder and pedal less?

Correct, insead of using the pedal stroke to power you across you're using the spring from the tyre.

• Like 1