Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DK.

2005 Magura HS33 Lever Body Cut Away?

16 posts in this topic

Alright guys, just a quick question thats been bugging me. I've noticed of a few peoples bike that the highlighted section of the Magura lever pictured below is cut away/grinded down on some peoples bikes (on both the back and front of the lever) is there a reason for this or is it due to weight saving? I know these levers are prone to cracking round the back of the lever, is it to prevent this from happening ? Any info would be great.

magura_hs33_lever_2005_right.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prevent it from cracking, they always go there (Y)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The design creates a stress riser, and they tend to crack. Removing material removes the stress riser and makes them stronger.

Your circled area is close, but not quite. Here's a slightly better picture found through the old Google search. You want to remove that extra little corner. You shouldn't be removing anything near the pivot bolt, which would reduce strength.

nye6px.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cwtrials said:

The design creates a stress riser, and they tend to crack. Removing material removes the stress riser and makes them stronger.

Your circled area is close, but not quite. Here's a slightly better picture found through the old Google search. You want to remove that extra little corner. You shouldn't be removing anything near the pivot bolt, which would reduce strength.

nye6px.jpg

does that apply to the other side aswell then ?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Never heard of this.. also have a 2005 lever that I've been riding since 2005.

Edited by AndyT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DK. said:

does that apply to the other side aswell then ?

Yeah. Both sides of the lever blade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cwtrials said:

Yeah. Both sides of the lever blade.

You got a diagram for the front of the lever?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is literally identical.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

It is literally identical.

Cheers Luke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mine started to do this a while ago so I gave it the chop, I think it looks a lot nicer.

15935702_10208691704793697_372009011_n.j
soz 4 shit pic

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ItsMatt said:

mine started to do this a while ago so I gave it the chop, I think it looks a lot nicer.

15935702_10208691704793697_372009011_n.j
soz 4 shit pic

That lever has seen some action

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ItsMatt said:

mine started to do this a while ago so I gave it the chop, I think it looks a lot nicer.

15935702_10208691704793697_372009011_n.j
soz 4 shit pic

That literally looks like its been done with an angle grinder haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should have seen mine ,i bit away the material using cutting pliers then used a file :P 

There is no ''real'' need to cut the top section out as i find its always the underside that take the beats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave Anscombe said:

You should have seen mine ,i bit away the material using cutting pliers then used a file :P 

There is no ''real'' need to cut the top section out as i find its always the underside that take the beats!

I think it looks better if you cut both sides though. No idea what im gonna use to do mine yet

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I held the body in my hand and went at it with a hacksaw then filed in down a bit with a shitty file on a multi tool. tgs spec.

@Herbertlemon102 I think it was burnside's. it's just been roughed up with some sand paper.

Edited by ItsMatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.