2005 Magura HS33 Lever Body Cut Away?

DK.

Alright guys, just a quick question thats been bugging me. I've noticed of a few peoples bike that the highlighted section of the Magura lever pictured below is cut away/grinded down on some peoples bikes (on both the back and front of the lever) is there a reason for this or is it due to weight saving? I know these levers are prone to cracking round the back of the lever, is it to prevent this from happening ? Any info would be great.

magura_hs33_lever_2005_right.jpg

The design creates a stress riser, and they tend to crack. Removing material removes the stress riser and makes them stronger.

Your circled area is close, but not quite. Here's a slightly better picture found through the old Google search. You want to remove that extra little corner. You shouldn't be removing anything near the pivot bolt, which would reduce strength.

nye6px.jpg

15 minutes ago, cwtrials said:

The design creates a stress riser, and they tend to crack. Removing material removes the stress riser and makes them stronger.

Your circled area is close, but not quite. Here's a slightly better picture found through the old Google search. You want to remove that extra little corner. You shouldn't be removing anything near the pivot bolt, which would reduce strength.

nye6px.jpg

does that apply to the other side aswell then ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ItsMatt said:

mine started to do this a while ago so I gave it the chop, I think it looks a lot nicer.

15935702_10208691704793697_372009011_n.j
soz 4 shit pic

That literally looks like its been done with an angle grinder haha!

1 hour ago, Dave Anscombe said:

You should have seen mine ,i bit away the material using cutting pliers then used a file :P 

There is no ''real'' need to cut the top section out as i find its always the underside that take the beats!

I think it looks better if you cut both sides though. No idea what im gonna use to do mine yet

• Like 1