The "jt Can't Understand Simple Things" Thread.

JT!

I've known for a long time that Bulmers and Magners are exactly the same drink. And i love telling people this, even though they don't belive me as they can 'tell a difference'.

I've read that Magners is the Irish brand name, and Bulmers is the rest of the Uk's brand name. Dunno why that is but i'm guessing it's similar reason to why Lynx is called Axe in america, some kind of legal / copyright mumbo jumbo, with conflicting product names with something else in that country.

So, why is Magners more expensive per unit volume? Is it becuase it's technically 'imported'? If that's true why do shops import Magners? Why do some shops and bars stock both?!

Crazy.

I've known for a long time that Bulmers and Magners are exactly the same drink. And i love telling people this, even though they don't belive me as they can 'tell a difference'.

I've read that Magners is the Irish brand name, and Bulmers is the rest of the Uk's brand name. Dunno why that is but i'm guessing it's similar reason to why Lynx is called Axe in america, some kind of legal / copyright mumbo jumbo, with conflicting product names with something else in that country.

So, why is Magners more expensive per unit volume? Is it becuase it's technically 'imported'? If that's true why do shops import Magners? Why do some shops and bars stock both?!

Crazy.

Bulmers is Hereford cider. As is Strongbow :P . Dunno why i mentioned that. Just feel proud i guess.

EDIT: Maybe it's because i'm bored? Maybe i should go to bed?

Edited by max-t

I've never known a shitter post ever in the history of TF that had the most relivent infomation contained within it.

advertising?

there's more brand awareness of magners over here because of the extra marketing put into it, and that money has to be recouped somehow. After reading the wiki I am never buying magners again though. I thought I could taste a difference but it must have been some sort of placebo effect...

i dont have an answer but i have found the same stuff in Co-op. It comes in a can form and is also made by Gaymers and i cant taste the difference yet the stuff i have found is £3.50 for 4 cans! WoopWoop!

Due to student budget i have moved onto lidl's canned cider, £2 for 2 litres.

Before i am slated for my cheapness it is because i save the money to keep my bike running.

isnt bulmers a pear cider??

maybe magners is more expensive because of the amount of ice people drink with it.

or perhaps its just because its more popular

bulmers do make a pear cider which is actually dead nice. Koppenberg for the win on pear ciders though

they're just fashion ciders really, not very nice at all but just the most marketed, like carling and stella

Old rosey is a nice cider, really does rot your brain after a few pints though lol

Its like Deng though, he's got all the differant trials makes like Echo, Zoo, GU etc but it's all the same company

Like Koxx have Yabaa and onza have Zona.

did you know that Pepsi make walkers crisps... or t'uther way aroun... can't remember, so i've been told anyways

Edited by mr ailsbury

Anyway to answer your question; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magners

I've never known a shitter post ever in the history of TF that had the most relivent infomation contained within it.

Commercial cider production was started in Clonmel, County Tipperary in 1935, by local man William Magner.[1] Magner bought the orchard off a Mr Phelan from Clonmel. Magner quickly established a successful business, and in 1937 he joined forces with the English cider-makers H. P. Bulmer and Company.[2] Dowds Lane in Clonmel was the location of this burgeoning enterprise. In 1949 Magner withdrew from the business and the Bulmers name came to the fore. However H.P. Bulmer maintained international rights to the Bulmers trade mark, which prevented the Irish company exporting the brand from Ireland.

However H.P. Bulmer maintained international rights to the Bulmers trade mark, which prevented the Irish company exporting the brand from Ireland.

So presumably that means that the Bulmers you buy in the UK is not the same as Irish Bulmers/Magners?

So that means that the Magners you buy over here IS different to Bulmers?

EDIT: Yup - http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2006/ma...od.foodanddrink

Bulmers and Magners are different drinks, but owned by the same group.

Its something to do with Bulmers being the original cider made by the group, but they wanted to intorduce a new, interesting brand, therefore Magners came about to stir up interest.

The group then re-introduced Bulmers off the back of Magners success and will slowly phase out Magners.

Similar deal to Kopparberg, they're gonna introduce another Swedish brand called Rekorderlig because Wetherspoons bought out the rights to most Kopparberg flavours and now they can't sell them as widely as they'd like.

:D . The SAS camp is here too :D

f**k, I'm sad.

I'm off to bed.

I think if anyone in the Regiment heard you call Stirling Lines a 'camp' you'd get a swift slap.

Interesting OT fact though - All SAS troops are trained trauma medics and have to do a one month posting in the hereford A&E, and when the drunken bufoons come in on a friday night and get lairy with the nurses they occasionally leave with more injuries than they turned up with.

Back on topic though, magners isnt even nice, and the pear ciders not good either, Koppabergs by far the best but this mixed fruits is better anyway.

they're just fashion ciders really, not very nice at all but just the most marketed, like carling and stella

Actually, bulmers / magners is the nicest cider i've tasted. And i've tried loads.

Old roise is shite.

Oh and by the way froggy i did read that link, hence why i said it was the most relivent info.

:)

They contain the same product.

apples?

was drinking gaymers pear off tap the other night in a pub in bristol, was brilliant.

also drank something known as the old bristolian on a boat called the apple. had life 4 halves of that stuff, and i was well feeling it.

There is a taste difference, especially in the 'new' bottled bulmers with the 'new and exciting' labels and magners.

Kopparberg is a great session cider though and im so glad they are bringing rekorderlig over here, the only kopparberg i can find in stores is the apple and pear one (other then a wetherspoons of course)

f**ked if I know why they taste different then. I couldn't objectively tell you which is which, but I can tell one from the other.

It's all in your head. :P