Wheel Build Cheat

Walleee

Im currently using a try all rim, I managed to dent it tonight, probobly due to the number of grinds I've got on it and my crapness, but im considering my options for when I end up needing a change.

Been looking on tarty and the rims im interested are the try all I have allready and the monty 221Ti 07 rim, with square holes, swaying toward the monty as it's cheaper. Both rims have an ERD of 366mm, so I am assuming I won't need to buy new spokes regardless of which I go for, is this right??

With that in mind, can I cable tie y spoke's where they cross over each other in an effort to maintain my spoke pattern, remove all my nipples, swap the rims over, and build up the new wheel making sure to put the spokes back in th same holes, using the tube hole as a referance?

I think i've heard of this being done before as a reason for people riding round with loads of cable ties on their spokes, but can't quite remember.

Hopefully im right and can escape the charge of a wheel build, I assume once it's built it's a case of getting equal tension and truing the rim?? If need be I could bring it to a local shop and ask them to finish it for me, but I want to do as much as I can myself.

Cant find the pic, Inur.

But for the original question, a much easier way to swap rims is to put the rims side-by-side so that the valve holes stay at the same spot and connect them with zip-ties or some duct tape and swap the spokes over one-by-one. Just make sure to loosen up all the spokes on the old wheel first, because otherwise the spokes won't reach the new one. And start with the spokes that are the closest to the new rim. i.e if you put the new rim to the left side of the old wheel then you start with the spokes on the left flange.

undo all your nipples but so they are still attached, tape you new rim next to your old rim and move your spokes over one by one, turning the nipple the same number of times (say 6 turns initially) , cut the tape so you have you new rim on your old spokes and hub and old rim separately, then go round the rim tightening them equally (so the next time round do them up 4 times or whatever) this keep the rim true and have equal spoke tension. if there is a buckle when the spokes are tight, then just true it.

sorry about shitty spelling and grammar, i'm so tired.

Cheers guys, your way seems a bit easier than mine!!

What about spoke tools? What's a good one to get?? My spokes measure about 3.44mm flat to flat.

Park tools are good for the money, around £4 i think from halfords. I've had a funky L shaped one made by cylo/cyclo/something to that effect for a while now and its been great, if anything much better than the park tool one due to the (what i find to be) a much nicer shape. It was only £4.50 as well.

Edit, inurs icetoolz are the same as the park ones in design.

Edited by Krisboats

Spotted a park tool one at 3.45mm but it's £7, spose if im getting the rim from them they can measure and find out the size in MM of those ones....

Probobly should have done this all last week when the weather was gash....

It might be worth getting a multi-size spoke key because your nipples (if you measured them right) aren't the ones you usually find on decent bikes - in my experience anyway. Most bikes take the green Park one which is 0.33cm I think. So if you bought one for your spokes it might not work on any other wheels, which would be a bit annoying. I bought one of THESE - it's much nicer than the Park sharp-cornered triangle one IMO.

Or you could just get some more nipples from somewhere and use new ones - I have loads of nipples lying around that I never use, I'm sure you must know someone near you who does.

Yep, it's the quickest way of doing it.

Loosen all the spokes your wheel. (don't remove the nipples at this stage)

Tape/zip tie your rims together - new rim on the drive side. (I find it easier this way) - make sure the holes match up!

Start swapping the drive side spokes one at a time.

Then the non-drive side.

Tighten the spokes evenly.

Ture and dish as required.

Sorted.

And I can recommend a Spokey - they are the best by far.

go to a local bike shop, go and find a red spokey. then you can join the uber cool red spoker club, prawn has been disbanded from the club as he disrespected the power of the spokey by losing his.

spokey.jpeg

but any of the top ones here will do link

or the super spokey is yellow and better

105150.jpg

Edited by ben_travis