Bar Extenders

clarkytrials

I just chopped off half an inch of bar from some old bars and wacked em on underneath the grips, held on with the bar plug.

This wasn't my bike, and was a jump bike so I suppose you don't hold on as close to the ends of the bars as you do in trials.

I could possibly make you some for like £10 or something but Edd Potts would probs do it cheaper and with a faster turn around... It's similar to a Quill system that I have in mind thats used in 1 inch headtubes.

That would be a bad idea, they would just slip and fall out under enough pressure.

I would love to see Ali's made of wood.

You make your own, get some dowel, hammer it into the end of your bar until their is the right legnth sticking out then wrap tape round it until it is the same diameter as the bar, then wack your grips over the top.

ODI's wouldn't quite work, because then there would only be one collar on the bar, causing them to rattle and get damaged. Also the middle of them's only thin plastic, not metal, and wouldn't really be safe to rely on. Although if you do use bar extensions ODI's would be a great way of making sure they were a bit more secure, and making sure you cant feel the transition between bar and extension.

Whats wrong with using wood :S, ali and iolo both use wood.

Matx

as do i and works perfectly

You make your own, get some dowel, hammer it into the end of your bar until their is the right legnth sticking out then wrap tape round it until it is the same diameter as the bar, then wack your grips over the top.

tut use a lathe. doing it your way would allow that extenders to slip into the bar if you crash and hit the end of the bar.

sorry for double post

back in the day, people bought Renthal motocross bars @ 34" wide!!!!!!! I had a pair on my X stam hahaha

It was way more fun bodging and inventing. Now it's too easy, you got it all on a plate. I want DCD union jack chain guides, long bodied XC mech's, 12.5 Azonic frames and beasts of the east!!!

tut use a lathe. doing it your way would allow that extenders to slip into the bar if you crash and hit the end of the bar.

Yeh, can't quite understand who kuelmuel think's he's helping with the advice he's given in this thread, two way's to injure oneself maybe????

PM Inur, or else look in the topic he started for building up an adamant stock with 20" wheels, you will be able to find the thread from his profile. He has put up dimensioned drawings for extenders.

Yeh, can't quite understand who kuelmuel think's he's helping with the advice he's given in this thread, two way's to injure oneself maybe????

PM Inur, or else look in the topic he started for building up an adamant stock with 20" wheels, you will be able to find the thread from his profile. He has put up dimensioned drawings for extenders.

Well funnily enough, I was trying to help the guy who started the thread! Imagine that. If it was wedged into the bar well enough and you were running closed ended grips and the extender was only 1" long then I can't see any way they could come out, it would only be your little fingers that would be on the end anyway.

The wood would need to be a tight fit on the bar (obviously), I was just generating ideas. I have never used wood before.

Personally I would make some metal ones with an expanding rubber wedge, but you have to also think of the extra weight hanging from the ends of your bars.