First Car Wtf

Billy

1.3i Mini. ;)

Small (extremely) cheap - Bought mine for £1400 (N reg Sidewalk)/. £12 to fill up, £954 insurance with Quinn-Direct.

Pretty nippy aswell, so light, and with the 1.3, it's pretty quick. Mine kept up with everything on the dual carriageway after picking it up...

Very bumpy car though, stiff suspension. Meaning you feel every pot hole, stone, peice of grass. :turned:

Pretty simple inside too, heating is either on/off, car/windscreen, hot/cold. None of this fancy 'on face and feet, on face not feet' malarky. Just simple, britich controls. :P

I can fit my bike in it too, baring in mind it's a mod... Take the front wheel out, turn the bar+stem round, and it fits perfectly on the back seat. (Y)

Something like this?

I thought it was slightly illegal to have it misregistered as a less powerful car though :S

pretty sure it's very illegal and you probs need to really know the person who's going to mot it for you before you'd get away with it.

yes yes yes....306 TD ***!

This is my 3rd car, but its easily the best I have had, nice to drive, nippy, doesnt dring fuel, engines last forever. They are a nice size too, with the split rear seats you can get 3 people and 3 bikes in no problems even leaving the rear wheels in. I went to france with 3 people and 3 bikes...over 1000 miles and not one problem.

they do have one bad point though, the electrics are a bit naff, my rear window heater has never worked, the passenger side window doesnt go back up when using the drivers side controls and the indicator noise randomly goes on if lots of electrics are being used.

Pretty cheap insurence too, I am 23 and its costs me £440 a year, the same as my 1ltr 106 did last year.

306 D-turbo. Super cheap to buy, super cheap to insure (same group as 1.4 petrol, group 5) and even cheaper to run.

Plus they run for fooking ages, easily hit 200k miles with more to give.

Look at other topics on here too, been asked and discussed a few times. :)

This is my 3rd car, but its easily the best I have had, nice to drive, nippy, doesnt dring fuel, engines last forever. They are a nice size too, with the split rear seats you can get 3 people and 3 bikes in no problems even leaving the rear wheels in. I went to france with 3 people and 3 bikes...over 1000 miles and not one problem.

I agree that the 306 is a loverly car, brilliant to drive and mahoosive for a little car (4 bikes 4 people ***). I do however have to disagree with the reliability front. Mine wasn't the turbo just a standard 1.9 diesel and it kept breaking. I didn't rag it at all just one day decided to blow a gasket, then the next one, then the next one (it went through about 6 in a month luckily I only paid for one)

Although, saying that I hit a pheasant that cracked the rad, so everything overheated and died, but I fixed that and it still broke so meh. I would buy another one though.

My clio on the other hand, I've been ragging it about like a chav for the past year and it will not break, believe me I've tried. It doesn't sound too healthy but it just keeps on going. This is the first french car I've ever seen that wont let go of life.

306 D-turbo. Super cheap to buy, super cheap to insure (same group as 1.4 petrol, group 5) and even cheaper to run.

I agree that the 306 is a loverly car, brilliant to drive and mahoosive for a little car (4 bikes 4 people ***). I do however have to disagree with the reliability front. Mine wasn't the turbo just a standard 1.9 diesel and it kept breaking. I didn't rag it at all just one day decided to blow a gasket, then the next one, then the next one (it went through about 6 in a month luckily I only paid for one)

Although, saying that I hit a pheasant that cracked the rad, so everything overheated and died, but I fixed that and it still broke so meh. I would buy another one though.

My clio on the other hand, I've been ragging it about like a chav for the past year and it will not break, believe me I've tried. It doesn't sound too healthy but it just keeps on going. This is the first french car I've ever seen that wont let go of life.

dont think there are many if any jap friendly cars for insurance around the 18 year mark?

i was quoted 2 and a half thousand on a crx 91 1.6 vtec, cant wait for my years no claims (Y)

my 18 year old chum pays £1000 for a 1.3 toyota starlet turbo, tpft with bell. its not slow either..

Edited by huge

My first car (still driving it after about 6 years or so) was/is a Corsa B. 1ltr 12v. Ive got 5 years no claims now and just renewed my insurance today for £271 fully comp in my name with Direct Line, awesome company.

Only downside is that its got no power (55bhp I think) so struggles up hills (but ive had an 11 sec 0-60 time out of it which isnt too bad I guess), it handles like a bag of soil (unless you upgrade the suspension and wheels which is pointless as its a Corsa and im sure you wouldn't want to become a stereotype overnight haha) - but its quite good on fuel consumption and is super reliable, has only failed to start once two years ago when the battery died, AA sorted that within an hour (was a Sunday morning lol).

But yeah, all comes down to what you can afford. Best of luck mate, but yeah Id recommend a Corsa for your first car, purely cos of the reliability and MPG traits... or a 306 TD, from the looks of other posts lol.

Jonny.

Edited by Jonny Jones

I would and am going for the polo. But yeah, If you want a newer car (I'm getting a 1988 model. haha) then the 306 diesels are good cars, they really do last forever engine wise.

Only word of warning, is that if they say airbag, don't believe it for shit, out of 6 people I know who've crashed 106/206's, one's airbag has gone off properly. 3 of them just didn't go off, one the charge when off but it didn't inflate, so it just badly burned his already broken thumb, and the other went off long after the crash as he was coming round and gave him a black eye.

So yeah, Peugeot airbags don't work for shit.

Jonny sounds like you're paying a lot there.

I'm only paying £320 with just 2 years no claims and an accident declared. (that's on a 1.2 clio) I wouldn't have thought a 1 ltr corsa would be in a higher insurance group.

Hmm odd. Depends how old the car is I guess, mines an S (1998) Reg, where its kept (mines on the driveway), where you live, blah blah. Its also a GLS so its got power steering, elec windows and wing mirrors, airbag, sunroof etc, I dunno insurance is odd but theres always little things that bump it up. But im happy to be honest, when i started driving I was paying £1,800+.

JJ.

Well good, thanks so much for all the replies. I'll keep me eye out for a 306 TD (Y) Just one thing though, aren't there any with smaller sized engines, just for the sake of bringin t'insurance down a bit?

Just looked at insurance for one of those.

£1780 was the lowest for me.

A 1.1 106 from the same year was £2130 :S