Which Slr/lenses Do You Use?

charlie >est<

it doesn't matter what ,memory card/computer you have, it's you and the camera that make the picture.

That isnt entirely true. You could still get a poor shot with an EOS 1D. Its all about the skill and knowlage of the photographer. Theres a hell of alot to think about in photography e.g. Exposure, Shutter speeds, Composition, Is the lens cap on (I do that all the time) [slightly embarrasing]

Obviously the better camera the better the quality of the image. But the better the photographer the better the Photograph no matter what camera (within reason)

That isnt entirely true. You could still get a poor shot with an EOS 1D. Its all about the skill and knowlage of the photographer. Theres a hell of alot to think about in photography e.g. Exposure, Shutter speeds, Composition, Is the lens cap on (I do that all the time) [slightly embarrasing]

Obviously the better camera the better the quality of the image. But the better the photographer the better the Photograph no matter what camera (within reason)

No shit sherlock. Hence why he said "it's you and the camera".

No shit sherlock. Hence why he said "it's you and the camera".

Sorry, My bad, I didnt read it right. Anyway, can we get back to the normal thread. I seem to end up arguing in every thread I make or post on.

What SLR/Lenses do you use?

Edited by charlie >est<

It'd say "Edited at..." if he had.

Um, Canon EOS30D soon enough, Tokina 10-17 for the BMX random stuff, 18-55 kit lens for the general stuff, Sigma 70-300 for miscellaneous stuff. Couple of Sigma flashes, cheap Jessops tripods 'cos I can't be arsed spending money on something that someone's going to break by falling off their bike and maiming.

Mike put up a long list of stuff that he uses on P1, that I think you even commented on...

Sorry to bring it back up, but isn't this supposed to be a thread about YOUR equipment, rather than "list every computer and camera in my house so it makes me seem cooler and richer than everyone else".

Everyone who listed their laptops as far as I know they are there own, IE bought with their own money, for their own use, and if they wanna take a shit on them they can do and their parents wont go tits, rather than listing mummy or daddys computers. I know mine and Nicks certainly are, and even though I didn't buy my iMac, it was bought for me as a present, but I didnt feel the need to list is as I dont actually use it for my photos. But anyway, stop being an immature child and trying to boast because in life theres always someone richer, better and more experienced than you, so get used to it.

I certainly have never earned enough money to buy a laptop, I'm still sponging off parents, birthdays, student loans etc. As are most people in this thread I'm sure (couple of exceptions). In fact, I think it's a bit rich talking down to him because he didn't buy his laptop with his own money since I'm fairly sure you didn't!

On a similar note, I actually DID buy my 30D last summer after working for 3 weeks solid to afford it, but that's about the only thing I own like that lol. Everything else is from sponging. I'll be earning money soon enough though :D

Yeah. true. thats why I didnt put my computers down untill everyone else did. lol :)

They didn't you 'tard! They just put down the laptop that forms part of their photographic kit. I.e. in those cases they used the computer mainly for photo/photo influenced work, and it was essential to what they were doing.

Listing about 20 Mac's is just totally off the topic.

Fairly new to the hole photography thing but i have:

canon EOS 300D

canon 18-55mm

and a zoom but not sure what it is havent used it yet haha only taken the cam out once or twice, got a few nice shots but nothing mind blowing.

will post up when im capable of somthing decent if im honnest i dont have much of a idea with kit ect only really just started taking a intrest

cheers Jack (Y)

Fairly new to the hole photography thing but i have:canon EOS 300Dcanon 18-55mmand a zoom but not sure what it is havent used it yet haha only taken the cam out once or twice, got a few nice shots but nothing mind blowing.will post up when im capable of somthing decent if im honnest i dont have much of a idea with kit ect only really just started taking a intrestcheers Jack (Y)
Nice, I've seen a couple of your photo's on your DP.
Sorry to bring it back up, but isn't this supposed to be a thread about YOUR equipment, rather than "list every computer and camera in my house so it makes me seem cooler and richer than everyone else". Everyone who listed their laptops as far as I know they are there own, IE bought with their own money, for their own use, and if they wanna take a shit on them they can do and their parents wont go tits, rather than listing mummy or daddys computers. I know mine and Nicks certainly are, and even though I didn't buy my iMac, it was bought for me as a present, but I didnt feel the need to list is as I dont actually use it for my photos. But anyway, stop being an immature child and trying to boast because in life theres always someone richer, better and more experienced than you, so get used to it.
Well... Im the 'computer guy' of the house realy. so there mine realy. kinda.

i dont no what to post so ill just post my gear

Nikon d50(got silver when i baught it, but it f**ked THANK GOD i got a black one back)

battery pack

18-55 kit lense

nikon 50mm f1.8

Sigma ef500 super flash <<<BEAST

wireless triggers

remote control wireless shuttery thingy ma bob

sum cheap as tripod

lowepro orion trekker, i had a slingshot (the medium one) and i hated it

got my eye on a few fisheyes though, thats next on my list.

ive used fatmikes 10-17 and that was amazing, the peleng only tempts me cos its so cheap, but the manual focus puts me right off, i think ill just have to save some more and get somthing along the lines a 10mm, as i think anything less might be a bit to wide.

whats your 10.5 like joe, have you got an pics at 10.5mm?

Edited by Davetrials

I certainly have never earned enough money to buy a laptop, I'm still sponging off parents, birthdays, student loans etc. As are most people in this thread I'm sure (couple of exceptions). In fact, I think it's a bit rich talking down to him because he didn't buy his laptop with his own money since I'm fairly sure you didn't!

On a similar note, I actually DID buy my 30D last summer after working for 3 weeks solid to afford it, but that's about the only thing I own like that lol. Everything else is from sponging. I'll be earning money soon enough though :D

I paid for half of mine, the other half was paid for by my parents as a birthday present.

ive used fatmikes 10-17 and that was amazing, the peleng only tempts me cos its so cheap, but the manual focus puts me right off, i think ill just have to save some more and get somthing along the lines a 10mm, as i think anything less might be a bit to wide.

whats your 10.5 like joe, have you got an pics at 10.5mm?

Manual focus isn't a problem with the Peleng. I don't think I ever actually needed to 'focus' it. Just set it between 1m and infinity and you're ready to go.

pelengs absolutely rape your IQ, unless you're buying weapons, i'd steer clear of cheap russian stuff.

Not sure what you based that on. :) The IQ of the Peleng (and the Zenitar too) was excellent, both sharp as nails. A bit of CA in the corners, but nothing you wouldn't get from any other fisheye, and I'd certainly say the Peleng was sharper than the 10-17!

Ian, if you're gonna want a "proper" fisheye on a crop cam, you've got a few but not that many options:

Sigma 8mm f/3.5 & f/4 lenses. Both great, but you'd need to crop out the edges.

Peleng 8mm f/3.5. Again great, less cropping to do than on the sigma 8mm (slightly larger imaging circle). Not autofocus, but as I mentioned, this really isn't a problem on such a lens!

Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5. Great IQ, very flexible.

Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8. Again, great IQ.

Really if you're on a budget get the Peleng, if you want to be flexible, get the Tokina, if you want fixed but better IQ, get the Nikon. (Y)

:)

mike, i may have been wrong, but from what i've seen (mostly on POTN, but a lot of people on there have gear and don't know how to use it) it was all soft in the middle and just looked like it had raped all the colour from everything.

my pelengs great,

anyway my stuff

400d with grip

18 55 kit

sigma 70-300 4-5.6 apo

cheapo canon 220ex flash

off camera flash cord shoe

wireless flash transmitters

peleng 8mm

manual 50 1.7

The 10.5mm Nikkor is an incredible lens by all means, and of all the lenses on offer at that width I'd recommend it.

It's fast, it's accurate, it gives incredible colour reproduction, it looses very little detail in shadow areas and it's so sharp you'll need gloves!

Whilst the below photo isn't exactly the best photo in the world, I do believe it shows how well the lens works. It's a low light situation, the depth of field offers sharpness throughout all of the foreground right into the corners, whilst dropping the reflections out of focus. You can still pick up shadow detail in the darker reflections and outside in the top right of the frame. Love it!

1/40th, f/3.5, ISO 400

4po4jrq.jpg

In daylight with fill-in flash it's beyond belief!

Maybe it's just me being old and grumpy, but does it really matter what camera gear you use? Surely it's the quality of your shots which matters.

For the record I have a dSLR. There are many like it, but this is my dSLR. I have a bag full of lenses which I know well, some of which I want to upgrade, and others i'd never want to be without. The most important bit of my camera gear is the time to go and get shots.