Trials: Dying Sport?

Revolver

my mate described trials as a dying sport... perhaps its because younger generations are more into sports that give them adrenaline rushes

or maybe its because trials takes such a long time to master?

What do you guys reckon?

:blink: what does trials do then?

"my mate described trials as a dying sport"

I disagree. I think that trials is bigger than it has ever been. When I stopped riding about six years ago you were limited to Ashton,Hawyes,akrigg replica bikes, Megamo and Monty and the odd Handsome Dog/Planet X frame. I've got back into trials again this year after six years out and am amazed by how much the sport has progressed. To be "good" back in the day you could sidehop (yes from two wheels), up, gap,drop and balance. Looking at the sheer size of things people are doing now and the frontwheel moves and stuff I think the sport has improved loads. There are also loads of munufacturers making trials specific equipment and you actually have a good choice of components for the bikes. I'm looking forward to seeing how the riding looks in another five years time if it carries on at this rate.

Sutty

Edited by Sutty22

The population of 'trials riders' is definitely on the increase. The sport has been growing at a steady rate since it started and isn't showing any signs of change... All trials brands are getting bigger (not including the shit ones) ... What i'm trying to say is:

post-10393-1185806131_thumb.jpg

:)

Edited by Quackers

Dying sport? Are you kidding?

Trials is still unknown by most people, it's only now starting to become more mainstream - 5 or 10 years ago you'd not see bashrings and that in your local bike shop.

Trials is booming, mainly thanks to Onza / Saracen / other cheap bike manufacturers. If all the frames were still £500 like the olden days then trials probably would by dying.

It's gotta be the fastest up and coming sport there is!

Apart from extreme handsfree chess of course.

no its not gone pete tong yet.

trials bike sales are still steady away through the shop. and if im totally honest, the price of sales have gone up alot if anything, people are spending £800/1300 without even questioning.

Like sutty has said, 6/7 years ago as i was just starting, it was at its early stages where "trials" specific stuff was hard to get, over the years people/companies have taken the plunge into "trials specific" parts, if anything people/kids nower days are luckier than ever.

Did he say a dying sport "competition wise"? as he cant have really meant it from a "people having/riding trials" and even so competitions up here have never been as popular. turning 100 or so entries per event.

Wayne.

Edited by Waynio

It's getting bigger, but the main people who are filling the spaces are little chavvy 13 year olds that have mission prodigies and think they're 'ard as f**k, then mummy and daddy come along and buy them 800 quid bikes and they can barely bunnyhop a kerb.

Edited by Fat Pants

It's getting bigger, but the main people who are filling the spaces are little chavvy 13 year olds that have mission prodigies and think they're 'ard as f**k, then mummy and daddy come along and buy them 800 quid bikes and they can barely bunnyhop a kerb.

yeah, that annoys me.

careful now, we dont want this topic ending up in Martyn Ashtons columb as well...

Nah, I heard/read about that colum, and he was wrong to say it pisses him off when newbs ask for advice. I've asked for advice, and i've given it, it's just the chavvy kids that, as i said, think they're 'ard as f**k, with shit bikes because they want to look cool on a weird looking seatless bike, and ride it around in a non trials way, then it pisses me off even more when they get a decent bike and continue to do f**k all trials on it and might just learn how to pedal kick.

I think this year we've seen some things that the sport has needed. Things like the competition in blackpool, right in the general publics face. Before it was just out in fields and at things like the bike show so it was only really other riders that got to see it. Nowadays people are doing their own demo's and things at village fairs and things like this and theres more people out riding on the streets. Its only been recently that the majority of chavs and the public in general have actually started to recognise it as "that trials stuff" rather than bmx'ing.

I think the increase in equipment and wide availability of parts is helping also, as people don't have to really look for them as though they were part of some kind of underground cult. Bikedock, chainreactions and other big biking stores have started selling more parts so people can find bits much more easily... not to mention the amount of rider-owned companies that have been set up and are thriving. Tartybikes, heatsink, select, cleanbikes, mjcycles, trialsman on ebay... they're all owned by people who know what they're on about and who are genuine and helpful people who keep in contact with the riders through here.

Which brings me onto here. Most people nowadays have a computer and the internet, especially in the last couple of years or so. We have it so easy making contact with other riders that you soon make friends and have people to help you progress and have a laugh with. Most of the people i ride with now i've met solely through this site, with a suprisingly large amount of riders nearby. Hell we've even had the wiki map system put up within the past couple of days so people going to a new place will be able to go round to all the riding places the locals use, which increases the chances of meeting people who may still not use this site.

Trials is getting interesting now, and its something that continuously impresses people. Theres no way its a "dying sport" (Y):D

perhaps its because younger generations are more into sports that give them adrenaline rushes

I'd disagree with it being a dying sport... but the statement above seems to be true, that's why we have so many kids doing these stupid drop-gaps. Surely freeride would be the better alternative for such people?

for the people that say "well what sort of a sport gives you an adrenaline rush"

if any of you get chance to go to fort william and take a decent DH bike and £20.00 for a days uplift, id really advise you do it, i did the thursday before the fort william cup and i can honestly say it was the best thing iv done all year. hitting things with such speed, or turning SOOOO quickly into 90 degree bends and stuff.

its mind blowing, i dont seem to get an adrenalin rush like that out of trials but i feel the technical stuff in trials is good and balance etc makes trials very interesting.

Wayne.

You ask most "MTB" riders, if they can bunnyhop and most say "wow id love to be able to do that" to us trials riders that can be easy, or stopping balancing eyeing saomething up then conquering, MTB'ers would love to be able to do things like that (if they cant already do it)

Wow, the amount of posts already is immense!

Well, it's not me who thinks its dying, be sure of that.

I think that, like most activities nwadays its evolving, as people have said, new skills have emerged and slowly the term 'trials fundamental' has gone from meaning good balance and getting up stuff to stuff like pedalkicks, backwheel moves and even front-wheel moves

Trials i think is the best type of bike sport because, yes it takes a long time to learn (and I'm only slightly on the way) but the reward is true mastery of your bike. Adrenalin sports like downhill teach people how to hurtle down the side of mountains without dying (much), which is a rush, because I've tried it. But who could say that being able to turn any object in town or countryside into something to use is not both cool and a credit to the rider?

I think my mate may have only been saying it's dying because of the sheer outnumbering of trials riders to other bike sports, particularly bmx and downhill. In fact, i know someone myself who defected to bmx, and i'm trying to turn him back =)

Long live trials (Y)

why would it?

I've done freeride, trials, downhill and street in my life, and no bicycle sport gave me such a rush as freeride/downhill (it's fairly similar until you start treating it seriously and racing against time). I hated having to walk up hills all the time and soon got bored of the spots i was riding over and over again so went over to street. But if there were mountains around me and a good way of getting up them without using ones own muscles, I'd still be a freerider.

MBUK.jpg

Just out of curiosity when exactly was that thread? Because if its the one i'm thinking of i'm pretty sure people were talking about how the new riders who get everything paid for by mum and dad, who can't ride, constantly come out with crap/misbehave at rides then give up soon after realising trials isn't for them and how they are not the sort of people who progress into the sport. We also touched on how we thought they lost a certain pride and connection you have with the bike if you work hard for your money and build it yourself, rather than picking a load of shiny coloured bits off the tarty site and forward the bill to mummy and daddy. We were talking about the appreciation and the determination of seeing it through and how we felt sorry for those that would never know this.

I don't mean to take this off topic but if thats the thread he read i think he got his wires crossed soemwhere along the lines and didn't read what was being said. I know i wrote something similar to the above because its what i believe, its my opinion. I do feel sorry for those who never experience that connection with the sport because they expect it all to come so easily. On a side note (and this is just completely hypothetical here) i wonder if martyns column would have been read/remembered by quite as many people if it wasn't a shocking story about how stupid the guys on trials forum are and how we want to keep the sport to ourselves? Of course i'm just spitballing here... not suggesting anything am i :huh: ?

Edited by Krisboats

I've done freeride, trials, downhill and street in my life, and no bicycle sport gave me such a rush as freeride/downhill (it's fairly similar until you start treating it seriously and racing against time). I hated having to walk up hills all the time and soon got bored of the spots i was riding over and over again so went over to street. But if there were mountains around me and a good way of getting up them without using ones own muscles, I'd still be a freerider.

That'll be why these kids are doing stupid drop gaps then :rolleyes:

Edited by afroman