Mobile Phone Contracts

Luke Rainbird

3 (Mobile phone company) are appalling

I took out a contract with them in December, £15 a month for 18 months, 18 month contract, Nokia 6280r.

I was told that I would receive the free handset, and that there was good to excellent coverage at home and in the surrounding area.

I was also told that if I had any problems with the handset for the duration of the contract, it would be repaired/replaced free of charge

Since the very start, I had problems with the handset I was given, and it was constantly being sent back to them to be repaired.

I say "repaired", however all they did was reset the factory settings, and send it back in the same non-working state.

This happened time and time again, with each call either resulting in them hanging up on me, or being rude and obnoxious, and then telling me "it wasn't their problem" or words to that effect) until one time they sent it back with a broken screen, and tried to charge me £30 for it. I rang, spoke to them (yet another of the many 45 minute calls that I've had to them) and they agreed to not charge me for their mistake, which was nice!

Again, more problems, until they decided that it was time to replace the handset.

A few days later, along comes a shiny refurbished phone. All looking good, until you try to turn it on, and nothing happens...

I called time and time again, but was always either hung up on, or told that there was nothing they could do.

This was great, as they hung up enough that my 14 day period expired, so they "didn't have to do anything"

A week ago, I finally got the phone back to them, and they looked it over.

Today, I spoke to them (they called whilst I was driving, so I phoned them back for another lengthy expensive call filled with poor manners and bad customer service) and was told that the phone, which "had passed all tests" before being given to me, had liquid damage, and was un-repairable. I was then told that it would cost around £50 for a replacement, despite not having even used this handset as it refused to switch on!

Eventually they informed me that I could pay £20 and have another refurbished handset, though I really don't have faith that the situation will be any different.

I asked about cancelling the contract, as they have given me nothing but grief and poor service (even the managers I spoke to were rude, interrupted and shouted at me!) including the fact that a few weeks after taking out the contract, all signal for miles around my home was lost and still hasn't returned.

I was told that it would cost over £300 to cancel (as I would have to pay line rental for the rest of the period)

Where do I stand, and what can I do about it?

I really don't want to be with 3 any more, as they have provided me with faulty handsets and appalling coverage, let alone the outrageous customer service. However, I don't want to pay £300 to end the contract early, or the £150+ or whatever to continue the contract and let it expire.

I shall be writing a strongly worded version of the above to them later on, but could do with a little help from anyone who knows stuff!

Cheers guys, sorry for the essay...

i'm with 3 and yes...they are utterly appalling

my handset broke, and i had insurance with them, so i phoned them and asked for a replacement, they then completely denied i had any sort of insurance? it even stated on my bills that id paid for it...wankers

they then got pissy when i canceled the direct debit (sod paying for a service i cant make use of), i had an incomprehensible man ring me up and start talking in a language i dont understand...

haha, no way...just got a call from them halfway through writing this...whinging about not having direct debit again? tits...

anywho, yeah, im gonna get out of this contract as soon as i can, its shit, i cant use half my supposedly great features that i have to pay for (video calling, and shit) cos its not supported around here (have to travel 30 miles...) that they claimed i could use

wangers:(

oh yeah luke, gonna have a pm from me in a second about the v brake :)

This will only work if you class yourself as a nerd (not saying I'm a nerd :unsure:)

You could get a phone flashing tool of the internet somewere. Try www.torrentspy.com (this isnt illegal or pirating...)

Then you could plug it in to your computer yourself and flashing it, this basically re-installs the firmware on the phone.

Or go to your bank. there must be a way to stop money going out to certain places :D

EDIT: I'm with 3 and O2. I never have signal on 3. and the O2 one dont work :S meh. I hate phones (apart from the iPhone... obviously.

Edited by cjskate

Better then 3's asian's god they drive me mental

Careful...

With any problem like this, the important thing to do is to keep records of what happens and when. Take photos of damage, records of calls and the names of who you spoke to, and also keep tabs on the cost of the calls. If you've received bad service, then keep escalating, get names of managers and ask for their senior managers name.

If you have a month's service, spend £50 on calls, and spend 6 hours on hold with 5 different handsets, then take it to Trading Standards, Ofcom, and possibly the media. The more evidence you have the better.

Unlucky.

I know what it's like, all these mobile phone companies are just out to make money at the end of the day though.

I've recently got a new contract with O2, 20 quid/month for 12 month. I talked to the a sales assistant, to try and choose the best phone for me. In the end I got a Nokia 6233, sweet phone if I don't say so myself. However, the contract isn't only a rip off, but the sales assistant told me network coverage was ace in all areas, as I do a lot of camping etc. I mean I can't even get a full signal in my local town/city!

Oh, and the contract is handset free - £20/month - 50 mins | 50 texts.

Think I'm gonna try Vodafone next, seems promising.

Anyway, good luck sorting your phone thing out.

Edited by 531joshua

Unlucky.

I know what it's like, all these mobile phone companies are just out to make money at the end of the day though.

I've recently got a new contract with O2, 20 quid/month for 12 month. I talked to the a sales assistant, to try and choose the best phone for me. In the end I got a Nokia 6233, sweet phone if I don't say so myself. However, the contract isn't only a rip off, but the sales assistant told me network coverage was ace in all areas, as I do a lot of camping etc. I mean I can't even get a full signal in my local town/city!

Oh, and the contract is handset free - £20/month - 50 mins | 50 texts.

Think I'm gonna try Vodafone next, seems promising.

Anyway, good luck sorting your phone thing out.

No offence, but could you not see it was shit to pay £20 for 50 mins/texts before you took it out?

I pay £15, and get 1000 texts, 300 mins, 50 video mins, 50 MMS, £5 download...

The package is great, it's just the phone, coverage and customer service that leaves EVERYTHING to be desired!

Careful...

hmmm

Without wanting to look like a filthy bigot he does have a point. Bangladeshi/Indian/whatever call centres are a nightmare - the staff are often very difficult to communicate with and very rarely know anything about the product so they're in no position to help you out when you have a problem.

Decent customer service is the deciding factor for me when choosing any subscription service and that's precisely why I've spent 8 or 9 years on orange

No offence, but could you not see it was shit to pay £20 for 50 mins/texts before you took it out?

I pay £15, and get 1000 texts, 300 mins, 50 video mins, 50 MMS, £5 download...

The package is great, it's just the phone, coverage and customer service that leaves EVERYTHING to be desired!

Well no to be honest. Simple because I didn't compare it. My fault I guess, but it's still a rip either way.

i got bombarded with calls about not paying today (even though id already told them i had sent a cheque), and eventually they said, 'oh woops, seems as though its gone through'

f**ktards, seriously, all that arsing around for f**king nothing, they do this basically every time, its a headache and a waste of time-spent nearly an hour trying to explain when i'd sent it, and didn't get an apology when they realised they had got a payment

ah well, only another 11months to go....

Yeah I wasnt saying cos they are asians I hate them. Its just they call shout words in broken english and generally have no idea about the products they are selling.

I could never hate asians Jakers on here would kill me! :lol:

Isn't there a tv ad which makes a point of saying it has UK call centres? I suppose that's not rascist because it's not saying anywhere else in particular in the world is shit.

After emails to 3, Otelo and OfCom, and another call, they rang me, and I spoke to somebody who was actually helpful!

I have now been offered a new handset free, and £10 credit as a good will gesture

Anybody got anything particularly good/bad to say about any of the following phones:

LG U400

Nokia E61

Nokia 6630

Sony Ericsson k610i

At the minute it's somewhere between the LG and Sony, as the others are a bit hideous :P

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

6th August - Letter to Otelo

8th August - Same letter to 3/OfCom 3 called, but hung up when I answered

9th August - 3 called, offered a handset for £20 deal again, which I declined. Offered £10 credit as good will gesture instead, I declined as not much use! 1 bar signal very briefly. Asked for manager, not done. Offered free handsets; LG U400, Nokia E61, 6280, 6630, Sony Ericsson K610i. None of which were in stock...

12th August - Called 3, told the LG U300 and Nokia E61 were in stock, but that i would need to call back for any other handset as they are not in stock. Declined due to known problems with these handsets

13th August - 3 called mobile and house, told me to call back. When I called 3, I was told I hadn't been called, despite having 2 answerphone messages saying otherwise!

14th August - 3 called, told me that the network problem was sorted, and that handsets all out of stock

20th August - I called 3, and was told there were no handsets in stock other than LG U8180, LG U300.

27th August - I called 3, who told me that the Sony Ericsson K610i was in stock, and would be sent out. Would be delivered Weds 29th august between 10am and 6pm

29th August - Phone received, will not charge. I called 3, and was told they'd replace the phone. Spoke to fault managements team, who told me that on the 27th August I was charged £50, after being told that I would certainly not be charged.

I have now been told that I need to go to a 3 store and find out if it's the handset, charger or battery causing problems, then call them again to get it sorted. They've also said that they will cancel the £50 charge.

I'm doubtful as to whether I'll have a working phone at any point in my contract...