Broken Ankle :(

Danny Kearns

Ben. I agree with you on some of that but im probably going sound like a complete arsehole here. I can't afford to keep my bike running anymore. I need a sponser i really do. Thats why im pushing myself as far as i can go and going as big as that, because thats what sponsors look for (i think). It may seem as though im not riding trials for fun. But i just can't afford it anymore.

May sound a little sad i know. But it's just the way it is :(

Thanks for your support guys. Means alot.

Danny.

danny your really wrong there, look at ali c hes IMO one of the best riders in the country and he has one of the best styles ive EVER EVER EVER seen on a trials bike, he doesnt do all these stupid drop gaps, danny mac, stan shaw, there all really dammed good sponsored riders who dont "go big", damon tunni and cls are EXCEPTIONAL!!!!!!! your just not at there standrard at all as much as ud like to be, maybe ull improve, but untill you reach something CLOSE to there standard u may as well drop the "going big" style cos it looks f**king awfull when u cant do it, and dont say u can cos u clearly cant uve broke your ankle cos u went to big than u can handle, the gap its self was just not right, ive noticed in ur videos your attempting gaps that are too big for you, and it makes your riding look awful, im sure u can do 7 foot, but u have this awful technique cos u struggling to much, do somthing small with a bit more style and it will be much more appricated. i reacently had to turn down ALOT of people asking for sponsors cos there all the same as u, going to big for there standard of riding.

Hahaha, this is some funny reading.

Danny, your shit, get over it, ride a few more years, get some good stuff nailed, then think about pressure and stuff.

That's a load of bollox about not being able to afford to ride..Le's face it, you already have a bike, which would work...Just becuase its not as good'a spec as you'd wished for doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy riding it.

You're not going to get sponsored by going for the sympathy vote either, I doubt you would for going big either, it's already done, and being done again. Do something new, bring something else to the sport instead of arse licking Damon.

Thats my loving contribution.

Yeah.

Haha. Thanks dude. Yeah im shit :). Im not going on no sympathy act to get sponsored. I will earn it. Christ...Why are you kicking off and been an arse ?

Oh f**k this. Im out.

Danny x

I just think your whole approach to riding is laughable, your like an American..Seriously, why to you need to be sponsored to ride?

You don't, if your poor, get a job.

Im not going to debate the reason i ride with someone who doesn't even know me or who hasn't even met me.

People ride for different reasons and want to achieve different things.

Like i said. Im out of this now.

I ride for what i want to ride for.

Danny.

a couple of months ago I was trying to go as big as I could not really for a sponser partly because i wanted to see how far I could push it. I was watching ben's vids and trying to find new places to try big drop gaps and trying stuff which in my head i could handle but unfortunatly my bike couldn't (snapped 2 bbs and was getting a puncture every ride). also my body couldn't handle it either twisted my ankle and kept straining myself. which quite frankly was boring and shit. so i had a think about it and decided to get a stock so i could learn new things like taps and front wheel moves. But stock didn't suit me either so I took a quick break from trials while i went on holiday only for about a month or so and really used the time to think about how i wanted to ride trials and decided the best thing for me to do now would be to go smaller and start getting smoother before I start building on those moves and also to learn to be smoother and more controlled on rocks without going any bigger

perhaps danny should try some new things in trials and see if he enjoys them more. I know i'm enjoying going over the bars trying to G-turn more than when i was inch pinching at my sidehops

Spot on.

danny your really wrong there, look at ali c hes IMO one of the best riders in the country and he has one of the best styles ive EVER EVER EVER seen on a trials bike, he doesnt do all these stupid drop gaps, danny mac, stan shaw, there all really dammed good sponsored riders who dont "go big", damon tunni and cls are EXCEPTIONAL!!!!!!! your just not at there standrard at all as much as ud like to be, maybe ull improve, but untill you reach something CLOSE to there standard u may as well drop the "going big" style cos it looks f**king awfull when u cant do it, and dont say u can cos u clearly cant uve broke your ankle cos u went to big than u can handle, the gap its self was just not right, ive noticed in ur videos your attempting gaps that are too big for you, and it makes your riding look awful, im sure u can do 7 foot, but u have this awful technique cos u struggling to much, do somthing small with a bit more style and it will be much more appricated. i reacently had to turn down ALOT of people asking for sponsors cos there all the same as u, going to big for there standard of riding.

Spot on.

Edited by MonsterJ

i think its unfair in saying that you dont need a sponsor to ride, yes its tru but like previously said some people ride for diffrent reasons. I personaly ride to achive personal goals and so i can say i can do that. where as others such as danny may fell they need to achive a sponsor for one reason or another and i think that is each to thier own.

Personaly i dont understnad it but i am sure that there is a reason and i can see why some one should be given greif for wanting to achive difrent things in a sport the same as you.

but i still dont understand it...

I just think your whole approach to riding is laughable, your like an American..Seriously, why to you need to be sponsored to ride?

You don't, if your poor, get a job.

Totally agree. Stop acting like the world owes you a bike. Learn to ride it properly and it won't smash.

Now go and cry quietly where we don't have to listen to you.

Maybe he wants to be sponsored and the thought of this motivates him. Everyone has there motives in trials, his is trying to get sponsored, mine is trying to impress the public by making a fool outta myself :P

JK

If sponsership is the only thing that can motivate him on his bike above wanting to win a decent comp or learn a cool new move then fair enough keep aiming for it and one day it MIGHT happen but there really is no point in trying to rush it. just take time to get a good set of moves no bigger than your doing just now then build on them - Damon is a 1 off no one else has become so good in such a short space of time. so there is no point in doing trying to be like him

damn this topic is a joke,

you broke your ankle ok, im sorry,

but the whole sponsership thing is ott to say the least,

ride for fun and no other reason.

as people have said like ali, try something new,

personally im bored to death of these big move riders its so damn boring,

come up with something new and cool and you will have more chance,

but damn quit worrying about being sponsered so damn much and ride for fun,

bikes are expensive i mean my tyres are bald and i mean it there slick,

but im still out giving it my best,

want new stuff get a job and save .

if the above makes no sense blame my mother

peace

I just read the whole topic and the one point I would like to make is ....

so - you crank up the pressure and do a shed load of silly drop gaps to get your sponsor (possibly damaging yourself irrepairably).....

DENG (probably what you are going for) gives you a deal. What happens then ?

you want to turn it down and ride for enjoyment ? eerrrr surely Mr Deng wants you to go even bigger or at least the same - and the pressure is even greater as you HAVE to do it ?

I agree with the vast majority on here.... If you need money get a job... Ride for yourself, have FUN, and maybe itll happen. Just SEEMS like your attitude is abit squiffy.

Good luck on recovering - ankles are pains. Since I broke and sprained mine my riding has got a bit smaller but I have just as much fun, if not more, with more technical stuff.

look no further than Matt Hoffman. hes been through it all. get his autobio and read it through to the end...

Seen the Props DVD with him explaining and showing his knee operation? And he still went back to ride - now that is a love of the sport.

Never f**k yourself up under pressure, as your injury time is spent annoyed. f**k yourself up becasue you really wanted to try the trick, for no reason other than you wanted to, then you can never ever regret the consequences.

Bongo

Agree whole heartedly.

QUOTE(BONGO @ Aug 27 2007, 11:00 PM) *

So from what you've said, you've clearly, amongst other things, had an ACL reconstruction, as the ACL holds 90% of the knee's stability. What kind of reconstruction have you had?? What donar was used for it, and what's your rehab plan???

I hate to sound off, but i don't believe what you're saying, as i'm going through it, and after a year of research before it, i know an awful lot about it, and i know that what you are claiming, doesn't lne up with anything int he UK or US post op rehab programs. In fact, you're about 6 months out of sync...

Sorry for the late reply sir. I have to admit I glanced over it, and forgot to reply.

Yes, the first stage operation was to reconstruct the ligaments on the outside of my left knee. These are the Outer Lateral and Medial Ligaments using donated Doner Tendon. They decided to use Doner Tendon rather than cut and slice elsewhere, so I know have a dead leg!! Ha. Seriously though it's this factor that has made me sign up to become a Doner when I move on. I was then put in as cricket splint for a week so the swelling can go down. The staples were then taken out, and I was put in a splint that allowed my leg to move from 10 to 90 degreees. With the aid of crutches I've been slowly learning to walk again. 3 weeks later (now), I'm now walking without any support both with an without the support. I hopefully will be driving next week!

The support is due to come off in a little over a week.

On the 10th September, I will find out when my ACL Cruciate Operation will be. They decided to do the op in 2 stages, due to swelling. My doctor told me they've done the medial and lateral 1st so that I can walk, and then the ACL will be for stability. Weather it's what the US do I'm not sure, but I'm walking again, so I'm happy.

In regards to the guy who started the thread regarding sponsorship, I'm sure hopefully he can see that I and Bongo have a view from the injured perspective. I speak for myself in saying get yourself better 1st, Get walking and your muscles built up 1st. Everything else is trivial. There's nothing worse than lying there getting angry with yourself whilst recovering. I was like that for a little, and it made everything 10 times worse. My friends got me through.

And the recurring theme I'm getting here is the attitude. 90% of the time, the attitude of a rider speaks more than the riding.

Enjoy the riding, as you never know when it will end

Darren

QUOTE(BONGO @ Aug 27 2007, 11:00 PM) *

So from what you've said, you've clearly, amongst other things, had an ACL reconstruction, as the ACL holds 90% of the knee's stability. What kind of reconstruction have you had?? What donar was used for it, and what's your rehab plan???

I hate to sound off, but i don't believe what you're saying, as i'm going through it, and after a year of research before it, i know an awful lot about it, and i know that what you are claiming, doesn't lne up with anything int he UK or US post op rehab programs. In fact, you're about 6 months out of sync...

Sorry for the late reply sir. I have to admit I glanced over it, and forgot to reply.

Yes, the first stage operation was to reconstruct the ligaments on the outside of my left knee. These are the Outer Lateral and Medial Ligaments using donated Doner Tendon. They decided to use Doner Tendon rather than cut and slice elsewhere, so I know have a dead leg!! Ha. Seriously though it's this factor that has made me sign up to become a Doner when I move on. I was then put in as cricket splint for a week so the swelling can go down. The staples were then taken out, and I was put in a splint that allowed my leg to move from 10 to 90 degreees. With the aid of crutches I've been slowly learning to walk again. 3 weeks later (now), I'm now walking without any support both with an without the support. I hopefully will be driving next week!

The support is due to come off in a little over a week.

On the 10th September, I will find out when my ACL Cruciate Operation will be. They decided to do the op in 2 stages, due to swelling. My doctor told me they've done the medial and lateral 1st so that I can walk, and then the ACL will be for stability. Weather it's what the US do I'm not sure, but I'm walking again, so I'm happy.

In regards to the guy who started the thread regarding sponsorship, I'm sure hopefully he can see that I and Bongo have a view from the injured perspective. I speak for myself in saying get yourself better 1st, Get walking and your muscles built up 1st. Everything else is trivial. There's nothing worse than lying there getting angry with yourself whilst recovering. I was like that for a little, and it made everything 10 times worse. My friends got me through.

And the recurring theme I'm getting here is the attitude. 90% of the time, the attitude of a rider speaks more than the riding.

Enjoy the riding, as you never know when it will end

Darren

(Y)(Y) Well i do know what you're going through anyway mate. It's tougher mentally than physically i think. Just think to the future and get yourself excited!

The acl is coming up so get yourself sorted at home, with a fridge next to the couch etc etc! It's all in the planning! dvd's borrowed, all ready to watch, PS2 setup etc. You'll be good mate. Cheers for the answer. (Y)