Mac Problems

Spikenipple

FYI

Do not under any circumstances re-name the Home folder (i.e. the one with a house as the icon). It causes annoying amounts of damage.

Then, to follow that up, if a folder appears called 'Usr', which wasn't there before, do not, DO NOT put it in the trash and then empty the trash.

It took me 7 hours to figure out what the buggery happened and to get my mac back to normal, without losing data. I've got to put all my photos and music back into iPhoto/iTunes now. Half of my precious album art appears to have sneaked somewhere.

I'm sure alot of you maccers know that but I didn't and it royally buggered my Sunday afternoon/evening/Monday morning.

It's set to an old nick-name I used to have and I was doing what I thought to be some harmless procrastination, I'd wanted to put my normal name there - that's all. It didn't seem like the sort of action that would cause so much havoc, I'd have thought the mac would be able to re-name/edit file locations. In hindsight that is, perhaps, alot to ask considering the 480,000 files on the volume (according to the AHT).

Oh well, lesson learned (Y)

Yes.

Switch it on, chuck the CD in there as soon as it's powering on, whilst holding 'command' and 'c' (at the same time) - click on the install disc when it gives you the option.

Install Disc 1 first btw.

Wrong.

Hold Alt to choose to boot from DVD/CD drive or Hard Drive, or hold C to boot straight to DVD/CD drive.

Aha, nice one Jon, quite embarrassing as I had to do it just over 24 hours ago.

Well you're only supposed to have the necessaries connected, i.e. keyboard & mouse. Any other equipment, USB, external drives etc shouldn't be / doesn't need to be connected - that's assuming you've got the important system files on the hard disk installed in the computer/laptop.

Once the Install Disk is up and running it'll eventually ask you whether you wish to do a standard Install or Archive & Install, if you want everything wiped go with a regular, if you want all your stuff go Archive and sort it yourself once you're logged in.

Google is very helpful for this, so long as you get your terms halfway-right it'll show threads from assorted mac-forums filled with step-by-step info. Even the Apple website/user manual is pretty helpful. I just wish it literally said "If you do this, you will/won't lose all your music/videos/documents/pictures". Basically everything I'm saying I learnt last night from interweb due to major shit storm mentioned a few posts ago.

Once the Install Disk is up and running it'll eventually ask you whether you wish to do a standard Install or Archive & Install, if you want everything wiped go with a regular, if you want all your stuff go Archive and sort it yourself once you're logged in.

Yeah just hit 'Customize' on the bottom left hand side of the screen when it show it to choose Archive or Erase and install rather than update which f**ks your system :)

I have setup another user account on my macbook, so have 2 total user accounts both set as admins. When I try and access system preferences on the new account it either crashes my system or just doesn't load. If I try and set up my 'spaces' by going into it via applications I get the following message; "ENABLE STRING - SET_UP_STRING" and it gives me the options to open or cancel string - both of which freezes the computer when clicked on.

Secondly, I am trying to access and change multiple things on a subversion repository - I usually can access this no problem by using Terminal, but due to the scenario I have it is easier to use a subversion client to quickly bring up commands. I use Tortoise SVN on a windows system and it works fine..... Mac it just won't let me access anything due to a protocol error even though all the settings are correct, so I was wondering if there is any settings that needs to be changed on my Mac which is preventing access to anything (I am using the same servers my end as I do on Windows and Linux so I know its not a 'paranoid' server or anything like that).

Any suggestions??

• 2 weeks later...

MCP or iMac? I am going to uni next year to do interactive media and will be needing an upgrade from my first gen macbook as it struggles to do Photoshop and Dreamweaver at the same time. So I am starting to save up now. I don't really need a portable computer but is nice using a computer wherever. ATM it seems like the MCP is the faster machine but I am guess the iMac, when I come to buying one, will get the graphics upgrade. What is your opinion?

I would say yes. Got one myself, brilliant phone! Don't care that the camera isn't great but its good enough. So many fun apps to play around with too. Its perfect for just having great device in your pocket instead of a phone and a mp3 player. Its great for watching movies and catching up on facebook. The only problem I find is its signal, its not that it lacks it, its just when you have full bar signal then make a phone call but then decides to have no signal! But you find the signal again very soon. Also with o2, when a newer version is released, hopefully they will let you upgrade to the new one for free like they did last year, which will be perfect for unlocking your current one and selling it on when you get the latest one.

The only thing that's stopping me is that I can't get over the feeling that a lot of people who buy iPhones are posey tossers (No offense Joel). I'm not the kind of person who would ever get their phone out and leave it on the table at the pub to show it off, mind, but I almost think having an iPhone stigmatises you in that way. I'm not the kind of person that likes having expensive stuff to show off, but then again I know I'd enjoy having the internet and stuff like on the iPhone.

My current plan is to get it and do a ghetto sticker job all over it. I think that would work. Plus it would hopefully upset the posey tossers.

Haz - Explain?

if you got a normal phone you could get it for free with like 600 mins and 1000 texts for about £5 less

but with the iPhone you have to pay £160 (for the 16gb one) and then only get 600 mins and 500 texts for £35, but you do get all your internet browsing for free which makes up for it (Y)

I haven't got one but i'm pretty certain i'll be getting one in a month or two when my contract ends.

to be honest though I don't see how they're posey, they're big and just look like a fat iPod, i'd say the new cyber shot is more of a poser phone cause its small and thin and James Bond has one lol

Haz - Explain?

if you got a normal phone you could get it for free with like 600 mins and 1000 texts for about £5 less

but with the iPhone you have to pay £160 (for the 16gb one) and then only get 600 mins and 500 texts for £35, but you do get all your internet browsing for free which makes up for it (Y)

What he said. However, I disagree about free internet being decent a trade off. While 3G is quick, it's not WiFi quick, so you'll use WiFi more.

i'd say the new cyber shot is more of a poser phone cause its small and thin and James Bond has one lol

If you are talking about the c905, I pick mine up friday, with any luck.

The only thing that's stopping me is that I can't get over the feeling that a lot of people who buy iPhones are posey tossers (No offense Joel). I'm not the kind of person who would ever get their phone out and leave it on the table at the pub to show it off, mind, but I almost think having an iPhone stigmatises you in that way. I'm not the kind of person that likes having expensive stuff to show off, but then again I know I'd enjoy having the internet and stuff like on the iPhone.

My current plan is to get it and do a ghetto sticker job all over it. I think that would work. Plus it would hopefully upset the posey tossers.

Haz - Explain?

None taken as I don't believe to be one of those people. It is unfortunate that now whoever buys an apple product does then get pointed at saying they are a fanboy or cocky showoff. I know this is not what you are saying Tomm but I have been hearing it alot. But I don't blame those people because when walking into the Apple store the other day saw a guy buying the brand new MBP whilst showing off some app to his mate on his iPhone then offering to sell his basicly new previous MBP to him.