Should Cycle Helmets Be Made Compulsory?

Captain Scarlet

Should cycle helmets be made compulsory?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

Well simple question.

With untrained idiot PCSO's going around and trying to bust just about anyone they see riding on a pavement or near one, the law is currently that cyclists must ride in the road.

I feel its stupid how a legislation was made to remove cyclists from the paths to keep pedestrians safe, but not one that ensures the cyclist is then safe in the road?

Should cycle helmets be made compulsory?

Edited by thutley

I think they should be compulsory to all though, I can think of countless times where families go out riding their bikes, they make their children wear helmets but don't necessarily do so themselves.

Now what kind of message as a parent is that?

Edited by thutley

I think they should be compulsory to all though, I can think of countless times where families go out riding their bikes, they make their children wear helmets but don't necessarily do so themselves.

Now what kind of message as a parent is that?

I think the exact same thing, especially the bike's where thier parent ride's the bike and it has 1 of them silly seats on the back. So if the parent falls off the child won't have much chance of missing a nice cut either.

Some people who commute to work on a bike need to look respectable at the office, putting a helmet on definitely ruins my hair do, I'd imagine its the same for everyone.

I know its possible to get killed on a bike because your on the road, but you can also get killed crossing the road, nobody wears a helmet for that. Obviously its a shit comparison but theres risks involved in everything we do, we take it upon ourselves as responsible people to decide if its necessary or not for us to need one.

Some people who commute to work on a bike need to look respectable at the office, putting a helmet on definitely ruins my hair do, I'd imagine its the same for everyone.

I know its possible to get killed on a bike because your on the road, but you can also get killed crossing the road, nobody wears a helmet for that. Obviously its a shit comparison but theres risks involved in everything we do, we take it upon ourselves as responsible people to decide if its necessary or not for us to need one.

That old chesnut...

Lets not start with the ridiculously stupid arguements. If the chance of injury goes up, the precautions taken should. The whole point is, accidents happen by accident, and are unavoidable. People make mistakes and get away with them, sometimes they don't. You might never fall off your bike, but one day a car makes a mistake and hits you. Not your fault, but what does that matter.

No. This should not be made compulsory. Too many things are made compulsory, and there are too many warning signs/regulations as it is. All it does is encourage stupidity, lack of responsibility and lack of common sense. It also means that future generations will be less in-tune with the risks around them.

Not wearing a helmet for an extreme sport is silly, but we've all done it at times. However, it only takes one bad accident and the effects can be life-changing. I've seen them firsthand, and it's not pleasant. I was saved from a similar injury by a helmet once - despite the lid I was knocked out and couldn't even remember what month it was. If I hadn't had a helmet on that day, christ knows how bad it would've been.

(Edited for mis-spelling of their/there. Just not acceptable, that one.)

Edited by snappel