Super8 2007

Jonny Jones

Well I've waited ages for these two reels to come back from the Widescreen Centre but it was the postal strike that held everything up.

But anyway, I shot a black and white reel and a colour one. This video is a mixture of all the Trials bits that I filmed.

Includes Woking, London, DJ Ride in Oxford, a few setup shots of the Theatrical Stunt Show I filmed in Cornwall and some random shots of when I was editing the Extreme Sports Channel spot on Hook Woods.

Overall it has a sort of experimental feel but my camera started to break towards the end of the colour reel so thats why everything is a bit all over the place!

Low Res -

Hi Res - Right Click Save As

Edited by Jonny Jones

dent like it sorry, seen other videos youve done and loved them but this one wasnt to my taste sorry. Think it was the editing really that i didnt like.

Fair enough dude! Thing is, there's very little editing in it, I literally put the Trialsy stuff on a timeline, all the cutting was done with the camera, start/stopping of the film.

Sounds similar to TM1 I guess Ash, but nope, not used that Portishead track before.

dent like it sorry, seen other videos youve done and loved them but this one wasnt to my taste sorry. Think it was the editing really that i didnt like.

Same here. This one looked professional and was definitely something new, just not to my taste.

I just prefer vids that are more to the point as it were, not just artistic if that's the right word.

that - was awesome jonny.

didnt spot you with the super8 out at DJ's - I think the colour part was really really well done.

Top music too - the black n white daytime stuff looked awesome too.

questions though - does the widescreen centre still do the ol super8 ? process paid style or is it excrutiatingly expensive to get 1 roll done ?

also - did you do the transfer to film yourself - because its pretty hot !! i found it sooooo hard when i did mine.

top top film.

To answer some questions (cheers for the comments btw). As mentioned at the end of the video, the tune is Portishead 'Pedestal' from their album 'Dummy' - as somebody mentioned used on a Select Bikes video which I really can't remember but thats fair enough lol! Camera wise its a Sankyo LXL125 (I think) and its a lazy person's camera as it shoots 18fps (even though this film came out like it was shot at more frames per sec as everything was sped up a bit), maybe also cos I kept having to smack the camera as the shutter kept jamming for some reason. Its also auto exposure and auto everything else, but I did get it for £4.99 from ebay so its done well haha!

Rowan, yeah the Widescreen Centre is still going strong. Its £23 for a reel of Ektachrome 64 colour film - this includes processing, so you just have to send a cheque for £2 in the post when you send the film to be processed, this is for postage back to you. The black and white isn't processed paid and so this was a little more expensive - £13.98 for the film and £12.90 for the processing - bloody expensive! In future I want to get a Braun Nizo camera and maybe try and shoot some of this properly and include it in a video or perhaps another DVD if I make one next year.

Also, yeah did the transfer myself (film projected onto a wall, recorded onto MiniDV for those interested). The tripod head cudda been a little more straight/level but its always hard to get it all lined up as you probably know!

Another note on the editing, like I said a few posts back, very little editing. All the craaaaazy </craig david> cuts where made in camera as the film started and stopped - I had no idea it would come out like this but still, all interesting stuff.

Again, ta for the comments. I knew there would be mixed opinions (Y)

Edited by Jonny Jones

well done u got an A for your media project,

next time get some riding footage!!!!!

You have to understand that I was using my normal camera to get most of the riding footage, of which you all saw in MISC 2007. I would have got more actual riding if I had the Super8 camera out more, sorry for the disappointment. Oh, and yes, I did get an A for Media, that was about 4 and a bit years ago! :P

also i know the idea is to make it look like that kinda quality, but it just didnt do it for me, sorry but i dont like it

Im under the impression a lot of people don't understand. Like some of the clips in Rowan's Ridden video, this was shot on FILM, not MiniDV and gay filters applied, this is film shot on a 1970's cine camera and projected using a 1970's projector, very old skool lol! Completely appreciate that 80% of people didn't like it or don't like arty farty stuff like this but I thought I would just be a little clearer. More info on Super 8 film here.

Cheers peeps :)

I really liked that.

It certainly was different. Wasn't really a trials video, well, didn't seem it to me. Was more like a weird little video with trials in it...

I love the 'old effect' that Super8's give. Makes a change to the normal Hi-Res stuff you usually throw at us. :turned::P

woow, kool. And what a coincidence, I just recived my 8mm film from proseccing and scanning, check it:
:)

I liked this one because it has more riding but jonnies is still good to watch.

So jonny will you be filming the same as our summer, as in the same people/riders?

There are a great selection of riders in Scotland waiting to be reconised!!!plus there are great places to ride.

woow, kool. And what a coincidence, I just recived my 8mm film from proseccing and scanning, check it:
:)

Good stuff dude!! One question, has your film been projected a few times, landed on the floor (carpet?) and been reeled back up again? Cos there was a LOT of crap all over the film - or did you put that on, filters etc? Because of the way my projector is, I dont have a choice but to let the film unreel through the projector (as normal) and then onto the floor - I dont have a second plastic reel to catch the film. So I get a piece of kitchen towel and hold the film as I reel it back up onto the... reel haha. If that makes sense. So that way I get rid of any fine hairs or specks of dirt. If you think this has happened to your film, give it a go! :)

Im not sure if the DVD is happening but I would like to do another one! I want to go further afield and spread filming over the year rather than just confining it to the summer. Work and money will ultimately be the deciding points to whether or not I'll end up doing it! Cheers peeps!

Edited by Jonny Jones

Good stuff dude!! One question, has your film been projected a few times, landed on the floor (carpet?) and been reeled back up again? Cos there was a LOT of crap all over the film - or did you put that on, filters etc? Because of the way my projector is, I dont have a choice but to let the film unreel through the projector (as normal) and then onto the floor - I dont have a second plastic reel to catch the film. So I get a piece of kitchen towel and hold the film as I reel it back up onto the... reel haha. If that makes sense. So that way I get rid of any fine hairs or specks of dirt. If you think this has happened to your film, give it a go! :)

Im not sure if the DVD is happening but I would like to do another one! I want to go further afield and spread filming over the year rather than just confining it to the summer. Work and money will ultimately be the deciding points to whether or not I'll end up doing it! Cheers peeps!

:P

i think its crap all over because when i god the film it was way to bright, and i had to use som filters and levels to make it viewable :P Thats why, cus you can see in the two fronthook-clips and the clip when i ride on the container its not that much dust and scratches-crap yo! :P

however will me and my friend soon make a video in 16mm, i've just bought a camera (Krasnogorsk 3) on ebay. Wooh:) looking foreward to get it :)

;)