Watersports...

NVWOCI WVS

Most of us have other interests, besides trials, and I was just wondering how many other watersports enthusiasts were on here?

My main thing is sailing but I also kayak, windsurf, canoe and do a bit of powerboating.

Post up some pics of you doing whatever watersport it is you do!...I'll start with a photo of me trying to teach a novice to sail in my National12 in a force5* :unsure:

fj06_144611.jpg

*A national12 is ridiculously unstable and force5 is pretty windy to take an inexperienced sailor out, for those that don't know!

I used to do a fair bit of sailing kayaking and just about everything else too, mainly sailed toppers, topaz, picos, bosuns, lazers, and a couple of higher performance boats incuding a dart 19 which was mental it could keep up with a 40 hp rib.

I've got a pirana attack kayak too. it's alright for a bit of surfing or some pier jumping but I find running rivers really boring.

I used to sail loads because my parents were really into it. I sailed an Optimist and then a Topper (which I still have in the garage) and they sailed a GP14. I used to get dragged all round the country on a Sunday so they could race it - as soon as I was old enough to stay at home on my own, I did :rolleyes:

Now my parents have a bigger boat (a Beneteau 311, yacht fans) which they love. I've sailed that a few times, it's pretty fun.

P.S. Yes I thought of Alan :P

iv done some sailing in the past but my parents sort of gave up on it for a couple of years weve to a graduate well we did last time we where at the sailing club if its still their now i would be suprised. Now i can drive im gonna try and get out more on it this year, there seems to a strange link between hot girls (in wet suits) and sailing.

Joe

I used to sail a fair bit, my brother and I owned a Laser Pico when they first came out, and my dad used to race yachts in the Mediterranean back in the day.

He sold his Mirror Dinghy when i was about 14, and later sold the Wayfarer.

He's got himself a Tricorn for pottering round the Dart on, and also a Dockrell or something (about 27 foot).

I too said no to it once i was old enough, though i'm still happy to go an have a few tinnies and a BBQ on a beach somewhere on it (Y)

Setting sail on a sinking pedalo put me off water 'sports' for good...though I technically don't see it as a sport unless you sweat.

you've obviously never sailed properly then. on yachts your run off your feet tightening winches, and in a dingy you've got to do about 4 or five things to change your tack it requires alot of skill to be a good sailor and your sweating huge amounts because you've got to wear clothes suitable for going in the water which is very cold up here so usually 5 layers or a wetsuit or drysuit or when your sailing in force 6 + your clinging on for dear life.

there's nothing better than being perched on a trapeeze on a windy, sunny calm day, it feels amazing.

You sail cherubs? :wub: let's make babies :)

Everybody, look away..

there's nothing better than being perched on a trapeeze on a mega windy, "why-do-i-do-this?" day with the kite up. it feels amazing.

Totally.

Edited by Skoze

there's nothing better than being perched on a trapeeze on a windy, sunny calm day, it feels amazing.

yes there is...

helming a fireball with your crew hanging pretty much off the transom, on their trapeze, downwind with the spinnaker up in a force 7...however, this leads to certsin mast snappage :(

What boats has everyone sailed and stuff then?

I've had:

-Mirrors (written 3 off from sailing in stupid wind!)(did zone squad sailing and youth nationals etc)

-A laser radial

-A big rig for my laser

-A fireball

-National 12s

Everybody, look away..

:$ wow!

I've had/ sailed:

• Optimist (theyre cute but crap)
  • Laser pico - just no
  • RS Feva - mine was the most illegal in the world, everythoing that could be done was done, broke all the class rules.
  • RS 500 - great boat, fast yet manageable
  • UK Cherub - they rock my socks
  • Hurricane 5.9 SX - reet fast thing
  • 29er - Unstable unless you give it beans
  • 49er - awesomeness
  • 12 foot skiff - never again, it tried to kill me at every possible moment

And the best of all, arranged through my old coach:

• VX40 catamaran, (40 foot tornado basically) 25-35 knots in 10knots of wind

I need to get out more :blink: