Thinkbikes.com 2008 Season Bikes

spode@thinkbikes

A new demo season, brings a new set of bikes. Thanks to our sponsors Tarty Bikes, Dave and I now have a new bike each, and our previous bikes have been upgraded a little to match, giving us two almost identical bikes each, for show-time redundancy.

IMG_8679.JPG

The bike (top) which is currently stickered up, has the following specs:

Echo Headset

Echo Forged Cranks

Echo Bottom Bracket

Echo Hubs

Echo Low-Rise Handlebars

Echo VP Pedals

Simtra ST-1 Frame

Simtra Stem

Gu Bash Guard

Tensile Freewheel

KMC Kool Chain

Hope Mono Trials Discs, Front (180mm) and Rear (200mm).

Onza Hog Rims

Maxxis Minion Rear Tyre

Maxxis Bling Bling Front Tyre

Aside from colour (Dave having blue handle bars and hubs, Spode having red), Spode is running an 18/16 ratio and Dave is running 18/18. Spode is running a dual ply tyre on the rear, while Dave's is single.

In front, you can see my backup bike, which I haven't stickered yet, so you can see what it looks like sans decoration. The difference here is Revell Rims, front Hope hub and rear DMR Revolver.

You'll notice I'm running quite a few stackers on the front of the newer bike, as it has the low-rise instead of high-rise bars. I'm fiddling around to see what I feel more comfortable with - but I'm tempted to change to high-rise, to match the other bike.

IMG_8685.JPG

For more pictures, and a few shots of our disc bedding in session, see this gallery.

These frames are currently on offer for the rest of this month for £150 - we highly recommend them. They are without a doubt the best stock dual disc frame solution currently out there, with the mount position at +40mm, for 200mm discs without the need for adapters.

They are both the same colour - that's why I put them at different angles so you could see how the light catches it.

It's a very dark grey, verging on black. A true graphite grey. The previous frames had a green/blue tinge to the grey. That's why I upgraded the second bike to match. My previous frame is still going strong with no cracks, which I'm impressed with considering I killed my KOT frames within 6 months...

If you prefer a Magura, fine, go for it - it's nice and stiff and I imagine it would work well. Rear discs aren't everyone's bag, but anyone who has jumped on my bike has been pretty impressed by how nicely it locks. If I'm not mistaken, even Ashton has moved to rear discs. I'm not here to start a disc battle ;)

Anyone is welcome for a test ride, so get in touch if you want to try them. We have a free training session on March 16th, which I'll put details up about later, where you can give all of the bikes a go.

If you prefer a Magura, fine, go for it - it's nice and stiff and I imagine it would work well.

do you know if wide rims such as try-all will fit with a maggie with new pads?i was just wondering as the tartybikes website says this frame has a 94mm brake spacing.

also ,do you find the length a issue,or are you super tall so it rides nice for you?

steve

Edited by banbury trials

do you know if wide rims such as try-all will fit with a maggie with new pads?i was just wondering as the tartybikes website says this frame has a 94mm brake spacing.

also ,do you find the length a issue,or are you super tall so it rides nice for you?

steve

Both Dave and I came from 1060wb KOTs and we are fine with it. I'm 5'10, he's 5'9. Rob is 6'6 and he's fine with it too. I personally find wb to be pretty irrelevant - it's the cock pit size that matters, and that can be adjusted with a combination of different bars and stem to get where you feel comfortable.

I'm not sure on the rim brake front - I'm sure Tarty Bikes will be able to help you in that dept. :)

Both Dave and I came from 1060wb KOTs and we are fine with it. I'm 5'10, he's 5'9. Rob is 6'6 and he's fine with it too. I personally find wb to be pretty irrelevant - it's the cock pit size that matters, and that can be adjusted with a combination of different bars and stem to get where you feel comfortable.

I'm not sure on the rim brake front - I'm sure Tarty Bikes will be able to help you in that dept. :)

thanks for the reply,i meant the cockpit length,i should have said.what length stems are you and dave running?im about your height so it'll give me some ideas as i may get one of these frames.

i'll give tarty a ring in the next day or two (Y)

cheers,steve