Tires?

Gilman

So I am looking into getting some new tires.

I was curious as to what people are running these days as I haven't bought a tire in 2+ years.

In your opinions what is the best tire set up front and rear?

Please include as much info as possible.

I will mostly be doing urban riding with some natural.

Thanks.

Edit- I am looking for stock tires.

Edited by Gilman

Nokian gazza 2.3 on the front and a dual ply maxxis high roller 2.35 on the back, high roller looks brand new and i have been using it for 4months. Gazzas probably had about a year of wear (was on the bike when i got it) both roll nicely and stick like 's' to a 'b'. Very grippy and i won't be changing them any time soon.

Dan

Schwalbe - nobby nic tyer on the front

Schwalbe - Big betty on the rear

what im running on my stock , awsome tyers and silly light but a bit costly, talking around 35bucks each!

other wise continetal tyers are good and light for the front .

most people run a maxxis on the rear , but i find them waaay to heavy , but hear nothing but good things for them!

grant

what im running on my stock , awsome tyers and silly light but a bit costly, talking around 35bucks each!

most people run a maxxis on the rear , but i find them waaay to heavy , but hear nothing but good things for them!

grant

agreed if you're after super light set up.

so really depends of what you're trying to achieve.....i think most people will say 2.5 maxxis dual plys. on the back

as of the front, many run 2.35 maxxis single ply's or i personally use nobby nic for a shredding a bit of weight.

steve

weighty and grippy is nicer than light and no grip :-

maxxis front and rear for me, not all due to the amazing grip, but a lot due to the way they react when folding over or on off cambers

Ali also likes to take the time to shave off every second sidewall knobble to make his tyre that little bit lighter than everyone elses maxxis.

Apparantly they are mazin.

not so sure myself :P

Tioga DH 2.3 Front

Michelin DH16 2.5 Rear.

The Tioga, because I needed a tyre about 2 years ago and that was free. Seems to be grippy enough.

Michelin Rear because they are Very grippy, and almost impossible to puncture, even at the lowest pressures. Heavy though.

Tioga's are like walking on ice... ridiculously heavy for no grip too.

Ive gone for a tryall stiky 2.0 front, and a hansventure on the rear. Soon to swap for a tryall 2.5 rear too.

Good tip, look at pics of the pro's bike set-ups, see what tyres theyre using for what kinds of riding, and copy...

2.1inch continental explorer on the front at around 30psi, only weighs 598g!

2.35 inch single wall maxxis high roller on the back at around 20-25 psi. much lighter than a dopuble wall 2.5 inch!

I also run a tioga ultralight tube in the front to save a few more grams and a schwalbe downhill tube in the back because i was getting a lot of pinch punctures witjh the single wall tyre.

Ali also likes to take the time to shave off every second sidewall knobble to make his tyre that little bit lighter than everyone elses maxxis.

Apparantly they are mazin.

not so sure myself :P

ooohhhhh yes, best tyre mod ever!

In my opinion, Try-All tyres are easily the best tyres for mod bikes.

I've heard quite a lot of people say that they are too soft and don't last long enough, but they have lasted me the same time as my Creepy Crawlers.

I had an Echo tyre on my front wheel and that only lasted me a couple of months, unlike my Try-all which has been a good 3-4 months and still plenty of tread.

Not to mentiuon better grip than any other tyre I have tried.

The bit more of an expense is there for a reason. =D

Awsomely grippy,

Very very heavy though!

Correction: the rears are heavy. The fronts are actually really light for a properly grippy tyre, noticeably lighter than the single ply maxxis you can get. Awesome front tyres, and I'd recommend a Hansventure for the back - mine have lasted for ages.

grant

How do you like that front Schwalbe tire? I have heard good things about the rear.

Thanks everyone for posting up.

I have been looking around at what has been suggested and now I am leaning towards either Maxxis or Schwolbe.

Do you guys thing that I should go 2.5 or 2.35 for the rear? Is there that much of a noticable difference?

Thanks.