What Gears Do You Ride Stocks At

mista-neos

18:17 and 158mm cranks

Everyone who thinks that's mad should try it.

Indeed it sounds mad. But I guess the short cranks make it work.

Not reply to that:

My 22-18 is just because I fancy running an integrated crankset (HT2 sort of, but not Shimano...). But the ratio still ends up pretty close to 18:15.

The gearing that you run is a really personal choice and other people do not always have the best answer for this sort of thing, for trials it is adviseable to have a rather low speed/high acceleration gearing to allow pedal kicks and the like but just how low is up to you. Some things to remember when choosing gearing are:

-How far you will ride in between spots.

-The style of riding that you are doing.

-What you feel comfertable riding with (this is the most important)

Singlespeed is great as there are less things to go wrong with it, however gears allow you to change ratios depending on what you need at the time. I personally run a 22:18 singlespeed set up with 175mm cranks, this may seem odd to some people but it is what I feel comfertable with so it is what I use.

Just try to find what is right for you and not what some one else uses.

Im running 18-16 on my stock, only just changed from 22-16 (too high) so still trying to work out if Id be better suited to 18-15.

Riding between spots doesnt bother me :)

edit: running 165 middleburns :)

Edited by forteh

Personally i think it might be best for you to experiment with singlespeed, as the gearing changes are a lot more precise. I used to run 18-12 i think on my onza t-vee, but now i've got a stock im not too sure what to run, and as it is modstock it makes it a bit more confusing. Any suggestions? :)