Rim Or Disc?

sstein

What brakes do you prefer disc or rim brakes?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Front brake

• Rim (vee)
    • Rim (maggie)
    • Disc
  2. 2. Rear brake

• Rim (vee)
    • Rim (Maggie)
    • Disc
  3. 3. Would you go for a different setup if you didn't ride trials?

• Yes
    • No

if only a disc on the rear had a little more hold then i'd switch back, works in any conditions; just doesnt have the amazing hold my v does on the rear.

on the front for modulation, power and control i dont think you can beat a disc.

on my other bikes i havnt used anything but discs since about 2000. once you switch to discs ona mountain bike you dont want to go elsewhere, for a small weight penalty the extra power and modulation is far far superior along with the consistant performance in all conditions with a straight wheel or not.

I voted front disk even though I run maggy.

I do like my maggy, its just so f**king noisy, get sick of it sometimes. Had an, '05 I think, Louise FR and it was the nicest brake... Then one day it just went to shit, played around with it for ages - nothing. So sold it on ebay. I'll probably get another one at some point, but I've got a non-disk front wheel now, and for the brake and wheel set-up I'd want its about £240, which I haven't got.

Disc for the rear scares me, slipping I mean (not enough bite).

Besides working great in wet, are there any other advantages for rear disc?

don't need to grind your rim. [some don't anyway, but it's one less thing to do]. if you take your back wheel out often, theres convenience of just droping your wheel out (Y) there very consistant in all weather. you don't have to true your rim all the time. i was a fan of loud brakes, but i quite like the silence, and the odd squeal if you really go for it.

Disc for the rear scares me, slipping I mean (not enough bite).

Besides working great in wet, are there any other advantages for rear disc?

You need to try a big rotor ;)

Plus: Loads of power, Work's in all weather, Progressive feel, No squealing, Controlledness, Very easy to look after, RELIABLE.

Minus: Can get in the way for sidehops, screwed if pads/ rotor get contaminated.

Matt

DD all the way :)

• 2 weeks later...

What discs and what sise rotors are the people who don't like rear disc using?

If you've not tried a 200mm hope mono trial on the rear then i think you should be banned from having an opinion. I've gone double disc and will never go back. Same hold, generally better quality of braking all around. Different feel on release but that just takes some getting used to.

If you've not tried a 200mm hope mono trial on the rear then i think you should be banned from having an opinion. I've gone double disc and will never go back.

:lol:

I agree, although even a 160mm (on 20") is enough for my 14 stone fat ass!

What discs and what sise rotors are the people who don't like rear disc using?

If you've not tried a 200mm hope mono trial on the rear then i think you should be banned from having an opinion. I've gone double disc and will never go back. Same hold, generally better quality of braking all around. Different feel on release but that just takes some getting used to.

Thats a huge disc to be running on the rear of a mod! The old 26" dual disc Megamo's were a bit like that. Massive disc! I've opted for a 160 for the back of mine, shud stop my 11 stone ok going by what Adam has just posted. :-

upside you dont have to buy pads every other month....

And grind your rim every 2 rides... and keep moving your pads every few weeks when they wear... or use TPA to make your brake feel rubbish... and get annoyed when you split the crossover... and have the performance deteriorate over time until you re-grind... and have poo brakes in the wet... and your bike sounds silly because it squeaks like god knows what (unless you have a smooth rim... in which case you brake barely works if theres a drop of water or a particle of dust near it)... Ok I think that's enough :P

Weird how all the people who have dual disk say they would never go back to rim brakes.......

Good point :D

And grind your rim every 2 rides... and keep moving your pads every few weeks when they wear... or use TPA to make your brake feel rubbish... and get annoyed when you split the crossover... and have the performance deteriorate over time until you re-grind... and have poo brakes in the wet... and your bike sounds silly because it squeaks like god knows what (unless you have a smooth rim... in which case you brake barely works if theres a drop of water or a particle of dust near it)... Ok I think that's enough :P

Good point :D

Always think that grinding rims ruins the look of a bike aswell!