When Petrol/diesel Runs Out...

Egg Fried Rice

Hmmm...Been thinking lately, what happens when there no more of the stuff? we'd be pretty screwed right? or just imagine at this moment in time there was suddenly no more...no cars would be running, no motorsport, no main transportation such as buses, enterntainment like F1.

Does anyone know how long we got left? According to this website we aint got long...hopefully we keep finding sources

There must be a way to make a substitute petrol, something with similar flammable qualities.. Hopefully by the time it runs out there'll be something else.

I can't imagine every fossil fuel powered thing ever just becoming extinct

Obviously you don't stay up-to-date with Physicsworld :rolleyes:

http://physicsworld.com/blog/2008/05/coldf...on_a_suc_1.html

whoever wrote the article doesn't seem so sure.

What we need is it to happen on a large scale. And for it to produce electricity. Then it is viable.

"On 23 March 1989 Martin Fleischmann of the University of Southampton, UK, and Stanley Pons of the University of Utah, US, announced that they had observed controlled nuclear fusion in a glass jar at room temperature,"

Hmm, maybe

But from what i know, you need extreme pressure and extreme temperature, which is why only stars can do it.

I'd love to see it happen, basically it means that we can have power plants running from water, and water, well the earth is 70% water, so we're sorted.

I'm no expert but i know in 2004 (was it? I went but i was fairly young) The Morgan Areo 8's ran on Bio-fuels. We can grow the stuff its just not really efficient at the moment.

Yes maze (a crop) can be turned into bio-diesel. :mellow:

I'm no expert but i know in 2004 (was it? I went but i was fairly young) The Morgan Areo 8's ran on Bio-fuels. We can grow the stuff its just not really efficient at the moment.

its more the fact that to produce anywhere near enough of the stuff, we have to pretty much cover entire counties in the stuff (i suggest we start with wales)

I had my doubts about the legitimacy of that article when I first started reading it, but when I got to:

In the years ahead, wars will be fought over oil and fuel as the oil-dependent superpowers struggle in vein to preserve our unsustainable way of life. We are entering a period of great change and there are be difficult times ahead. The process has already begun. Students of prophecy will be familiar with certain relevant verses from Christian scripture concerning the signs of the end times (Matt. 24.8; Mk 13.8, Rom. 8.22; Rev. 12.03, 21.1-4). As it was translated in 1961 in the New English Bible: "With these things, the birth pangs of the new age begin" (Mt.24:8; Mk.13:8). Whether you are religious or secular, you should be aware that the tide of history is turning.

And realised that the actual journalistic quality of it was nil, I red X'd that little scamp.

Read the Petrol Tax thread for a shitload of info about it all, probably 1,000% more accurate than that article.

Also, bear in mind that when petrol starts to run out, it won't be a case of "We have oil" then the next day "We have no oil" - it'll gradually change, perhaps faster than some might like, but in much the same way companies are feeling the pinch of high oil prices now, that'll continue and force people (For the best) to look to alternatives, many of which we're already well on the road to developing, but seem to need to be given that last little push to make it happen.

The renewable energy market's going to be f**king insane in a few decades.

Regarding alternitive energies, I'm pretty sure the deal at the moment is that:

Wind Power - Expensive and no one wants them nearby. The majority of suitable locations have already been used, and it makes up less than 10% of the energy produced.

Wave/Tidal power - Already used all possible locations, makes up about 5%.

Solar energy - Not very efficient, expensive to set up and impossible to have industrial scale ones.

So basically, those particular methods have been used to or near their maximum, with the current technology available. I'm unsure on how well biofuels rate so I havn't listed them, though from what I gather its only going to make up ~10% energy produced, maximum. Just too labour intensive at the moment, and you need a whole lot of field to make enough power to run a power station for a year...

I personally think the only way is either bite the bullet and go Nuclear (but what will the long term effects of having all the radioactive waste lying about in the future? Who the f**k would want to live next to a nuclear power station? What about events such as Chernobyl? These all need to be figured out) or something ground breaking needs to be discovered.

To be fair, if push came to shove I'm fairly confident that the government would just push through more off-shore windfarms. They've got great potential, it's just the usual NIMBYs who are f**king it up. Back home in Wales, in my area there are several massive wind-farms, and they're nowhere near as bad as the media/NIMBYs make them out to be.

Word about solar energy though, as an actual source for energy (Not just heating water 'n' shit), it's just expensive and inefficient.

Yeah, offshore windfarms cost a f**kton to set up and maintain though. You have all the problems you have on land, with the added problems of storms, saltwater corrosion, cabling to shore, fixing them to the bedrock which could be 100's meters below the sediment surface, shipping problems etc.

It'd help a lot, but theres no way you can run our current energy needs on solar/wind/wave etc power, let alone the increased needs in years to come.

Wave/Tidal power - Already used all possible locations, makes up about 5%.

Maybe I'm missing something... what about the rest of the sea? like.. everywhere. And a very real example, the river severn.

I doubt it'll ever get to the point where we run out of oil, without enough alternative energy sources available to keep us going. I would guess it'd go something along the lines of... non-renewable energy gets more and more expensive as it becomes less available & harder/more expensive to find. As it gets more expensive, people realise they may as well start investing in renewable energy. Eventually non-renewable energy gets so expensive there is no reason to keep using/buying it, over putting money into renewable energy. In fact I'd say that process has already started.

electricity isn't really that big an issue though. there are other ways of generating it's just not cost effective yet. I'm sure by the time we have no fuel ( I'm almost certain i'll never see it happen. it's further away than most think.) the government will have stopped pouring cash into useless things like old people and the police and build massive offshore wind farms, more hydro electric dams and hopefully nuclear aswell.

powering cars is interesting though. The obvious choice is to use electricity it's already been fairly successful and hopefully the future will bring the ever recharging car whereby the car will be driving along using an electric motor powered by a battery which is being charged by a generator hooked up to the wheels.

hydrogen is another option I quite like because the waste is pure steam it's almost the perfect solution to the problem. hopefully this new honda prototype hydrogen powered car will work. I can see quite a few people being killed because their car explodes though.

Edited by G4vyn