Tyre Pressure...

Diz

Tube type  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your preference?

• Lightweight tubes = increased flat risk but lighter bike
    • Heavyweight tubes = reduced flat risk but heavier bike
    • Halfords tube...not the heaviest, not the lightest

Was just wondering what sort of pressure people run their tyres at? Whats the optimal pressure for bump absorption whilst also resisting pinchs?

Also, whats prefered:

Lightweight thin tube with increased risk of puncture/pinch

or

Thick tube with less risk of puncture/pinch but increased weight.

Edited by Diz

Maxxis walterweight innertubes are very good, abit lighter than a halfords tube but have a bigger volume so they do not stretch as much when filling the tyre (Y) I tend to run my tyres and 20ish psi rear and 18ish front and considering i am 19.5st ish thats quite soft but i don't pinch too often either (maxxis tyres)

Adam

I go for the biggest tube i can get in the tyre. At the moment i'm runnind a kenda 19" DH tube. It hardly fits in the tube but it does stop pinch's really well. I run my back at about 10psi and my front at about 10psi aswel, Only have a halfords tube in the front though.

If you saw Adam ride you'd understand. Smooth as!!

Well as soon as i get my car sorted i'm hoping to get along to some of the organised rides. Definately looking forward to riding with people who are much better (and smoother) than myself and generally hanging my head in shame :ermm:

No offense meant btw

Also just watched a vid of his, definately smooth.

Edited by Diz

A tube is a tube to me when it comes to weight, I'm running a Kedna DH 19" tube in the rear and its not a massive difference on weight (once its in the bike).

For me, getting the rear wheel in and out of the bike is such a pain, so I really want a tube to protect me on the rear.

Front I just have a generic bulk ChengShin tube.

I run my tyres rock hard by trials standards as far as I can gather with 30 psi front and back... I'm trying to see how low I can go with the pressure before the tyre starts squirming on side slopes on the back wheel... Given the scales at home puts me somewhere around 15.5 stone and I do a lot of street stuff involving square edges, I'm a big fan of running a DH tube inside a 2 ply tyre in the back. Haven't pinch flatted in a long time :).