The World Ends In 9 Days!

Boswell

Can't be arsed to read the whole thread but, this thing is very unlikely to make a black hole. If it did though, it would be soo small that it will suck nothing in, hopefully it will create a slightly large one so we can get rid of all the waste in this world. I am really looking forward for the results so then people can't say to me, 'your going to hell because you don't believe what I do.'

Please explain to me how you think the experiment disproves any religions!!!? :S

Edited by Boswell

Did anyone watch Big Bang Machine ? That was pretty interesting about the LHC - but pretty frustrating... they pitched it on the wrong level as I think most people who would actually have watched it would have liked a little more detail ...

Higgs boson - (or however you spell it) for some reason the scientists reckon its fairly likely that they will find it - even though it seems a bit of a theoretical fudge to me (again think thats to do with level they went at)

allthough the higgs field - kinda funky idea (seems to be a bit like "the force").

either way Im getting pretty excited about the whole experiment.

The amount of energy that is in transfer there will lead to almost black holes but the energy isnt sustained so they will effectively collapse as soon as the collison is finished. Thus why while black holes are being created, they wont lead to any end of the world situations

EDIT: In answer to rich's question, yeah there are alot of things taht the money could have been spent on but this isnt just cool, there may be applications of this stuff, in the way that when particles were discovered there was loads of new things developed.

I have next to no knowledge of this subject but i would imagine it isnt full known why/ how black holes form and how they are sustained etc in naturally occuring ones, could be wrong there??? but if that is true how do they know that it doesnt take just a tiny nudge for a black hole to get going? :S worrying stuff lol

I have next to no knowledge of this subject but i would imagine it isnt full known why/ how black holes form and how they are sustained etc in naturally occuring ones, could be wrong there??? but if that is true how do they know that it doesnt take just a tiny nudge for a black hole to get going? :S worrying stuff lol

A black hole, it has been discovered, can be formed when a star dies. It may collapse in on itself, and it will normally cause it to explode. However in some cases it collapses at such a rate it forms a point of singularity, whereby the gravity there is immense, dragging in nearby things.

The whole point of it being a singularity is that it has no mass but infinite density, otherwise it would just be reallydencemotherf**kingbitofspaceshit.

astrophysics and TF will never gel properly.

Explain then how it has so much gravity. It's got no mass, so no weight, but it's dense, so it's still made up of something otherwise there would be nothing to make it dense.

Unless, it's simply a place in space where the gravity is really strong.

Einstein described gravity as big bends in space, like a bend in another dimension that causes things to move towards each other. But according to other theories, gravity is given by a particle. It's one of the 4 types of energy: nuclear, strong gravity, weak gravity and electromagnetism. So according to that, if a singularity is to have lots of gravity, it must still be made up of something. Even if it's just made up of energy, that has no mass.

Explain then how it has so much gravity. It's got no mass, so no weight, but it's dense, so it's still made up of something otherwise there would be nothing to make it dense.

Unless, it's simply a place in space where the gravity is really strong.

Einstein described gravity as big bends in space, like a bend in another dimension that causes things to move towards each other. But according to other theories, gravity is given by a particle. It's one of the 4 types of energy: nuclear, strong gravity, weak gravity and electromagnetism. So according to that, if a singularity is to have lots of gravity, it must still be made up of something. Even if it's just made up of energy, that has no mass.

All mass is just energy condensed to a slow vibration...

Do some wikipedia trawling, then try and rationalise it, it's not going to happen.

Google gravitational/curvature singularities, he is right. Dr. Nick that is...

Edited by Bondy

anyone know about white holes though?

Until observed it doesn't exist. Just like the light SUSY, heavy Higgs and light Higgs are just theoretical but all are expected to be found by 2011 with the use of the LHC whereas that's just some bullshit and is not likely to exist in the real universe.

Edited by ZeroMatt

As Phil said, it's not until October that they begin trying out collisions.

Yet again it's just media-fuelled hysteria. People love a bit of drama. But I have to say, I think it'd be good if Earth got wiped out. Half the population of the West are just waiting to die anyway. They're terrified of terrorism and governments, scared shitless that everyone with a camera is a paedo, hell, some of them won't even go out in public without make-up on. We're just one big nation of f'ck-ups. From the chavs and irresponsible yoofs to unprecendented amounts of debt, murder, scams, corruption, dishonesty and untidyness. It's all a big mess!!

Come on CERN, clear it up!

As Phil said, it's not until October that they begin trying out collisions.

Yet again it's just media-fuelled hysteria. People love a bit of drama. But I have to say, I think it'd be good if Earth got wiped out. Half the population of the West are just waiting to die anyway. They're terrified of terrorism and governments, scared shitless that everyone with a camera is a paedo, hell, some of them won't even go out in public without make-up on. We're just one big nation of f'ck-ups. From the chavs and irresponsible yoofs to unprecendented amounts of debt, murder, scams, corruption, dishonesty and untidyness. It's all a big mess!!

Come on CERN, clear it up!

if you quiz members of the public youll probably find their individual opinion isnt half as bad as what the media say.

its like the medias brainwashed you :S:ermm: