Passports...

Mr Plod

Right the dilemma is as follows...

Going Paris in October on the 12th I believe. Only just filled out my application form and hope to get it sent off tomorrow. Now it's my first adult passport as I was on my mum and dads before when I was a wee nipper but I haven't been abroad since 1995!!!

How long does the process take as it looks as though I'll have to go for the interview what with it being my first adult passport and all that jazz... Will I get it back in time for the holiday?

I'll be travelling via EuroStar and my sister seems to think my UK Drivers license is adequate id although I highly doubt that but just thought I'd check to see...

So yeah how buggered am I and what are the chances of me getting it back in time for my holiday? Is there anyway I can get the thing done quicker?

Cheers

I used to work for them, but it was a year ago.

At the tme, when the interiew scheme had just started, people were being contaacted within two weeks of IPS (identity and passport serice) recieving their application, then passports were being delivered within two weeks of their appointment. Technically you could get it done, but if there is even the slightest problem (ticking a wrong box - they can be dicky) it could hold it up for you

0870 521 0410 is the helpline, they will be able to give you the most up to date information and advice, I'd say it would be worth ringing them just incase there is something you and I are unaware of, it wouldn't do any harm anyway!

edit: there is a check and send service available at post offices which can help to speed things up, but it's never guaranteed., i'd really suggest phoning them and asking, because it's towards the end of summer you might be lucky enough, if you could send your application to belfast, and have an interview over in england, that would probobly speed things up too, because belfast isn't often busy, but I don't know if you can even do that. (just know from experiance of people travelling in 2 days and lost their passport -only way to get it was to fly to belfast, get an appointment and then fly back to england...)

Edited by Jakers

I'm not sure if you need to go for an interview or not as you were on your parents. However, my passport took quite a while as they sent me a letter saying they needed my birth certificate, which had to be sent in.

It's gonna be close either way.

Unlucky.

Although your staying in the EU you need a passport.

I very much doubt it can be done quicker.

Don't want to sound like a twat but shouldn't you have thaught about this a long time ago ?

Nah I know I should've got it done quicker but for some reason I didn't think I needed to rush until now haha. My own fault I know...

I used to work for them, but it was a year ago.

At the tme, when the interiew scheme had just started, people were being contaacted within two weeks of IPS (identity and passport serice) recieving their application, then passports were being delivered within two weeks of their appointment. Technically you could get it done, but if there is even the slightest problem (ticking a wrong box - they can be dicky) it could hold it up for you

0870 521 0410 is the helpline, they will be able to give you the most up to date information and advice, I'd say it would be worth ringing them just incase there is something you and I are unaware of, it wouldn't do any harm anyway!

Well on the website its got a section where it says about "going on holiday in under two weeks" and they can urgently rush through it... I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say. Maybe throw in that I work for the police and have signed the official secrets act and maybe they'll leave the interview out ;) haha (I can dream can't I?!)

And JT... I'm doing the post officer check thing so they check the documents for me and so on... So hopefully no problemo there

Edited by Mr Plod

You dont need an interveiw, if you have been a British Citizen all your life.

You can speed the Process up at the postoffice, for a small fee, they will confirm all the documents, make sure its all filled out correctly (otherwise they send it back, and you have to start again) and do a couple other bits I cant remember.

I did this with mine and it came in a couple weeks, was about £7 for the Express fee, but check 1st.

get it sent off asap and it should be with you

OH!!

Being on the parent's passport doesn't change anything, you may be called for interview, but (again, this is only when I still worked there - this time last year) it is/was only a maybe. They may not have opened all the interview offices across the country so you might be lucky, I know I applied for my first passport ever after the scheme started and I had my brand new passport back in two weeks (probobly because belfast processed it) so yeh, phone them up, see if they are interviewing everyone yet and discuss your situation with them, they will want to bring you through a list of shit you need to submit, let them, I helped so many people out by making sure I ran through it unless they were real dicks...

You dont need an interveiw, if you have been a British Citizen all your life.

You can speed the Process up at the postoffice, for a small fee, they will confirm all the documents, make sure its all filled out correctly (otherwise they send it back, and you have to start again) and do a couple other bits I cant remember.

I did this with mine and it came in a couple weeks, was about £7 for the Express fee, but check 1st.

get it sent off asap and it should be with you

ANYONE applying for their first adult passport, may be called for interview.

I'd imagine being british born would decrease the chances of them wanting to call you in, but your first statement is wrong.

'Passport interviews are a new part of the application process to protect an individual’s identity. They are required by all customers, aged 16 or over, who are applying for a passport for the first time. The interview confirms that the passport application we have checked belongs to the customer and that they are the rightful owner of that identity.

Reminder: IPS can no longer provide a fast track service for first-time adult passport customers because they may need to have an identity interview.'

and

'Only adults who have never previously held a British passport in their own name will need to have an interview. This will not apply to people who held their own passport as a child, but it will apply to those whose names were included in a parent’s passport.

If you were born on or before 2 September 1929, you may not need to have an identity interview.'

Another point to add - the check and send service only speeds things up by getting the application to the post office on a special delivery basis, and by ensuring that there are no mistakes in the form, from the point where it get's to the office it is treated exactley the same as a standard application.

Include a cover note with your application explaining your circumstances and that you'd be most grateful if they could help.

Edited by Jakers

Yeah, my brother cocked up in the same way at the start of the summer, theres deffintaly a way of fast-tracking it, as he managed it. He had to go for an interview in cardiff or somewhere random like that. But yeah, it seems to be possible, but its gunna cost. (you have to pay extra, and you'll need petrol/a train to get to the interview.

Yeah, my brother cocked up in the same way at the start of the summer, theres deffintaly a way of fast-tracking it, as he managed it. He had to go for an interview in cardiff or somewhere random like that. But yeah, it seems to be possible, but its gunna cost. (you have to pay extra, and you'll need petrol/a train to get to the interview.

I live in London so I'm assuming that there'll be an interview center in London... I don't mind paying the extra to get it done quicker. Just want to get it done really. My own fault as I stated before.

You'll probably be fine. I applied for mine and was told I might have to have an interview, but I think they usually save the interviews for the more unusual people, if you get me, so assuming your other family members have a passport and you've got a 'normal' history and provide all the documentation they want, it should be pretty quick. Mine came back in 2 weeks (Y)

EDIT: Plus - this isn't really the 'on' season now, I don't think, so there shouldn't be the same rush as there would be at, say, the start of the summer holidays (Y)

I didn't read all replys in all honesty so Im just commenting what I did, so if someone allready wrote this, apologies!

I had same thing, I had no passport 5 days ago! Going Majorca tomorrow now. I went Liverpool. Fast track service. Passport was ready in that day. Takes 4 hours to do and cost me £114.

Scank I know. But yer I got it all sorted so im off now :D

Come home to a new bike too so generally pleased!

If your doing that you need your old passport, proof of ID, pictures of yourself, appointment letter you get sent thats it!

Oh and if you got a child passport, and you need it to a adult one now. Its classed as a renewal. But just ring up and get an appointment, or pay £74 to get it posted to you in a week!

Edited by Abdab

I didn't read all replys in all honesty so Im just commenting what I did, so if someone allready wrote this, apologies!

I had same thing, I had no passport 5 days ago! Going Majorca tomorrow now. I went Liverpool. Fast track service. Passport was ready in that day. Takes 4 hours to do and cost me £114.

Scank I know. But yer I got it all sorted so im off now :D

Come home to a new bike too so generally pleased!

If your doing that you need your old passport, proof of ID, pictures of yourself, appointment letter you get sent thats it!

Oh and if you got a child passport, and you need it to a adult one now. Its classed as a renewal. But just ring up and get an appointment, or pay £74 to get it posted to you in a week!