The Mighty Boosh

BONGO

I really don't get this new wave of comedy thats been rising in the last couple of years, the mighty boosh being amongst those shows and comedians that I just don't get.

I was brought up on stuff like Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Eddie Izzard, 3rd Rock from the Sun, The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy etc, etc, which for me were basic, flat out comedy that was still well written and intelligent. Stuff like The Office, the Mighty Boosh, Green Wing, Ricky Gervais, Phoenix Nights, Little Britain and even stuff from a little further back like The League of Gentlemen, all just confuse me and I often end up labelling them as 'Cringe Humour,' as in, the only way you might possibly laugh is by cringing at how un-funny some of the stuff is.

Maybe I'm just not clever enough to understand some of these shows or maybe I just come from a totally different social milieu to the current demographic of TV viewers and Radio listeners, so much so I gave up on watching and listening to either of them some time ago.

And now I'm reflecting on the irony of someone who doesn't watch TV or listen to the Radio, who's going to do a Broadcasting course at University. Second thoughts abound.... <_<

Rich

I really don't get this new wave of comedy thats been rising in the last couple of years, the mighty boosh being amongst those shows and comedians that I just don't get.

I was brought up on stuff like Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Eddie Izzard, 3rd Rock from the Sun, The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy etc, etc, which for me were basic, flat out comedy that was still well written and intelligent. Stuff like The Office, the Mighty Boosh, Green Wing, Ricky Gervais, Phoenix Nights, Little Britain and even stuff from a little further back like The League of Gentlemen, all just confuse me and I often end up labelling them as 'Cringe Humour,' as in, the only way you might possibly laugh is by cringing at how un-funny some of the stuff is.

Maybe I'm just not clever enough to understand some of these shows or maybe I just come from a totally different social milieu to the current demographic of TV viewers and Radio listeners, so much so I gave up on watching and listening to either of them some time ago.

And now I'm reflecting on the irony of someone who doesn't watch TV or listen to the Radio, who's going to do a Broadcasting course at University. Second thoughts abound.... <_<

Rich

i agree with that totally, apat from phoenix nights, i found it rather funny, although peter kay himeself aint all that funny. but i have to admit, i went back to watching red dwarf a few weeks back, and it aint nearly as funny as it was 1st,2nd, and 3rd time round.

Rich

I was dreading you saying Alan Partridge then, because i'd never be able to speak to you again. Steve Coogan is the man i measure comedy on! The higher the % coogan, the better it is! Nobody is even 50% coogan, such is his genius!

Hmmm, you've kind of mixed several 'types' of comedy there and classed them all the same.

Little Britain is awful; but its a marketers dream. The same catchprase over and over again which gets put on absolutely everything. T shirts, mugs, ring tones and all that shit. Marketing should be seperate from programming.

However, as Bongo said, Coogan is a fantastic writer, as is Ricky Gervais. Love him or hate him he writes some pretty good stuff.

But back on topic, The Mighty Boosh. I once told a friend it wasn't at all funny and he replied 'Well, get stoned and watch it'. Hardly a justified comment as I could laugh my head off at thin air after a smoke.

Frankie Boyle is my hero... almost everything thing that leaves his mouth on Mock the Week has me in stitches, no one else on the show (or anyone else at all for that matter) can get near him

Joe

also if you don't find the office or peep show funny...you're probably not worth knowing. i find the older stuff like red dwarf shite, its just so obvious, the lines come and every time its just seriously underwhelming, its a vaguely enjoyable watch but nothing ever makes you piss yourself, its just boring

Edited by thefletch

Frankie Boyle is my hero... almost everything thing that leaves his mouth on Mock the Week has me in stitches, no one else on the show (or anyone else at all for that matter) can get near him

Joe

also if you don't find the office or peep show funny...you're probably not worth knowing. i find the older stuff like red dwarf shite, its just so obvious, the lines come and every time its just seriously underwhelming, its a vaguely enjoyable watch but nothing ever makes you piss yourself, its just boring

get out.....go and sit in the corner and think about what you have just said......

Abso-bloody-exactly!

There seem to be a couple of new genres of comedy coming out over the last few years. I mean The Office was completely different to anything before it, and then Extras and Peep Show are in the same vein. Then there's Boosh which is just brilliantly surreal, but totally different again. And then Little Britain-style catchphrase clipshows which is a pretty old genre but they've made it annoying.

I reckon either you get it or you don't. Me, I quite like the Boosh (mainly the first series) and I love what I've seen of peep show. I can totally understand people not getting them though, but I wouldn't get upset about it.