What Is The Difference In Having 160-170-175 Cranks

Elmo =)

i found out the hard way, i got a set of 175mm and they rub against my hs33's because they are so long.

so mabey before you order a new set check the disctence from the bolt that attaches them to the bb and where your brakes sit. if you have disc's there shouldnt be a problem.

other than that im not sure what the difference is!

hope this helps.

So what's the advantage of having shorter cranks?

Shorter cranks can be spun faster without buggering up your knees so much, also gives a touch more clearance :)

I use 165 middleburns and find that 18/15 is a touch to high geared where as 18/16 is about right (possibly a bit low for taps mind). Its swings and roundabouts longer cranks need a higher gear ratio to feel the same as short ones - if you find something that works for you then use it :D

Used to run 158mm cranks on a 18:17 ratio. Thanks to their length, you could spin them really quickly and rolling moves weren't a problem. Same applied to gaps and other stuff, they made the drivetrain really responsive. I'm now running 170 on 18:16 gearing, it feels noticeably heavier despite the greater leverage.

The only real benefits of running shorter cranks is that you can spin them more quickly and retain greater stability while doing so. But it's a very minor advantage, something you'll notice when you switch over. It wears off almost instantly though.

i think it is to do with leverage but i don't know for sure. on my brothers bike he had 160 cranks and when he put 170 cranks on it made alot of difference. me and him both thought that we could get more power through as we could gap noticably further on it.

The reason for that is that you could. Think about it - push a door from near the hinges and it's hard as f**k. Push it from nearer the end of the door (Away from the hinges) and it's easy. It's the same with cranks. I ran 158s on my mod, and 18:12 felt 'right', I guess. I changed to 175s though because I wanted the power of 18:12, but I wanted it to feel a bit lighter. You're still getting the actual gear ratio, so it'll still be the same actual power, but because it's 'easier' to pedal with the extra leverage it feels nicer, to me. I really don't think the "Longer cranks arms mean less clearance" thing means much for trials, just because I can't really think of any situation where you'd have your cranks pointing down towards whatever obstacle you're trying to ride over? Like if you were riding over a rock, or off the lip off a drop, you're not going to have your cranks vertical or pointing straight at the surface of whatever you're riding on (Meaning they'd be at the point where they gave least clearance), so it doesn't really matter at all.

after all it's popular for a reason.

Fluorescent parts were insanely popular. That didn't make them legitimate or indeed right.