The Mind Boggling Puzzle And Quiz Thingy Thread

arw_86

hello riders,

i was told a puzzle the other day and its so simple but so hard and i know the answer but dont....i can t explain why it does/doesnt work it makes my brain go like mush (i hope u understand what im on about.)

ill tell you my puzzle in a second but i thought id start a topic for other people to post their puzzles/quizy things as although they do my head in most the time i cant help but wanna try and figure them out til i go mental.

so post away!

anyway my puzzle!! feel free to try and explain it cos ive tried and people are like yeh i understand but i dont ha.....i know it sounds stupid

right here goes

3 men go to a B&B for the night and are charged £30 (£10 each-if your shite at maths lol) so they go upstairs and unpack etc

then the receptionist realises he has charged them £5 too much

but the receptionist thinks i cant split £5 by 3 people so ill just keep £2 and give them back £1 each.

so now each of the 3 men staying have payed £9 each.

3 x £9 = £27

£27 + £2 (the £2 the receptionist kept) = £29

where has the extra £1 gone?! :blink:

some people will read this and just think im stupid/thick but i hope some people get brain ache tryin to explain it like i did

cheers ARW

Edited by arw_86

think it depends on how you do it.

10 er each

charged £5 too much, so that's a total of £25 it should've been. So, the receptionist gives them each £1, and keeps £2., which is your missing £5

I think what happens is when you round 25/3. When your round numbers you lose accuracy, and thus, numbers.

yeh it makes sense that way, but then if u think of it as they have got £1 back each then they have each now payed £9 in total (£10 - £1 they were owed = £9). so it dont add up that way. but i dont know why? i think i might be trying to think about it too much thus making it harder than it actually is. works one way but not the other. ye i think its in the wording 2! lol ill shut up now

post your own people!

NICE NICE

Edited by arw_86

yeh it makes sense that way but then if u think of it as they have got £1 back each then they have each now payed £9 in total (£10 - £1 they were owed = £9). so it dont add up that way. but i dont know why? i think i might be trying to think about it too much thus making it harder than it actually is. works one way but not the other. ye i think its in the wording 2! lol ill shut up now

post your own people!

NICE NICE

The question is: WHY are you adding the £2 on to the £27? You've already added it on to get to £27 (£25 actual charge, plus the £2 the receptionist kept = £27 which is what the guys paid). You don't have to be a chartered accountant to figure that out!

MINE: You are looking into a mirror. Facing you is your mirror image. You raise your right hand, your mirror image raises his left. You raise your left hand, and your mirror image raises his right. They are the wrong way around. So, in your mirror image, why is your head still at the top and your feet still at the bottom? Shouldn't they be the wrong way around too?

Edited by Extreme_biker0

they way ive done it doesnt mean ive already added on the £2. becuase i get to £27 by minusing the £1 each off their £10 each bill. equalling £9. so 3 x £9 = £27. i know there are other ways of doing it that makes sense but to me i dont understand why it doesnt work they way im explaining either. i guess its just one of those things im not going to get.

MINE: You are looking into a mirror. Facing you is your mirror image. You raise your right hand, your mirror image raises his left. You raise your left hand, and your mirror image raises his right. They are the wrong way around. So, in your mirror image, why is your head still at the top and your feet still at the bottom? Shouldn't they be the wrong way around too?

as for your puzzle? lol i can explain it but im shite at explaining.....ill try. well your image is flipped 180 vertically (as in left to right) but not top to bottom. its an outline of u obviously but the detail within the outline appears to be in reverse. so ur head and feet would not swap ends as your image in the mirror is simply flipped 180 on a vertical axis not a horizontal one.

i think alot of these puzzles will be easy to figure in our heads but really hard to explain in words....

ARW

hm it is hard to explain. its like 5/9 doesnt equal 5+1/9+1

sorry what?! lol care to explain? im sure its a decent/clever/logical answer but as per usual im struggling :S

they way ive done it doesnt mean ive already added on the £2. becuase i get to £27 by minusing the £1 each off their £10 each bill. equalling £9. so 3 x £9 = £27. i know there are other ways of doing it that makes sense but to me i dont understand why it doesnt work they way im explaining either. i guess its just one of those things im not going to get.

You took £1 off each bill. So it's £9 each instead of £10 each.

3 x £10 = £30

3 x £9 = £27

Why are you expecting to add the £2 the receptionist took and get back to £30?

The way the £2 fits into it all is that is the difference between what the guys paid (£27) and what they should have paid (£25). She nicked £2!

Edited by Extreme_biker0

You took £1 off each bill. So it's £9 each instead of £10 each.

3 x £10 = £30

3 x £9 = £27

Why are you expecting to add the £2 the receptionist took and get back to £30?

The way the £2 fits into it all is that is the difference between what the guys paid (£27) and what they should have paid (£25). She nicked £2!

im sorry mate i think you should just give up on me....im dead weight. isnt it frustrating when you can understand something but the person your explaining 2 doesnt (i.e- me!)

see....i know the receptionist kept £2 and i know the men payed £27 so to me it seems theres £1 missing but i know their isnt lol

like i said.......id give up on me mate! im not worth the brain power

ARW

p.s- ill think of some more soon. keep adding yours and trying to solve others!

Edited by arw_86

this is quite a popular one. if i can remember.

you meet a man guarding to roads, one to heaven and one to hell.

if the guard is from hell, he always lies and if he is from heaven, he always speaks truth.

you have one question to find which way heaven is. whats your question?

"Which way to hell?"

Obviously, then if it's a guard from heaven, he'll say that'a way and you'll go the other direction. And if he's from hell he'll say that'a way and you'll go that way.

im sorry mate i think you should just give up on me....im dead weight. isnt it frustrating when you can understand something but the person your explaining 2 doesnt (i.e- me!)

see....i know the receptionist kept £2 and i know the men payed £27 so to me it seems theres £1 missing but i know their isnt lol

Think of it as, the three people went in only with £30 in their pockets. So there only ever was £30.

They give £30 to the receptionist - They now have £0 in their pockets.

The receptionist sees his mistake, puts £2 in his pocket and gives £3 back - They now have £3 in their pocket. They have spent £27. £25 has gone to the bill, £2 has gone to the receptionist. Easy.

And no Haz, that doesn't work. If he was from heaven, he would point to hell, but if he was from hell, he would point to heaven. And considering you don't know if he is from heaven or hell, you couldn't be sure which way he was pointing.

And Dr Nick, there's only one guard? Or would that still work? I know it's fine if there's two guards...

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

If an airplane is on a large conveyor belt and is trying to take off by exerting the thrust needed to move it forward at 100 knots, and the conveyor belt starts moving backwards at 100 knots, will the plane be able to take off, or will it just sit stationary relative to the ground, with the backwards speed of the conveyor belt counteracting the forward thrust of the plane?

If an airplane is on a large conveyor belt and is trying to take off by exerting the thrust needed to move it forward at 100 knots, and the conveyor belt starts moving backwards at 100 knots, will the plane be able to take off, or will it just sit stationary relative to the ground, with the backwards speed of the conveyor belt counteracting the forward thrust of the plane?

id say that planes only take off because of wind speed. (obviously when a plane takes off it needs a great deal of speed to create air speed over the wings...hense why planes always take off into the wind as a helping hand) so with the two forces counteracting each other and the plane being still. there will be no air speed to make the wings do their job and lift the plane up.

ARW

Edited by arw_86

Do you get confused about where the sun goes at night?

id say that planes only take off because of wind speed. (obviously when a plane takes off it needs a great deal of speed to create air speed over the wings...hense why planes always take off into the wind as a helping hand) so with the two forces counteracting each other and the plane being still. there will be no air speed to make the wings do their job and lift the plane up.

Who said the plane is still? See, you've failed already, and I posted that because it was amusing last time to see so many people completely thick it up.

Who said the plane is still? See, you've failed already, and I posted that because it was amusing last time to see so many people completely thick it up.

EDIT! - i read the other persons post before my previous one and it makes sense now

talk about feeling a bit stupid

Edited by arw_86

the plane will take off,

for it not to take off the plane would have to be powered by its wheels.

With the engines on the wings, the wheels just move twice as fast, thus the thrust is sufficient for it to take off.

i apologise!!!! i understand now! ignore my post before!

good puzzle.....you made me look really thick, cheers lol

FFS, Were not back to the plane taking off are we ?

IT DOES TAKE OFF !!!!!!

If you can't see that it does actually take off you don't deserve to have the privilege of breathing.

alright mate calm down!!! what do you mean 'were not back to the plane taking off are we?' we were only just on it?

like i said not everyone gets stuff at first, if at all. im sure ill understand some things more than you...but i wouldnt be such an ignorant t*t to tell them they dont deserve to breathe.

so yeh.....grow up and chill out mate

Edited by arw_86