What Can I Do?

Dan6061

I used to work for Just Tyres, as a tyre fitter, but left because I ended up hating the job. My boss was constantley overpricing customers because 'he needed to' because the depot wasn't making enough money. Everyone who worked for the company seemed to do this, rip people off. I didn't want to be a part of it.

There was never any customers there, nothing to do at all. Just sit in my car listening to music...

I'm not the kind of person to be sitting around all day, and be happy. I'm more of an active person...

I've looked on job search websites, Jobsite, Fish4Jobs, etc, but they're all useless. It just comes up with management jobs, even though I typed in that I didn't want to be a manager. It also showed me a few accountant jobs, even though I never put anything about me being good at figures, which I'm not.

I haven't got to that point in life where I know exactly what I want to do. I never had that dream when I was young... I've basically just been going through and seeing what happens. Now i'm stuck.

Basically, I just need some ideas for what I could do. I applied at Evans in MK, but I'm yet to hear from them..which I take as a 'no'. What do you do? How did you come about getting the job?

I don't have much experiance with anything, other than car tyre fitting, and working part-time in Halfords Bikehut for 2years. I'm good with bikes, but I've already tried the LBS, and it didn't happen.

Help? :unsure:

Yeah, man up and walk into every place that even slightly interests you and ask to speak to a manager. Give a CV then keep phoning/popping in to check on progress.

As soon as you start working somewhere you'll instantly get an interest in it, I even got enthusiastic about working in an opticians once ! :S

Best thing ive found is just to take up and office job that pays around 7-9 pound an hour and use that to bring in the money whilst looking for a proper job that you are interested in, office jobs arent that hard either aslong as you can talk on a telephone are mildly competent with the use of computers and can use a printer and fax machine you are sorted lol

I did that when I was job hunting first time round before working at Just Tyres. I left my CV with a lot of places, and asked if they could contact me if any job vacancies to come up. Funnily enough I heard nothing since. I might try that tomorrow though...

I did gain slight interest in the car tyre fitting, and started to get some pretty good knowledge on it. What put me off though was my boss. The only person I worked with, and he pissed me off every day. Ripping people off without a care. I even said to him i'd leave if he carried on, and he did, so I left.

I didn't think it'd be this hard to find one! :(

I really don't think i'd enjoy an office job, seeing as it'd just be more sitting around. Although at the moment i'll take anything just to get an income again...

Edited by Dan6061

You are looking at a very difficult time with the country going into recession. To be fair, if you can do/put up with it, it I'd say Bondy has the right plan. You can study something you enjoy while you work too.

True. To be honest, I didn't pay attention when I quit my last job. All I had in my head was that I didn't want to work there again, for the reasons I've already mentioned.

I handed an application form in at Tesco's earlier. I'm desperate...

iv just done a lifeguard course was a good laugh if you can get yourself on one the pay is good around 6 or 7 quid an hour their is plenty of hours aviable at most pools. Being a lifeguard can lead to other things gym instructor site attendant loads of stuff. Your always working with different people plus in a pool situation their is always bound to be some hot girls wondering about.

So my advice is try and get your self on a life guard course and then try and get a life guard job.

You may not fancy it at all but its only advice.

cheers

joe

Just an idea here.

When I realized all my music work was going to stop over christmas, I shoved my CV together, make it look really smart, and just hit everywhere. The same day I applied for a job, they phoned me and asked me to come in, and I got it! Designer Retail too, which is fairly good pay & 50% discount on stuff.

So just hit anywhere and everywhere, dress well, and have a smile on your face! :)

Im kinda in the same place I work at a petrol station at the mo and I hate it standing up for 8hours stright repeating the same words gets abit tiredsome to say the least I'm looking about for anougher office job at the mo as i loved my old one i have just gone with brook street recrutment to see what they have to offer just need to get my foot through the door then i can quit BP and see were the next job takes me its just a strugle fiting a job around collage but im sure somthing can be sorted out.

Im kinda in the same place I work at a petrol station at the mo and I hate it standing up for 8hours stright repeating the same words gets abit tiredsome to say the least

Lol, same with sainsbury's.

People always make me repeat myself.

They can go f**k themselves!

Also, it's quite obvious that if I'm sat at a till with no closed sign, appearing to be waiting for a customer, that my till is f**kING OPEN.

Customers are retards.

Yeah, so Dan6061, don't work in a supermarket on the checkouts.

Edited by Revolver

I got sacked a couple of days ago and need a job too >_<

Im being pretty fussy though :turned: It's such a shit time of year to get a job, no tourists around at all. The resturant I used to work at did 4 people tonight, probebly lost £500 easily. Every where's closed! Might go on the doll and sell weed for a few months ;)

I think for next couple of years, im just going to f**k around and ride my bike. Go and work at a bar or cook in a ski resort at winter. Then I have no idea, might take up carpentry again. It's just such a bitch working in snow and rain in the winter.

Get out of England, try and get a job in Australia or somewhere sunny.

In the exact same mini owning boat as you mate, so Ill be checking up on this thread, haahaa. I tried a recruitment agency and they sent me to a salad factory and hated it after the first hour; you think tyre fitting was bad.

Is there a Moss branch near you? Go work there. The guys in my local one are nice people. Probably doesnt pay great though get nice discounts though.

if you like to be kept busy then an apprenticeship is probably your best bet. what you do is up to you, if you like cars then becoming a mechanic is probably going to be a natural choice. But i love cars but i never wanted to work in a garage because i was scared i'd bore myself of them. So i chose to do an electrical apprenticeship, the money is ok when your finished and there are lots of options such as working offshore, or moving into design. that leaves me weekends and nights to arse about with cars/bikes.

obviously it depends what intrests you and you have to put up with < £5 an hour for the first year but it's not bad after that.

if you like to be kept busy then an apprenticeship is probably your best bet. what you do is up to you, if you like cars then becoming a mechanic is probably going to be a natural choice. But i love cars but i never wanted to work in a garage because i was scared i'd bore myself of them. So i chose to do an electrical apprenticeship, the money is ok when your finished and there are lots of options such as working offshore, or moving into design. that leaves me weekends and nights to arse about with cars/bikes.

obviously it depends what intrests you and you have to put up with < £5 an hour for the first year but it's not bad after that.

sure i was on like £7 an hour on the first year of my apprenticeship as a mechanic, was like £235 a week, 36 hours a week. im now on about £470 a week for 38 hour weeks(although thats before tax,ni pension, sharesave etc, so in reality i only see 2/3 of that right now at the end of the month).

although i am tempted to try and get a job on the rigs, as the moneys immense. (lookin at like an extra £10-12000 a year, whilst not having to buy food, commute etc for 26 weeks a year, as well not really being able to spend any of that cash for them 26 weeks) then the nice lengthy breaks.

but i really wouldnt knock an apprenticeship with a garage right now, providing you get a decent one. i went with BT, started just over 3 years ago, ive now got the following.

NVQ level 2 in light vehicle service and repair

NVQ level 3 in light vehicle service and repair

BTEC level 3 in light and heavy vehicle technology

city and guilds level 1 in MIG and MAG welding

could of been a class C1 lorry driver if id passed the test(and will most likely be class C in a few months, now im old enough)

along with a bunch of other competency certificates that you wouldnt get/would need to pay for if you where at a regular backstreet garage( PUWER-LOLER trained on shackles and lifting equipment, PUWER trained on abrasive wheels)

along with this ive also got a city and guilds introduction to hydraulic and fluid power(which i havent recieved the certificate for) and am currently going through nvq level 4 master technicians diploma, as well as the qualification to become an NVQ assessor, and so far i havent paid a penny towards my training. (theres people who started the same time as me, whove got another £10000 worth of training under there belt too).

but for the meantime, temp agencies and the like.