Should I Invest £1k In Halifax Shares?

JT!

HBOS  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Should I?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno / Don't Care / Lobster Dog.

Go for it, remember though the key rule of investing, only put in what you can afford to lose. I was tempted a while ago when RPS plummetted but I don't have the spare cash. A friend of mine took out a graduate loan and rinsed his interest free overdraft to put into RBS shares before the bailout was announced. :blink:

So then JT, did you invest in HBOS?

Nah, if i was working and wasn't relying on my money to live i maybe would have. But it's a wee bit too risky. Mind you i would have already made £100 profit as of now as i was going to buy them when they were at 62p. I'll just watch and see what would have happened.

i was talking to my step mum about this who works for halifax as is really knowledgeble on shares. she said not to touch anything to do with hbos at all or halifax because 0.6 of your shares are invested into loyds and halifax shares arent doing well so your only real hope is the loyds part of your shares and if they are low its going to be a waste of time. i would only invest if the loyds shares are conciderably higher than the halifax shares.

i was talking to my step mum about this who works for halifax as is really knowledgeble on shares. she said not to touch anything to do with hbos at all or halifax because 0.6 of your shares are invested into loyds and halifax shares arent doing well so your only real hope is the loyds part of your shares and if they are low its going to be a waste of time. i would only invest if the loyds shares are conciderably higher than the halifax shares.

Yeah but the whole idea is to buy low and sell high, not just invest money when they're high because they're doing good.

Not like i know what i'm talking about though otherwise i would have put my money where my mouth was.

As a full on noob question... where does one actually buy shares in the first place? I take it you have to go through some kind of trader who you pay to actually make the purchases? And when it comes to selling them?

depends how you actually do it, you can through a trader, i.e you give them £10k, they sort it out, play with your money, and take 10% off, but to do it yourself, most large banks (halifax,barclays etc) allow you to trade in shares, theres also loads of online share trading companies, with different types of accounts depending on how you want to trade (some charge a set fee per deal, some charge a percentage fee, some charge a set fee for amounts in set limits, others charge a set fee + a percentage fee, some have a monthly charge, allowing you so many trades per month/reducing your percentage fee etc)

one such place, dont use it myself, is just part of the website that sends me financial tips/newsletters.

Edited by trials_punk182

Only for a long term investment, dont think you will make a cheap buk here

I dunno, if i'd have done what i was going to do i would have earn't myself £600 in a few days. My dad's also done the same thing.

• 1 month later...