Beyond Ridiculous Driving Fine.

Ollie Histon

My friend recieved an on the spot 60 pound fine plus 3 points on his license for drink driving. i know what you're thinking, thats fair enough, except it was a can of coke? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

They call it "Driving without due care and attention" i.e. in the event of a hazard, you're mate wouldn't have both hands on the wheel and thus wouldn't be able to react as safely as possible. Not that I agree, just an explanation.

Loving your work boumsong, I did a similar thing with the end of a bowl of chilli con carne a long while ago. Fun times.

Driving with one hand on the wheel? Didn't have his full attention on the road/controlling the cat?

he pulled up to a mini roundabout and couldn't go. so took a swig of his drink, as an angry policeman was driving round the roundabout. Heres the question i would of put to the officer... What are the cup holders for then?

Well, there's a difference between holding something in your hand and just resting the hand on your lap/gear knob.

Slightly related, there was a study condutced in Switzerland or Sweden which proved that drivers who were talking over the phone (driving one handed) were much more careful and drove more safely than those who weren't making a call. Not that I think this should be made legal, just found it interesting.

The government/the police/anyone who has any power worth abusing, really do go out of there way to get at drivers.

Whats wrong with letting people have a little give and take when it comes to driving..Driving to circumstance is far better than driving by the law. And I don't mean doing 99mph through a 25mph zone just because it's 3am, most people should know what I mean though.

Yea, you might as well make it a round number...

Did you have a straw? :P

That is pretty rediculous though. Insurance is going to bite him in the balls, when they find out he has 3 points too.

I dont see how they can class it as driving without due care and attention. Same with smoking, it's not like it takes 100% concentration to drive anyway :rolleyes:

Laws are getting pretty stupid now, me thinks. In Australia your allowed to drink a beer, and drive at the same time.

What about changing gear, pressing the de-mist button, turning on air con, putting on sunglasses, changing track on a cd player, adjusting your rear view mirror...the list could go on.

I very rarely have 2 hands on the wheel, its just not comfortable. I usually have my right hand on the steering wheel, and my left resting on the centre arm rest, with my hand on the gear stick. Does that mean I should be fined?

I would contest that charge. Unless he caused an accident, then in that case he should have to deal with it. Its just a policeman on a power-trip. Its just a fine and points to the policeman, but to the driver, getting points on your license for drink driving is going to look very bad to an insurance company, and could possible even stop you getting insurance.

I heard about a new law proposed today, although I doubt it will come through for a while. Apparently if you're caught speeding more than once, you will be banned (or lisence revoked, I can't remember which). This country is just going crazy!

Laws would be very difficult to formulate if they were to apply to every possible condition. Therefore it's up to whoever is enforcing these rules to use some common sense and, for instance, realise that when stationary, having a sip of coke won't create a hazard on the road. Whoever gave him a fine wasn't sensible, end of.

I think some of you are missing the point, he had a can in his hand, you cant just grab the steering wheel when you have your coke in your hand, having your hand on the gearstick all the time isnt so bad, as you can jump your hand back on straight away without having to think 'oh shit, i need to either drop my can, or put it down somewhere before i suddenly turn' this all slows down your time to react. Fiddling around trying to find buttons is distracting, but then if you arent a spaz you should know where the buttons are without even looking! Again i dont necesarilly agree with the cops decision but strictly speaking you arent in full control whilst eating your apple or dunking toast in your poached egg because you didnt have time for breakfast, and so that is illegal-DEAL WITH IT :P

You know, there trying to do me driving with undue care and attention after my crash.

They say I should have observed the vehicle in front closer and then I would have been able to have seen him start to slide out. They reckon I would have been able to stop in time If I was paying more attention.

I told my solicitors and they laughed and said "See you in Court" :lol:

Edited by Pashley26

4 limbs control the normal car. If one is out of action, from holding food, drink, phone, map etc etc, then you are not in full control of the vehicle. You can fined for driving without due care and attention, or something similar if you are caught in this situation but have not demonstrated any bad driving when stopped.

It's the rules, so he shouldn't moan...

If someone holding a drink crashed into you, you'd be verrry quick to point out that fact to the police and expect that to be a contributing factor. It works both ways. Do things wrong, but don't moan when caught out.

You know, there trying to do me driving with undue care and attention after my crash.

They say I should have observed the vehicle in front closer and then I would have been able to have seen him start to slide out. They reckon I would have been able to stop in time If I was paying more attention.

I told my solicitors and they laughed and said "See you in Court" :lol:

You'll lose...

You always need to stop in time. Unless someone pulls in front of you leaving you with no space, then you need to be able to stop. The car in front is allowed to crash and by law, expects the driver behind to be able to stop in time. You didn't have time, so you are in the wrong.

You'll lose...

You always need to stop in time. Unless someone pulls in front of you leaving you with no space, then you need to be able to stop. The car in front is allowed to crash and by law, expects the driver behind to be able to stop in time. You didn't have time, so you are in the wrong.

You sure about that ? I know you know your stuff but that seems kinda non sensical given my circumstances.

Edited by Pashley26

Well, i don't know your cicumstances besides what i read in your post, which was that the car in front, for some reason slid his car, presumably coming to a stop or something similar, in your path, and you hit him?????

If that's pretty much what happened, then in the eyes of the law, you are to bame for hitting him. Only for hitting him. It may end up going to a part blame incident, as his errors put you into the situation where you had to emergency brake and stop, causing you to hit him. At the end of the day, your job is to look after the car in front, by looking after yourself pretty much. Whatever the car in front does, or whatever happens to them, you need to be travelling at a distance that allows you to come to a complete stop, or to take suitable avoiding actions to avoid any kind of collision with that car.

When i first passed i had an incident where i hit the back of a car, because i didn't give suffficient room. The fact that it was her bad driving and clutch control that caused her to be stopped in the road when she shouldn't have been was not even part of the arguement, because i didn't give myself enough time and space to stop. It lies with you unfortunately, which is shite :(

I hope i'm wrong, but i'm sure i'm not. Fingers crossed it does work out for you tough (Y)