French Cars

tipsy Jock

Looks like the 106 XSI isnt going to happen any time soon...

I have also just discovered that when in 19 in 2 months. I can get insured on a 205 1.9 GTI for £1400 in stead of £2000 now :S So looks like I'll be investing in one of those bad boys.

Anyone had one, and know what sort of MPG they do? please say 30+.

My grandad bought one from new, it went well enough, but it was a piece of shit. after 1,500 miles the head gasket went, after 5,000 the clutch went, it idled so badly and backfired regulary, his drive/garage was covered in oil from the ammount it leaked. Aparently the older 8v were much more reliable, not as fast for shit though.

He sold it after about 9 months of having it, to get a Golf.

My grandad bought one from new, it went well enough, but it was a piece of shit. after 1,500 miles the head gasket went, after 5,000 the clutch went, it idled so badly and backfired regulary, his drive/garage was covered in oil from the ammount it leaked. Aparently the older 8v were much more reliable, not as fast for shit though.

He sold it after about 9 months of having it, to get a Golf.

sold mine for a grand and it had 149 thousand miles.

sorry, what car do you have..

i've had german, british, french, more german, and my current saxo hasn't let me down yet.

have you ever owned a french car, if no, stop jumping on that passing band wagon

I've owned two french cars! Does that mean I'm allowed to slate them?

I had a 1.9 diesel citroen zx reflex, which was genuinely hateful, and then a 1.9 8v petrol volcane auto! which was truly amazing.

both were poorly built, but the volcane had big comfy recaro style seats, revved to 7k, had an awsome 4 speed 'sport' auto box, and handled really nicely being a 306 chassis.....

Then the big ends went at 86k :(

meh. it's renaults I have a passionate hatred for.....

EDIT: oh damn the irony. this is PRAWN but I've broken into frenchmans house whilst he's at the gym and I'm using his computer!

Edited by Frenchman

Anyone had one, and know what sort of MPG they do? please say 30+.

hmmm

*smiles*

my 1.4 205 GR gets about 35mpg at the mo. 60 on motorways though at 56mph :o Awesome little car, no of these aformentioned 'electrical gremlins' because it doesn't have any. Most electrically technical minus the headunit is the windscreen wipers ;)

I've always wanted a gti, although the gearbox in the 1.9 is pretty piss poor, for the extra 25bhp (compared to the 1.6gti) you lose out of power simply because of the box. In the ideal world, people buy 1.9 gti engines and swap the gearbox for a 1.6 one = Awesome machine.

Then you can go to twin webers, turbo chargers, super chargers etc. Like this young man here:

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Thats terrifying to be honest :ermm:

Thats wheel spin (Incase you didn't know ?), but yeah it would be terrifying to have the wheels spinning up at that speed !

*Having watched it a few times it doesn't seem quite so wheel spinny ! Nice :)

Edited by Pashley26