Bodge Jobs

Dave!

Whats the most stupid/funny bodge job you've even done to your bike?

A few years back I some how rounded off ALL my brake mounts on the back and held the four bolt mounts on with jubilee clips, strangely it worked better. :huh:

recently I had to help a friend angle grind a bb to get his crank arms off because the threads had died, Only thing was the remaining bits were now stuck in the arms and we had to use a blowtourch, a vice, a socket piece and an assortment of threaded bar to get them out.

So I was wondering whats the worst you've done?

mine would be when I bent my mech hanger. so I jumped on it and straightened it out still going strong (a bit) big stress line. And, this was done first weekend of December.

when you snap a hanger use a big zip tie and tie the mech to the frame.

i ruined a px frame when i snapped the brake mount and threaded a bolt into the remaining hole then bolted the part that had broken off into the mount didn't last very long lol

On my old jump bike I snapped the gear cable for the front mech, so I took the shifter and cable off and found a stone that was just the right size to hold the mech far enough away from the frame to use the second chainring.

I left it in for at least 6 months, when I wanted the first ring I just took the stone out, then put it back in when I wanted the second ring.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

All these stories about using stones, HAHAHAHAHAHA

stupidest thing i must have done is had rounded off the threads on my rear axle (just one side), so used PTFE tape to make the bolt grip a bit, so after riding for a while the wheel twisted so the tyre was rubbing on the frame , so stupidly i left it thinking the lugs/grip of the tyre would wear and stop catching, I DIDN'T IT ACTUALLY CUT THROUGH MY FRAME, it only took like a week to happen couldn't believe it

In Wales on holiday with my mate, we converted his bike into single speed, and we needed an extra 1mm spacer, but didn't have any! So I cut up a thick cable tie, and wedged it inbetween two of the spacers on the hub, so it was wedged in and let it all lock into place.

Was awesome! Lasted for ages!

Also, when I used to run a bashplate on my Zona, I had the rubber block from my T-Pro, which wasn't wide enough, so we snapped the lid of my mates lunchbox, and wedged that inbetween. :lol:

On my bike at the moment, on my Truvativ BB, I was missing a spacer, so I took a lockring off a really old BB, and screwed that on to space it out. Works fine!

• 4 weeks later...

headset tighten bodge

tie a piece of rope around your stem and then under your forks, put a screwdriver next to the rope and twist it round the rope so the rope gets tighter, hold it there while tightening your bolts back up. It's great if you dont have a big enough headset bolt.

headset tighten bodge

tie a piece of rope around your stem and then under your forks, put a screwdriver next to the rope and twist it round the rope so the rope gets tighter, hold it there while tightening your bolts back up. It's great if you dont have a big enough headset bolt.

ahem, my bodge :P

oo seems like a fun topic my go:P

Used a bit of brake cable as a chain link when my chain snapped

poked bits of paper down under my tpa when it was jammed

use gaffa tape for rim tape

put lots of gaffa tape on when i built my wheel because my spokes were sticking out

used a few washers as chain tugs :S

made my own bashrubber thing out of gaffa tape

Just noticed gaffa tape is pretty handy :)

Think that's about it as far as i can remember...

right my try

used a cut up coke can to temp fix some sq taper middleburns

used sides of a chain link and screws to fix a cracked rim

taped maggie on when clamp bolt snaped

used hair bands as zip ties for brake cables

barbed wire as a chian pin

welded a sprocket to some old cranks worked well but out of center

welded pedals to cranks

jubellie clip as a seat clamp

car accelerater cable as a brake cable

straws as brake sleves

candle wax as sealent to stop water getting in to bb bearings