Backhopping - Without Hopping !

Endohopper

So you're lining up for a move and pop the bike onto it's back wheel ready to bust out a sidehop or gap . A few correction hops and readjustments of body position and you're nicely stable on the back wheel . Every once in a while especially when you're not even aware of it you seem to "hover " between correction hops and just hold it perfectly . It's like a static manual . I had it yesterday , setting up and suddenly realising that I was just standing without hopping ( more like squirming during a manual ) for quite some seconds .

It's one of those things that I suspect if you delibarately attempt to do it could evade you for ages but when focused on your intended landing spot can occur naturally . I've seen both Mr. Felix Mucke and one of the Coustelliers stretch it out ridiculously long , usually in preparation for a sidehop . I would guess that a low pressure tyre on a fat rim will help and a good deal of subtle knee movement to stay over the sweet spot . Backhoppin' without the hops - backhovering ? :ermm:

Ever find yourself doing this ? Any good video footage ?

I have been using a rubber queen at a higher pressure than normal recently, yesterday I tried my other conti tyre at a low psi, I was setting up for a frenchie and I held it on the back wheel with no hops for a good ten seconds or so! Wish it was filmed, although I didn't land the frenchie :(

Didn't Ryan Leech do a vid where he wasn't allowed to do any correction hops?

yes, but ryan leech doesn't hold it on the back wheel as endhopper said. Ryan leech just doesn't hop.

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

the longest i've done is probably about 2-3 seconds, you get the perfect balance point right its pretty effortless.

if it does happens normally sidehops become smoother and sometimes bigger too! but it just tends to happen whenever, if i try hard enough i guess i can do it more often but a lot of the time thats not that im concentrating on!

steve

... I was setting up for a frenchie ...

:lol: I'm guessing some kinda U.C.I style move ? I also heard Adam from Tarty talk about a move he called a " batman " - guess I'm not down with the cool kids anymore with your funky names for moves . Back on topic , gonna have to check out Mr.Watson's videos and try to find that one of Coustellier .

Yes i did it yesterday, i was happened alot to me when i was practesing sidehops. I was doin it subconciously though and as soon as i noticed i was doing it i lost balance and had to cerection hop :( But it feels amazing and makes riding look so much more smoothly. Has already been said but Damon Watson every side hop he does is exactly like this.

Adam (Y)

yea iv started doing this for everything recently, get perfect balance and jus sit there with no hops so you can focus on the thing ahead... then wait till ur ready and uuuumffffffffff go haha normaly hold it for like 2-5 secs before i do summit.. seems to help alot