Whats The Oldest Thing On Your Bike?

Matt Vandart

I have a hope c2 which is probably about 7-8 years old. Eno freewheel is 4 years old ans still great. Revell pedals are 6 years old and still spot on. Plazmatic crm pads, 3 and a half years old and still going strong.

ok, just to add a twist, lets think up a bike built out of these long lasting parts? Obviosuly including recent parts dont count yet as they havent had 10 odd years to prove thier worth!

In my experience these lastest the longest:

Cranks: middleburns

Hubs: hope xc

Bb: un52

Forks: fattys

Headset: fsa pig

Brakes: between magura, sd7 and hope mini

Levers: xtr (if cable)

Rims: D521

Pedals: V8s

Chain: Kool

Stem: Prodigy

Bars: Never actually snapped any of my double walls...but i will go with kore freerides to be safe

Tyres: cant actually think of any that lasted me a decent time for the back, panaracer fire xc for the front

Frame: Never had one long enough to know!

cant be bothered to think of any more, but you, for me those have all been long lasting components

and keeping on topic: oldest part on my bike is my brake booster from the mid 90s woop!

Funnily enough i currently have a pashley ghz...and i think its here to stay. Not once have i felt that i want to change frame, its actual perfection :) cant say the same for my mhz though

Well, you say that but I rode a GHZ once and couldn't get on with it at all. But my MHZ was fantastic, if you want shot of yours then hook me up :)

Since i got a new job 2 years ago all my long lasting/ aged bits slowly disappeared. Though quite a bit of it is still in use, just not on my own bikes. Since the trials riders round here are older my trials stuff doesn't get handed down. But probably the best thing still going/ being ridden is my Macneil Ruben from 03, there's a young 'un down the local who's currently riding it.

my 5 maybe 6 year old rear magura which was fitted by the LBS (because back then i wasn't as adept with bikes!)

Only had to do a TPA bodge about 4 months ago, still on the original bleed, needs a longer hose to suit my new frame.

but don't want to touch it while its so reilable and still GOOD! and i mean no flex spongy-ness or leaking anywhere

gotta be my frame t-rex, its gone through bowt half the local riders arround here, now i have it its 5th hand and its still going strong only thing is 2 maggy threads are striped, one was my fault and one was like it when i got it :)

Edited by ding_dong

Whats the oldest thing on your bike?

I wondered this, as I have a really old set of Deore V-brakes which are now well worn but still work surprisingly well.

They have to be 8-10yrs old surely, though memory isn't that accurate, but even taking that into account they are seriously old.

They have followed me from bike to bike to bike, not just trials bikes either, when I had a spell out, going through free-ride and street and dirt and XC, they appeared on various bikes.

I also have a pair of middleburns that are well old, an FSA headset that is even older and might possibly be older than the Vees, that still work perfectly (even though the bottom bit of the headset has been cracked for years.

I just can't seem to get rid of them. I think the Vees are going now because I am gambling with death or serious injury when they finally give up, but I aint chucking them away!

I'll use them as tea stirers or summit. :D

Post your old shit here and lets see how long things really last.

Matt

Quite like this topic. I have been through a hell of alot of bikes and parts... the only part I can say I have really held onto while changing frames ect is my chris king headset. I bought this new in 2004, still running it today and can honestly say I have never had an issue with it. its been bashed in and out so many frames now that I have to admit its not to difficult getting it out or into frames. Seriously impressed with it. Never thought about that until now!

Edited by Towler

my maggie mounts, grey and black reversed. had them since i started trials. don't think i'll ever replace them!!

third oldest would be my echo internal bb. prob the best part i ever got. 3 years old nearly and i think it's just started going.

but the part i'm attached to is my red hope xc front hub, had two tryall rims built onit then sold it to a mate, he then sold it to vince, who built it up and sold it back to me a year later.

sold the hub for £25, got it back built ona D521CD for £35.

Edited by Aaron.gloster