Raven Build

Jitters

Hi all,

I know white bikes may be old news over there, but I like the way they look, so that's what I'm running with.

Making use of a media blaster and some high quality paints in a feeble attempt to make everything match.

Note that curing paint in the oven:

1) Does not go over well with your girlfriend (even if it's your oven)

2) Doesn't work so well if it gets too warm, as noted by the booster which yellowed. Haha

Waiting on spokes, hopefully building the wheels next week. White rims, btw.

If all goes well, I'll have it all scratched up proper by next weekend! :)

Will post all the parts and whatnot when it's complete. Hope you like so far.

Here's the other pic.

post-18816-1236535630_thumb.jpg

post-18816-1236535936_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tappets

Attempting to add a few pics. Bike is done! Plan to switch the headset with an Echo SL unit to make all the gold jive. OCD that way ;-)

I'll list what I can remember.

BT Raven 7.0

Zhi rims, no grind - yet :-)

Maxxis Minion single ply ST up front/double out back

Echo TR hubs, Crank bolts, gold bling nipples, v-booster

DT Swiss something or other spokes 3x both wheels

KMC Kool 810

Tensile 18t FW

Meta TCS cranks and bash

Trialtech bars, 16t rear sprocket, BB and mag pedals

Avid FR-5 levers, media blasted and painted

Avid SD-7 vee brakes

Moe green vee pads

Viz stem, headset in annoying non-matching gold

Echo Control vee fork, blasted and painted, disc tab hacked off for bonus points

Some kind of gray grips.

Built it from the ground up. Learned how to lace and tension/true the wheels and figured everything else out along the way. What a great experience. Only thing I couldn't manage was breaking the chain as my cutter wasn't manly enough to do the job, so I took it to my LBS for that. Took many months of saving and extra freelance art work to make it happen. I'm so happy!

That's pretty much it. Maiden voyage was a real treat! Gonna really like playing around on this. Think it suits me better than the mod already/ A few minor upgrades soon, but time to tear it all up! Wanna thank Tartybikes for helping me with a lot of questions. I bet I was a real pain in the arse. They rock!

Hope you like.

post-18816-1237430249_thumb.jpg

post-18816-1237430365_thumb.jpg

post-18816-1237430544_thumb.jpg

post-18816-1237430612_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tappets

Neat, one of the few white bikes that look good. Won't stay like it for 5 mins though.

Hope not. No fun building something like that if I can't have fun destroying it too. :D

thank you for the nice comments. Will post some later when I get the headset switched out.

Cheers!

Yes, Gary, that looks so good! Gonna do my 24" up all white as well. Looks like you stole my idea though! Hoping you can come up my way and we can ride sometime. Give that thing a good workout in the meantime! Oh, how are you liking the vee setup? Compared to maggies? Or have you ran maggies before?

Nah, haven't tried maguras yet. Went with the vee's because of availability - and that's what I know.

Was really considering dual disc for a while, but wanted to keep it simple 'cause that's how I roll. :)

I also like the squeaking.