What Shoes

mcspamhammer

I've got a pair of shimano spd's at the mo. The soles are pretty stiff to help with power transfer on my XC bike. If I take the cleats off would they do the trick or do I need something with a little more flex? Do I need a smoother sole. Would my walking boots be any better?

Different perople prefer different things... I'm pretty anal about shoes whereas others don't really care.

I only use shoes with a rubber covered foam sole as standard rubber soles don't allow me to feel the pedals as much. At the moment I'm using Five Ten Freerunner shoes, and really like them. I've not tried trials specific shoe as I prefer to not look like too much of a spastic, but they all use the rubber covered sole. Gilles was wearing some La Sportiva freerunning/trail running shoes at Koxx days which are pretty identical to the Five Ten Freerunners.

I always used to ride in Reebok Classics but I found that my feet wrapped around the pedals too much and I got really bad foot cramp.

I now use Koxx Try-All boots and I find them much better to ride in. The stiffer soles stop my feet from cramping up and the high ankle bit stops my ankle bones smacking into the frame or maggie pistons.

Its all down to personal preference though.

Go to your local TKMax... they have good quality skate shoes for under 20 quid usually... i purchased some zoo yorks from them recently.

And i have gone back to pinned pedals again (DMR v12 style) as i found the caged ones not so grippy.

I have some old tatty Etnies Annex's. Was going to throw them out ages ago, but put them on for some reason and still found them really comfy!

They have a really soft/worn out sole, which is good for me because I like my feet wrapping the pedals. I do have some DVS', but the soles don't flex at all, and I can't feel the pedals in them!

What mine used to look like:

Annex-1.jpg

What is the point of ankle support in a trainer?

If your going to roll your ankle your going to roll your ankle, a little pair of high top pixie boots isnt really going to help.

Hitting your ankle on your piston? Do your toes ponit ten past ten aye?

Still a bellend then?

Its not so much of a problem with my new coust. I think that's because the bb is higher, but on my old coust frame my ankle bones used to slam into the brake pistons if I did a 180 on the front wheel or anything like that. I used to wear shin pads with ankle protection in them which helped a lot but I don't have to now because I get that protection from my Try-All pixie boot.

It wasn't my ankle bones hitting the front of the pistons as if my toes were pointing ten past ten, it was more the side.

reebok-workout-plus-1.jpg

Ohhhhhh yes! Or Nike Court traditions. Although some of the thinner soled ones can be a tadd too flexy.

I also wear these (But in a different colour)

1290_3_480_300.jpg

Very very stiff soles and durable as f**k, had a few near ankle rolls in them, and only tore off the laces... so there all win also.

What is the point of ankle support in a trainer?

If your going to roll your ankle your going to roll your ankle, a little pair of high top pixie boots isnt really going to help.

Hitting your ankle on your piston? Do your toes ponit ten past ten aye?

Ankle support means that if you do roll your ankle, the support in the trainer stops you from going tooo far. I know all about this as im a serial ankle roller! I run high top skateshoes and they help with two things..

more support roung my ankles, and stops me from hitting the pistons. I have numerous cuts on my ankles from where i have caught them on the pistons. Ill show you them on the weekend.

sorry ross, your speaking pish.....

ali - my comment to you is......i have high top shoes and have both ankles working....yours is in a cast :P

SPD shoes are rubbish on flat pedals, the soles are too stiff to give you any feel and the rubber on them is too hard to allow the pedals to dig in well. I find with cage type pedals soft soles (Such as skate shoes) are best as the rubber of the shoe needs to deform a lot around the cages, while for pinned pedals like V8's a harder sole such as that on runners is best. As an example I bought Nike 6.0 shoes for trials on the recommendation of a friend of mine who was using them. He likes cage pedals and they worked really well for him, but they just slid off my V8's as the rubber was soft enough that the pins just raked through the sole rather than gripping. I wear Asics runners riding trials (And doing pretty much everything else too) and find they're fantastic on V8's, but they don't grip anything like as well on cage pedals.

Stiff or flexible sole is more down to personal preference, though I reckon a slightly stiffer sole is better with V8's than with cage pedals, purely because (decent) cage pedals tend to have a slightly bigger surface area, so support the foot more.

Edited by psycholist

Anything with a soft grippy sole to be honest.

Are they for street or comps? Remember if you dab, you need something that'll grip on wet rocks and mud etc aswell as just pedal pins.

I used to ride in skate shoes all the time, but I always found them a little rigid. Now tennis shoes seem to work well, green flash to be specific.

There's pretty big variety in Shimano shoes. Some SPD shoes are pretty flexy (E.g. Shimano DX) whereas others are basically carbon fibre and rigid. Shimano also make some non-SPD shoes which don't look to bad, and are supposedly pretty grippy.

I saw Danny Mac was wearing some Shimano DX shoes (presumably the non-SPD version), so you know they're gonna make you ride like a hero.

But sometimes grip and comfort aren't enough. For the ultimate in stylish footwear, look no further than THESE.

I found that my feet wrapped around the pedals too much and I got really bad foot cramp.

I had the same problem, So I got some Trident trials shoes and they are good as, They have high ankles, Relitivly soft grips so your feet dont fall off the pedals, and are real compfy, only down side is that they are a bit pricey at $150NZD.