Jobs.

Dan6061

I've been out of work for... well, too long now.

I now have my car back on the road, so I can finally go job hunting! Thing is, I have no idea what I want to do.

I was a car tyre fitter before, which was alright, but the place I worked at was overpriced and never busy! The hours were terrible and non-negotiable, so I left, was sick of it.

I don't have much experience in anything really, apart from tyre fitting, and I also worked in Halfords Bikehut part-time for 2 years.

I want to do something practical, not sitting at a computer all day (Do that enough as it is!)

I'm pretty stuck on ideas, so what do you do, and how did you get the job?

Did you need any training/experience when you started?

I'm going to have a drive around the local towns tomorrow and see if anything comes up...

None, really. Got a B in an English GCSE re-take, and I think half a btec in first diploma media... other than that, I'm self-taught.

Wouldn't mind working with cars really, but most places want experience or need college course certificates..

I don't want to go back to college, I just want to get a job and earn some money!

I've been out of work for... well, too long now.

I now have my car back on the road, so I can finally go job hunting! Thing is, I have no idea what I want to do.

I was a car tyre fitter before, which was alright, but the place I worked at was overpriced and never busy! The hours were terrible and non-negotiable, so I left, was sick of it.

I don't have much experience in anything really, apart from tyre fitting, and I also worked in Halfords Bikehut part-time for 2 years.

I want to do something practical, not sitting at a computer all day (Do that enough as it is!)

I'm pretty stuck on ideas, so what do you do, and how did you get the job?

Did you need any training/experience when you started?

I'm going to have a drive around the local towns tomorrow and see if anything comes up...

By the sounds of things you should get an apprenticeship. I was in a similar situation but decided against a career in the motor trade because i thought i would have become bored of working on cars. so I went for an apprenticeship as an electrician/plumber and i'm now in my second year. it's quite a nice combination of the practical side - instalation, maintanence and craftmanship, Aswell as the less hands on part - Testing, inspection, regulations and problem solving. The money isn't great in the first year but after that it's ok. I've got evenings and weekends to work on cars and homers etc pay really well so they pay for most of my car parts/cars.

At the end of my 2nd year at college, my grades was rubbish, DE in computing and geography A2 and a B in AS chinese. Going to uni seemed unlikely when I finished 2 years of college. My plan was really to get a normal job and live at my parents till I could move out but I didn't like that thought in the end. So I went back to college for my 3rd year. Took up AS 3D Design in my 3rd year and got an A by the end of my 3rd year at college. Uni was now possible :P

But I needed some money.

Never managed to get a job in retail places and have been looking since summer 07 but never got one. So I gave up and lived off my EMA :) Wasn't unitl near the end of my 3rd year that I realised I needed some money for uni so I looked again.

I was job hunting on a website (can't remember what is was) and found a job as a 'caretaker'. I phoned up and left my details. Got a call back for an interview 2 days later. It wasn't really a 'caretaker' job, all I had to do was sit in a little hut and wait for people to come and rent out the tennis court, putting green or bowling green.

Wasn't even really a formal interview either, I turned up in in a normal t-shirt and jeans (I had to cycle there). I was just asked what I do, what I've done etc etc. Didn't even needed to see my qualifications or read my CV. So after the talk, hand shake, I got the job!

Best part is I get paid £7ph for doing absolutely not a lot, in the little hut I sat in, there's a small tv, radio, small kitchen and toilets. So I guess I got lucky, no experience/training needed. It did get boring sometimes, sitting on my own for 10 hours on a weekend.

Now I'm at uni and living off loans and grants. But I can start my job again soon, just waiting for them to call me back!

Good luck searching for yours!

Edited by weirdoku

I did look at apprenticeships, and considering doing one. Need to look into them more really!

My last job (tyre fitting) was just sitting around in a warehouse full of tyres from 8:30 - 6pm Mon-Friday, and 9:30 - 6pm Saturdays. I hated it, didn't actually get any customers most days, it was so boring!

Over Christmas I worked in Envy (clothes store). They had a sign in the window asking for a sales assistant, and I basically walked in with a CV, asked to speak to the manager, handed it to her. Got a call a day or so later asking me to go back for an interview, made sure I dressed smart yet stylish, and I got the job.

I tried 5 shops before hand and didn't get anything back from them, and it was a on the spot "should I or shouldn't" I kind of decision to go in, and I thought "why not!" - thankfully it paid off!

Hope this helps in any way!

:)

I was job hunting on a website (can't remember what is was) and found a job as a 'caretaker'. I phoned up and left my details. Got a call back for an interview 2 days later. It wasn't really a 'caretaker' job, all I had to do was sit in a little hut and wait for people to come and rent out the tennis court, putting green or bowling green.

Wasn't even really a formal interview either, I turned up in in a normal t-shirt and jeans (I had to cycle there). I was just asked what I do, what I've done etc etc. Didn't even needed to see my qualifications or read my CV. So after the talk, hand shake, I got the job!

Best part is I get paid £7ph for doing absolutely not a lot, in the little hut I sat in, there's a small tv, radio, small kitchen and toilets. So I guess I got lucky, no experience/training needed. It did get boring sometimes, sitting on my own for 10 hours on a weekend.

This is the same I job I had last summer and will have this summer in the local park, through the council my step dad sorted it. Tv, xbox, the lot. Got told I was most likely going to be bored all day and friends were welcome and so was sunbathing. Apart from not being able to ride much, it was pretty darn good!

This is the same I job I had last summer and will have this summer in the local park, through the council my step dad sorted it. Tv, xbox, the lot. Got told I was most likely going to be bored all day and friends were welcome and so was sunbathing. Apart from not being able to ride much, it was pretty darn good!

Yeah mine was through my local council as well. I didn't get an xbox though, but I did bring my dreamcast, PSP, DS with me a few times! On rainy days where NO ONE would come I actually lock the doors and go to sleep in the small room at the back!

Yeah mine was through my local council as well. I didn't get an xbox though, but I did bring my dreamcast, PSP, DS with me a few times! On rainy days where NO ONE would come I actually lock the doors and go to sleep in the small room at the back!

Didnt have to work rainy days, used to love looking out the window and seeing grey sky and going back to sleep. Could still claim pay though :)

i have been working for my dads property maintanace company for 6 years, general building work and carpentry, im also a KP at my local resturant, and work before and after school on monday market in my town. ive also worked for different builders and worked in the local bike shop for 2years and worked with a fencing company for 6 months. im still at school 5 days a week. but leaving soon and doing a apprenticeship with a builder and carpentry 1 day a week at collage.

I've worked as a Litigation Consultant despite knowing nothing about litigation. I basically took calls all day from people about to lose their homes and either took payments, talked to our laywers or told them we would be taking their house. That job was soul destroying. Kicking a single mum out of her house a week before Xmas while i could hear he kids in the background on the phone was the final straw.

I've also worked as Sales Opperative for a bathroom manufacturer. That was a good job, played darts all day and tok calls from builders merchants.

Once I've finished uni my dad has asked me to work for him so I will be a car salesman which will be good.

I strolled into a Civil Engineering CAD job, which if you like anything technical and like fiddling with computers and design software you'd probably quite enjoy. It's mostly common sense, basic maths and basic physics (ie gravity). Didn't have any relevant quali's and only average GCSE's.

I'd really very strongly reccomend getting a job on the lower rungs of the ladder before commiting to any kind of course, just to get a taster of it and seeing if it's worthwhile. As much as I like cars, engineering and getting mucky taking things apart, i really wouldn't want to do it for a job, not to mention it's a shrinking industry and there's limited cash in it. Can also get similar jobs in town planning, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture. Once you're in the door it's a pretty big world, and a lot of the skills are transferrable.

Im currently working for a massive out sourcing company, just been promoted so im working as a John Lewis Software support agent. Just getting there has been a long long long road though. Spent 3 years at college, then have spent the last 4 years doing IT courses at home, while working for Acer(which is proper shit) for 3 years. Best way to think about it is to go though and get a shit job, stick with it for the fact that it looks good on your CV, its money and you should be able to stay alive. Once you have a job its easier to jump between them, and there is that constant reminder of wanting to get a better and easier life. There was deffinately a few time that i felt like just upping and walking out on Acer, but then i landed a job offering support for Toshiba, where i got noticed by a few important people, so ive now been move to John Lewis, but have been told when there is a team manager job i should really go for it. I was lucky o get a foot in the door, but when you do get your foot in it is a lot easier to move up the ladder.

I hope that makes sense, but in a nut shell... try not to be to picky, especially in this economic climate where jobs really are hard to find and keep.

I have a apprenticeship with the biggest bus company in the west midlands. Its the best choice of my life I have ever made im in my second year now, money wasn't that good in the first year it was respectable got my a car and decent stuff, but now it get 250 a week ands thats not even half what the fully trained fitters get. I have to go to college but you have to stay in digs all week (due to there only being two of the psv colleges in the uk, and we have people from all across the country come). I kinda fell straight in to I didnt have good grades, but luckily my dad is the management at a other depo, and he started as a apprentice and work his way up. So they thought that I could do the same. There are a hell of alot of companys that send there apprentices to college, so if i where ide try my luck there.

When i left school, i got an apprenticeship in plastering with Carillion, and to be honest, i absolutly hated it. Fair enough the first year was fun, but after that it got boring doing the exact same thing every day, and the crack was boring. So i quit that, and got a job as a Landscape gardener and Digger driver, and to be honest... i absolutly love it. The crack is awesome with the guys i work with, cause its a family run business, so theres always crack to talk about... my bosses are really down to earth and we just mess around alot and play fight all day lmao. Im half way through getting my 12tonne digger driving ticket, which will be awesome once i get it, cause it means i can drive any type of digger up to 12 tonnes, which isnt small. lol

Its a pretty easy job, intill the landscaping side comes into it, which can be abit of a back breaker... but aslong as its nice weather, then im not too bothered! :D

I work part time in a small independant hobby store, selling anything from car parts to bicycles to RC vehicles. Its what I have done for the past 2 years.

I got the job as I attended a Minimoto (sold by them) race meet which they organised, and when I got into trials I went through them to buy my first trials bike.

Since those two events I went in to the shop weekly, just talking to them finding out more about the people who worked there, soon built up a relationship with the shop, and when summer came they chose me as a part timer to fill in whilst schoolkids were on holiday.

The only reason I was chosen, is that I am the only young person about who filled their criteria (has experience and a passion in some of the products they sold, and they had a good amount of trust with me).

2 years on, I love it, theres a few things about it that get me down and I think "Hmm I want to go to a more corporate larger retailer?", but have some real good times at my current employer and love the relaxed environment.

As well as access to the work shop and lots of bike parts, and having lots of accounts open with lots of companies means I can get trade on just about anything.

I work at Game.

I went in with a CV and gave it to one of the guys on the shop floor, it was passed on to the manager, who was in need of christmas temps.

I was offered a position, after Christmas they asked me to stay on as I was such an awesome temp.

i left school and went to college doing a nvq in weld and fabrication as well as machining, then once that was finished phoned 1 local engineering company asking if they wanted an apprentice, they said they didn't really but to go in anyway,

went in, had my interview, dressed smart, made chit chat with the interviewer phone call literally 2 hours after i left there, offering me a job.

been there nearly 3 years, done my level 2 and 3 CITY AND GUILDS, now i am going in the army in REME as an armourer, i will go for evey avaliable course, from forklift, HGV, no matter what i will go for the course and they will pay for anything, it'll give me higher than an engineering degree asnf i will get to travel the world, have disipline etc and have a garanteed job with good pension, eveything paid for..

as well as having the best time of my life, making hundreds of new friends..

think about it

I'm an IT Administrator; I love the job however I don't really like the workplace. At the moment it is for job security why I remain there.

I've worked there for 5 years now, I joined a trainee in the Quality Control Dept which I eventually took over - mostly lab work with product testing, raw material testing and things like that. Some people think its interesting, unfortunately I didn't so I packed it up and explored other options.

At my current workplace I was offered a Qualifications in various things, even things that never really appealed to me, but it helped boost my CV no end. I qualified in Fire Safety Assessment, PAT Testing, First Aid and NEBOSH Diploma to name a few.

The NEBOSH was the big one, that required about a year of study for a recognized qualification in Health and Safety. I got this qualifications and set to my new job as Health and Safety Officer at 19 years old...NOT the sexiest job title in the world I can tell you.

I got pissed off with this job. People don't understand it and will systematically hate you when you tell them what you do for a living; or worse, see you as a boring twat.

So I packed this in and took over IT which is my calling.

I support around 25 clients and 3 servers for problems and solutions. I cover Exchange, Storage and Backup, Networking and Security, Sage accounting software and all that jazz.

Only you can decide what you want to do, as you can see from my experience you can do in and out of jobs and waste a lot of time and money before you find out what you enjoy.

Unfortunately/Fortunately, depending which way you look at it, IT is a massive, massive area to chase a career, and so you'll rarely be out of work - even if its working for yourself doing support.

Out of interest, have you considered the Army?

im a kp (pro washerupperer B)) i went in and asked. :D

We sent out kp to another (I cant even spell restaurant) to get a leg of salmon today, he even did it :lol:

Im a chef at a nice little beach cafe, I got the job by going in and speaking to the head chef. And obviously because im god

I know it's hardly the kind of career you want mate, but try B&Q. Just apply online (diy.com) for little effort and see what happens. At the end of the day, it's fairly good pay, bonuses and commision if you happen to end up on the showrooms departments. Plus the fact that if you come out of it with a good reference and a bit more work experience it's hardly gonna be detrimental to getting a job you're more into after.

I work at sainsbury's, picking shit up, scanning shit, and putting shit down.

I had a customer have a go at me for going too slow. I was packing her bag as well. She had the go when I sat down and scanned faster because there was her and a colleague both packing. In situations like that, it is possible to go fast. If I'd done it when there was just her, she would complain I was going too fast.

Stupid woman!!!!!!