Removing Colour From Rims

Lar

Say for example i was very poor so couldn't afford a new wheel, but also annoyingly anal about my colour scheme so wanted a silver rim, are there any relatively easy ways to remove the colouring, to make it bare silver?

And would this have any adverse affects on the metal at all?

Cheers

Say for example i was very poor so couldn't afford a new wheel, but also annoyingly anal about my colour scheme so wanted a silver rim, are there any relatively easy ways to remove the colouring, to make it bare silver?

And would this have any adverse affects on the metal at all?

Cheers

Nitromorse

Will this wonder fluid be available from all good DIY stores etc?

Nitromors will only work if it's painted, right?

If it's anodized you'll be needing caustic soda, though I do believe people have used Mr Muscle (or something similar) oven cleaner in the past...

Hmm very probably anodised, but sounds as if i could find something that could work.

I've literally just done this to my rear rim and I used Mr. Muscle oven cleaner and some wire wool. And from a short distance it looks perfect.

Just standard Mr muscle oven cleaner that you buy from Morrisons etc ?

How long did that take you approximatly ?

To strip powdercoat you need to soak it with nitromors and leave it for a while to work, you should be able to scrape the jellied paint off with a flat wooden scraper (shouldnt scratch the rim too much). Carefull of your skin and eyes, nitormors is nasty stuff.

To strip anodizing you need to submerge the rim in a caustic soda solution and it will strip it back to metal, keep an eye on it and dont leave it too long as it will start to attack the metal. Mr muscle oven cleaner (the foam stuff you leave on for 30 minutes) contains a mild caustic mixture and will strip the rim, might need a couple of applications to get it right though.

Whichever method you use you will probably not have a plain silver finish, it might be patchy or discoloured, a quick polish will take it to shiny or if you want to apply a brushed finish to it then get a couple of scotchbrite pads and add the brushing in with them.

Yeah just the standard foam stuff, it took me about a can and a half and in total took about 2/3 hours but that was leaving the foam on for about half an hour to 45 minutes at a go. I also only used the wire wool at the end, if I used it from the start it wouldn't have taken so long.

Nitromors will only work if it's painted, right?

If it's anodized you'll be needing caustic soda, though I do believe people have used Mr Muscle (or something similar) oven cleaner in the past...

took me an hour for a pair of cranks (Y)

Caustic soda takes around 20 seconds to remove anodising and is cheap so you may aswell use that! it is very dangerous so wear thick gloves and eye protection - the stuff is leathel.

Once you've washed it off clean the metal (it will look burned) then sand it lightly for a short time. Clean it again and then use wet and dry paper (wet) and rub that one the metal for a long time until very smooth. Clean the metal again.

Once thats done rub brasso on to the metal repeatedly, cleaning as you go. Do one final clean and if you've done it correctly your rim will be a very highly polished chrome!

Edited by Matthew62