Mac Vs Pc

that NBR dude

Mac or PC?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have the Mac or the PC?

• Mac
    • PC

I know there are a few Mac threads about, but this isn't really a "Mac problem", so apologies if this has been asked before.

Basically I'm going to be buying a new machine in a week or so, but I'm really torn as to which route to take. I've never ever been a big fan of Apple and the fashion etc, however for my needs (editing photos and HD video), people seem to suggest a Mac is the better option for me.

I'm looking to spend around £1000-£1200 tops on one, which will just about get me a 24" 2.66ghz dual core Mac with 4gb ram and a 640gb hard drive.

At the other end of the spectrum, I've managed to spec up a PC with a 2.4ghz quad core, 8gb ram, 2tb hard drive, blu-ray player with a 24" widescreen HD monitor for £900 from Dell.

Is having a Mac, which seems a considerably lower spec than the PC, really worth the extra £300, and will it give me £300 worth of benefits? I would also have to re-buy my Adobe software which means spending more money. Alternatively should I buy the PC and spend the £300 I've saved on beer and hookers?

Thanks

Andy

Poll added for JT :)

I'd go for the PC, you get a much better spec and if you ever feel the need to play games or anything in future you can.

For me a PC is the obvious choice, no doubt Mackdaddy will be in hear soon, he's been using Macs for years so he knows exactly why they're good and bad.

The bad thing I can see is the cost for the performance (although the Mac OS doesn't need as much power to be as fast as a PC), the up side is they hardly ever require wiping and don't break or get corrupted very often.

Personal opinion screams stick to PC.

I hear Macs are more stable for media, but the ones at college crash more than the PCs.

(This could be that we're mostly PC people, and can't use Mac's properly though)

From a professional point of view - I don't know - to be honest.

The specs you've put would tell me to go with PC INSTANTLY, even if I'd never used either.

Lower spec for much more cost and a white case just isn't worth it.

Intel i7 920 system I put together for around 500 quid is kicking the crap out of AVCHD video - I would guess that it would kick the crap out of that dual core mac too ...

2.8ghz quad core (although I have run it over 3 and some have got it to 4 ...) 6GB ram 1tb hard drive - does the job.

Get a custom build PC for that money, you'll get so much more than that Dell system.

It all depends what you want to do with it to be honest, I love PC's purely because I've always used them and you get more for less.

You're paying for Apple logo really mate, sure it looks nice though.

The Dell system is with a 20% discount, so I don't think I'd be able to get the price any lower than that elsewhere.

Cheers for the responces so far, pretty much what I wanted to hear. Like i said, I really really dislike Apple. I don't know why exactly, theres just something about them. I don't like paying over the top for a fashion statement. Its why I don't own an i-pod or an i-phone etc.

It sounds like you know in your heart what you want to do, stay pc.

A family friend runs a large IT based company, he feels that the extra productivity from the reliability of the macs more than justifies the extra cost so is gradually changing all the computers to macs. I hope to change sometime soon (I.e. Whenever my PC next annoys me sufficiently...) I'm not fussed about performance and like the looks/ ease of use.

I'd go with Mike, for £1200 you could probably build a beasty i7 powered machine and have enough spare to get a couple of monitors to go with it.

I was only prepared to stretch to 1200 if I were to buy the Mac, I wasn't overally keen on spending that much. That dell system is already a damn good spec for the price, plus I don't have to worry about sourcing the bits seperately and building it etc.

Thing is with something like that, its £660. A 24" HD monitor is a good £300. Its got a smaller HDD, less Ram, no Blu-ray drive, no Windows.

Cheers for the link Danny, I shall have a spec on that one. Even if I substitute a few things like 1tb hard drive rather than 2 etc.

Oh and sorry Muel, I'm not trying to come across as a 'tard :P just being fussy.

PC for me, I used Mac's at college for video media, and they get on my nerves (this is mainly due to low hardware maintenance and crap spec), and I find Final Cut Pro annoying (despite it being media industry standard :( )

PC is what I am comfortable with, I don't have loads of quick keys to remember, I can access and sort my files with ease and have no reason to go for a mac.

Ah yeh sorry, it didn't register that you wanted a 24" monitor, it would be cheaper going for Dell I'd imagine. Also it might be a bit slower, but probably less likely to break down than one from Ebay.

Rather than one 24" you could get two 22" though if you fancied? Thats what I'm going for soon when I get another 22", I've been testing using a 17" CRT and it's so much better than having one monitor. Just a thought, something else to considor!

It honestly depends what it will be used for.

My whole family are "mac-ers" and we all love them.

And if you get a mac, but need to run some windows software you can get additional software to run windows etc etc.

Worth the money ;)

PC for me, I used Mac's at college for video media, and they get on my nerves (this is mainly due to low hardware maintenance and crap spec), and I find Final Cut Pro annoying (despite it being media industry standard :( )

PC is what I am comfortable with, I don't have loads of quick keys to remember, I can access and sort my files with ease and have no reason to go for a mac.

thats the exact case as mine

I've changed to mac a few years ago and I've never been unhappy ever since. It's th best decision I have ever made.

No viruses, simple interface, no accsess to sistem files(which is rather good than bad), a lot of usefull programms.....

It works really fast, 99% less crashes.

YOu really can play games on it. more than 400 most popular games have been developed fo mac and/or ported to mac from PC.

Nice design that actually saves a lot of space..

a lot of usefull functions.....

no VIRUSES>!!!!!

get a mac and free your head from all that compute stuff.

It's not gay to have a good working computer