My Laptop's Dying - Help Me Plan Ahead.

JT!

It's old and slow, the touchpad's half stopped working, a couple of the buttons, epcially 'y' only work if you hit them harder and now i have a white bar going accros the screen.

First, the white bar disappears when you force the screen anti-clockwise. Push away on the right, pull on the left. Can anyone come up with a way i can bodge this (you only need a very slight twisting force)? I've tried strimmer wire but it didn't work.

So, i really don't want to buy another laptop until windows 7 comes out. But that's said to come out first thing in 2010, and i'll definitely need someone new by then. So would it be stupid buying a laptop with visa? Or should i maybe buy a laptop without an OS and stick with xp and then wait untill windows 7 comes out and buy it separately? Or just stick with vista?

Does it really matter?

Edited by JT!

What I'd do is backup everything you need, wipe it all and reinstall your OS, and start again.

As said, have a clean up under the keys, I had crumbs and all sorts sat under mine! Managed to get the keyboard apart, and give it a good shake and hoover up, been fine since! Not sure how easy it is to get a laptop apart without breaking it though...

Well, the laptop is running fine to be honest, it's just slow becuase it's 2 and a half years old. It won't run hd videos, struggles with google earth and things like that. But it really isn't that bad in that sense. Main thing that's bothering me is the white line. I'll get round to cleaning the keys when it really bothers me enough to do it.

Edited by JT!

My laptop is coming up to 3 years old now :( poor thing.

Mac?

Mine is somethinbg like 3 years, I'm using my brother's old comp now.

You could dig out some ram from somewhere, that would give it a little boost in performance.

Non vacant. :(

The issue your having JT! is the connection between the screen and the Video cable(almost like a loose VGA cable). Anyone competent with a computer should be able to dismantle the screen refit the cable and you shouldn't have the white line any more. I however wouldn't recommend doing it unless you know where everything goes.

The issue with the keyboard may be the internal membrane... not much you can do with that, try cleaning it when you can, but it may have just worn out.

I wouldn't hold out for windows 7 too much. You can always buy a laptop with vista and either put up with it for a while, downgrade to XP (Recommended) or even install the windows 7 RC. You can always upgrade to windows 7 later but obviously this will cost more. Just make sure your hardware supports the virtualization for virtual XP mode.

I wouldn't hold out for windows 7 too much. You can always buy a laptop with vista and either put up with it for a while, downgrade to XP (Recommended) or even install the windows 7 RC. You can always upgrade to windows 7 later but obviously this will cost more. Just make sure your hardware supports the virtualization for virtual XP mode.

He's right, you know. If you get a decent vista-capable laptop, windows 7 will run better on it than vista does, if they're right about the ram use.

The later you leave it, the more you will get for your money.

The OS is not all that important a factor, you can get W7 free and legally with a year licence at the mo, else XP is dirt cheap anyway now (Y)

I thought the stopped the beta download about a month ago luke?! My sony laptop is 5 years and still running fine, i only built a new pc because i wanted a bigger screen and better graphics.

Whats the spec of the machine youre running at the moment?