Tartybikes.blogspot.com

Ali C

YOU LIE! Rubber queens are the best tyre ever! :P

It's the carbon nano particles, they stick like glue.

I've heard the Rain Kings are amazing, I'd like to try one but unfortunately they cost over £50, which is rediculous for a tyre.

Ali, didn't I buy my Rubber Queen from you?

sure did!

you see, the problem is you havn't tried a rain king yet, they are honestly in another league! I thought the rubber queen gripped slightly worse than a maxxis (which the duro test backed up). the rain king just grips to anything, when you pick your bike up you can see they are actually stuck to the floor!

A certain company makes 23T screw on sprockets now... Which, when combined with an 18T freewheel on the rear hub makes an excellent ratio for 24"... :wink2:

For reference, as Tom said in the other thread, please call us with direct questions. This thread is about our Blog and it's updates (Y)

Dave got a little enthusiastic with some caustic soda and a headset, resulting in a very slightly undersized headset that can be slipped into and out of frames without damaging/marking them, but without being really loose. We've also got a random set of Urban forks too, so we just slip the headset in, put the forks in and measure away :P

So when you guys are measure CS / WB lengths on frames with horizontal dropouts, do you actually measure from the axle to the BB or front axle with the bike set up, or do you just have set measurements with chain length increments with a fixed gearing (mods'll be 18/12) and add that on accordingly?

Did that even make sense?

Edited by JT!

To be fair, if you can tell the difference when you ride it you'd be a bit of a hero. Bearing in mind that the age of your chain and sprockets would mean that you're likely to have a greater fluctuation in CS length than Adam not being able to work out to the exact mm what a frame is, it's probably not worth worrying about...

Never mind, you answered my question while i was typing it. So what is the length added to the CS when one link is added to the chain?

Edited by JT!

That'd vary according to your gear ratio...

... but usually around one set of chain links which is 1/2" (12.7mm). It's not exactly half a set of links because of the angle that the chain makes between the (larger) front and (smaller) rear sprockets. Hence 350 stays on the mod frames with 'short' chainstays.

So that means the wheel will sit quarter of an inch / 6.35mm further back when a links added.

350 to 355 = 5

355 to 362 = 7

Suppose that makes sense with rounding. I guess I'll be able to sleep peacefully tonight then.

How's the Koxx White Sky feel to ride then? It has a huge CS length compared to the rest. Or is that just to make up for the very high bb?

A pair of links is 1", not 1/2", so your numbers are incorrect.

Personally, I'm a fan of longer stays so I quite like the White Sky. The reason I got a Lynx was the 362mm stays (which are now around 365-ish at a guess on mine). I don't really like the feeling of shorter stays on mods for gapping and preloading for power moves, it just feels like you've not really got much to push against. Riding Ads's's's's's's's bikes it feels like when you kick to gap, the bike just flies out arse-first from under you. I guess it's something you'd get used to, and a lot of people seem to, but I just prefer the longer rear/lower BB feeling of mods like mine.