What Has Music Come To?

LukasMcNeal

I've just heard tinchy stryders - not alone. I don't get how he's any good? All he's done is got the classic not alone by olive and put some shitty rapping on it?! This is the same with pitbulls hotel Room song he's just rapped over a classic night crawlers loop, but the thing that annoys me is it doesn't give any credit to the original artist. Even remixes on black label do! Like darude - sandstorm (Paul g remix). Rant over!

I've just heard tinchy stryders - not alone. I don't get how he's any good? All he's done is got the classic not alone by olive and put some shitty rapping on it?! This is the same with pitbulls hotel Room song he's just rapped over a classic night crawlers loop, but the thing that annoys me is it doesn't give any credit to the original artist. Even remixes on black label do! Like darude - sandstorm (Paul g remix). Rant over!

Good stuff.

I´m so happy to be in england atleast now i don´t have to listen to reggeton, bloody south american shitty music.

Although over here it seems that the most popular music is that rappy R&B shite with the winey black overlydressed stupid mother f**kers that just sound gay but then i see these suposedly well ard chav like people or whatever there called listening to this embarasing gay sounding pile of bollox music and i just don´t understand it´s just not right grrrrrrrrr.

Edited by club_card

I think it's a good song. Different people have different tastes and besides, there's plenty other music out there for you to listen to, no need to come on a forum and rant about songs you don't like.

My point is the song is a dance classic and all tinchys done is rapped over it. The song is good because the actual song is not the rapping.

My point is the song is a dance classic and all tinchys done is rapped over it. The song is good because the actual song is not the rapping.

I know the originals a dance classic which I would agree is a good song. I like the fact that artists like Tinchey are rapping over old songs. I think it add's a good twist to classic tracks and makes them more modern, which you must admit is also good publicity for the originals.

Edited by David20

I know the originals a dance classic which I would agree is a good song. I like the fact that artists like Tinchey are rapping over old songs. I think it add's a good twist to classic tracks and makes them more modern, which you must admit is also good publicity for the originals.

Its not really good publicity for old songs because they are not shown in the title. If it was: Not alone - Olive (tinchy shitter remix). I wouldn't mind but it's the fact there gettin no credit.

Its not really good publicity for old songs because they are not shown in the title. If it was: Not alone - Olive (tinchy shitter remix). I wouldn't mind but it's the fact there gettin no credit.

It doesn't really matter if its shown in the title or not, if people like the sound of the original then most of the time they'll find out what it is. You can't tell me that these remixes haven't attracted peoples attention to the originals.

They've obviously sold the rights to the song to allow Tichy to use it though, so they're obviously fine with it? If you wanna save all these 'classic' artists then worry about downloading etc, not something they're probably getting paid a mint for.

Sounds like hip hop, R&B, and rap are the problem.

ANSWER: Hardcore music. Or anything mentioned in my signature.

Nah, Jesus is definitely the problem.

Sampling/using other music happens all the time, and has happened in a big way for yeeeeeeeears. So there's a track that you don't like, I guarantee there are songs out there that are massively ripped but that you like, whether you know it or not! ;)

Mainstream music has always been shit, it's nothing new.

Dig deeper and listen to stuff that the radio presenters don't force into your ears and you'll find some real gems.

Music's only getting better as production techniques / equipment improves - this applies to all genres.

As a rule, most stuff played on radio / MTV will be tripe that appeals to the brainless masses.

As a rule, most stuff played on radio / MTV will be tripe that appeals to the brainless masses.

Exactly.

I don't listen to Radio 1 or local chart radio on principle. However this causes confusion amongst friends saying that 'I don't like any new music'. Although the point is, I'm not going to like it just because everyone else does.

Music is a very personal thing; you can absolutely hate something that someone else absolutely loves - it doesn't exactly make it 'shit', it simply doesn't match your taste.

However, I do find with mainstream music that its very repeatitive. It sounds like little effort went into the song at all - take Destinys Child for example, I tend to think that all of the songs (that I've heard) are very similar in style and sound, there is little variation and they just sound something that worked once or twice and then murdered it beyond making any money what so ever.

Then they'll leave the band alone for a while, and in a few years time they'll do this big money making 'reunion tour'...look at Take That.

However the mainsteam music rarely makes it to the 'classic' reputation. In the past we've had The Clash, Pink Floyd etc which were pretty ground breaking bands that influenced a lot of other bands - its rare to find an inspirational band these days.

In 30 years time do you think people will be listening to The Black Eyed Peas? Commenting that they were the generations heroes, that changed music forever?

Occasionally, a few artists will hit the mainsteam who have something special. These are often the 'wildcards' in the music industry who have some talent but the record label aren't quite sure if they'll make it...but they appeal to a certain crowd and then they simply get raped - releasing about 5 songs in a short time, played so much on the radio that you just get sick of it, Artic Monkeys are a a fine example.

Then you've got the cover singers - usually X Factor finalists. A gameshow, judged by idiots, made for massive investment. Its a singing version of Dragons Den, old 'has beens' who saw success with one or two bands and are then seen to be the Music Industry Guru's because they simply act, and look good on television.

The interveiws with the singers speak volumes - money, money, money. Covering other peoples songs?

Sure, some can sing, but thats one talent. Whats important in music talent (in my eyes) is the ability to wrote your own songs. Covers can be acceptable, although they have to match up to the original performance - and covers certainly isn't something you can pin your entire career on.

X Factor/Pop Idol whatever the shit programme is called, has ONE success story in my eyes, and thats Will Young - sure he's done other covers, sure he probably gets someone else two write all his songs, but at least its something original.

Though with these programmes and the artists, the mugs watching it just lap it up. They see them on TV, claim to be their biggest fan because they watched them from 'the first audition and I always knew he was going to make it!'. They go out, buy the singles, the albums and autobiographies about how they're life was so, so harsh, how Dad made them sing until their thread bled and probably get a bit of 'my uncle touched me' in there too.

Then you've got the 'well established' artists. Maria Carey - Want To Know What Love Is, need I say more? There isn't a second on this song where her voice can't be heard. A classic ballad whichever way you look at it, overwritten by her rushed, badly edited singing...not to mention the 'ahhhhhhh, ohhhhhhh, ohhhhhh' throughout the track.

Any sort of Americanized Rap I stay clear from - its predictable, its boring and its saming. If I want to hear about how much money they have, how many famous people they know, how hot their girlfriend is or anything like that, I'll just go take a visit to my local golf club bar.

I personally pretty much like any type or style of music. Anything from dirty techno to The Beatles or Kasabian to Pink Floyd, however, i utterly detest 99% of R&B, hip hop and rap. I'm not saying it's sh!t because i apprerciate that plenty of people enjoy it, my women for one unfortunately, but it just isn't for me. I can't understand what they are on about most of the time and when i do it's usually about the same thing (girl this, girl that) and a sample of some other song that was made 10 years before. (I know that can happen it other genres of music too).

So for me, if Tinchy or whatever his name is was playing in my garden i'd close the curtains!!

I personally pretty much like any type or style of music. Anything from dirty techno to The Beatles or Kasabian to Pink Floyd, however, i utterly detest 99% of R&B, hip hop and rap. I'm not saying it's sh!t because i apprerciate that plenty of people enjoy it, my women for one unfortunately, but it just isn't for me. I can't understand what they are on about most of the time and when i do it's usually about the same thing (girl this, girl that) and a sample of some other song that was made 10 years before. (I know that can happen it other genres of music too).

So for me, if Tinchy or whatever his name is was playing in my garden i'd close the curtains!!

Sorry to always go on about this, but it's this uneducated bullshit that pisses me off. I don't understand how anyone can say they dislike a genre they obviously know nothing about. R&B, Hip Hop and Rap are nothing alike for a start, it's like comparing Heavy Metal and Pop Rock.

Secondly, real hip hop usually has some really deep and insightful stories to tell, it's only commercial rap that bangs on about guns and girls and taints peoples ideas of hip hop. If you have actually tried something and don't like it, then fair enough I can understand that. But i'll wager that you've barely listened to a true hip hop song in your life. Or at least haven't listened to it properly.

Or at least haven't listened to it properly.

Hmmm, I'll openly admit I've never listened to it properly and I'm rather ignorant to R&B and such. The reason I won't listen to it is for the reason you said, my first encounters with it.

The first encounter with R&B/hip hop/rap was that I didn't really like it - so I feel no need to explore other artists within the genre, I just feel I'd be wasting my time - not to mention, I couldn't research the 'good' artists because I don't know enough about them or the genre as a whole.

If I sampled you a song of Irish Folk music and you thought it was shit, would you go and find other artists of a similar genre?

No, but i wouldn't say I don't like the whole genre. But what i'm getting at is that Hip Hop and R&B are barely alike. To rephrase your question, if you gave me a sample of Irish folk music and i didn't like it, would i decide I didn't like all folk music? Would i decide i didn't like any music with a flute in it?