Ordering A Marino!?!

The Hitcher

Evenin'

Firstly, I'm sure Ive seen a topic on ordering a marino before but cant find it on the search, well not one that answers my questions.

Basically fancy myself a 24 Marino and I'm just wondering how everyone has gone about this.

Obviously there is the online form, which for someone who is not so geometry minded is a tad confusing, but how has everyone else whos got a marino ordered it etc. Any info about the whole process from ordering to delivery would be tidy. and any other info you think would be helpful feel free to chip in...

Also wondering about forks, as Im sure ive seen people with marino forks as well...?

Cheers all.

*snip*

to be honest they're steel frames so not really worth it. They're heavy, stiffer than alluminium which is worse for trials as frames need flex in order to not snap clean in half etc.

If marino did allu frames i'd be all over one but it isnt worth it for a steel frame.

to be honest they're steel frames so not really worth it. They're heavy, stiffer than alluminium which is worse for trials as frames need flex in order to not snap clean in half etc.

If marino did allu frames i'd be all over one but it isnt worth it for a steel frame.

I'm not fussed by the weight as I only want it for messing around on dabbling in street and a little park.

The majority of the order form is straignt forwards. You need to remember to click euro BB type if you're wanting to use an ISIS or square taper BB.

You might want to use 135mm and horizontal dropouts.

The only area of the geo that confuses me is the SA, seat angle. I know what it is, but not so much what difference it makes.

You may as well set the tyre clearance to 2.7, for more choice of tyres, and the extra room if you buckle the wheels.

Anything else I can help with?

Cheers for the help all. Well I'm making it simpler by having inspired geo I think, so if any knows it off top of head??? (ill check on tarty later) I would have brought an inspired but want a cheap thrill rather than dedicated 24 as it were.

What sort of turn around time have people had with the frames? And how the communication between marino and buyer?

Edited by The Hitcher

Geometry (with Echo Urban fork, sold separately)

Wheelbase: 1040mm

Chainstay Length: 385mm

BB Rise: 35mm (approximately equivalent to 10mm rise on a 26" bike)

Head Angle: 73 degrees

Reach from centre of BB shell to centre top of head tube: 650mm (25.5")

:P

I would be tempted to go for 375 CS and 40 or 45 BB, but if you're looking for an inspired copy, leave it.

It turns out a higher BB is actually good for spinning moves, and it's good for trials so maybe you'd want to raise it a bit?

Totally your choice! That's the good thing about marino. I'd buy a marino if he did them in alu :P

Might want to check that out, alloy frames tend to ride a lot stiffer than steel. Steel and titanium preferred on frames for feel due to thier forgiving properties. I know my steel dmr trailstar soaks a lot of the buzz up that my orange missle didn't.

The amount of incorrect second hand information thrown about on this forum by new members is incredible.

I was under the impression that steel is more springy , it is a bit heaver but the plus side is that a tube can be made thinner when its made from steel making little difference in weight, an added bonus I've found was that aluminium will snap when it fails but steel will tend to bend first giving you a warning at least. but hey I could be wrong

Thanks for all the info chaps, appreciate. I am more than likely sticking with the inspired geo after riding one of the frames and enjoying it muchly. (Y)

More interested now in what people opinions of the company are, like turn around time, quality of work, contact between marino and yourself etc etc etc...???

Hey man,

Check out Marino's Blog on his site Marino Site.

For best communication, you could always be his friend on Facebook. He is trying his best to update his blog and get better internet use over in Peru. (just now its fairly limited)

He has stacks of frames already built with Inspired geo. Have a look at the pictures and if you see one you like you could grab a bargin. He has a sale on just now. (Y)

They're heavy, stiffer than alluminium which is worse for trials as frames need flex in order to not snap clean in half etc.

haha

I hate having stiff frames. I love frame flex. :P

Why do you think brake booster's exist? Plus steel is more malleable than aluminium anyway so it'll bend before snapping clean in half

Hey man,

Check out Marino's Blog on his site Marino Site.

For best communication, you could always be his friend on Facebook. He is trying his best to update his blog and get better internet use over in Peru. (just now its fairly limited)

He has stacks of frames already built with Inspired geo. Have a look at the pictures and if you see one you like you could grab a bargin. He has a sale on just now. (Y)

Cheers Ross thats really useful, emailing him now about those sale frames, bargain! (Y)

Haha indeed Partz! I'm quite happy with a little frame flex, less likely of completely snapping the frame in two.

ahh that was me being sarcastic, evidentally didnt work

I can see the point of frames absorbing impact and deforming, but I think I rather that be material based rather than frame design

The vast majority of frames these days are made to a nice high standard. so that flex is minimal. Unfortunatly, if your material is brittle, the material has no elastic region in the deformation process. IE if you stress it beyond a yield stress, it will just snap, and not stretch. A good example of this is dry wood.

The way Im seeing this, is that if the frame is made out of aluminium, which is a bit more brittle than steel, its more likely to snap because it has a shorter elastic region and thus a lower elastic limit before it snaps. Taking it to the extreme, if you had a rubber frame and gave it flex, would it snap? Of course not because rubber is highly elastic.

Overall, dont get me wrong, I still think aluminium is the best idea for frames. Im just saying its not perfect :P If anyone doesnt understand please say, ill happily try clarify again.