Light Or Strong ?

Light or Strong ?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Light or Strong

• LIGHT
    • STRONG
    • Cheap (DONT GIVE A WILLY AS LONG ITS RIDEABLE)

One factor that is crucial when looking at a new frame... Hopefuly this will help people when looking at frames..

Discuss the point you voted for !

Personally i would go for strength, as its not 100% your gonna land what ever your doing...

Edited by Nick pyke :)

not necessarily, i can't imagine a hydroxx or sky lasting years, even with just light or intermediate use, what are people calling heavy anyway? i'd be happy with a 2.2kg frame if it had the right features geo and would last. i don't like the current frames on the market to much, i miss the 2006 deng frames, they were brilliant for strength/weight

Well at the moment there are alot of frames out there and alot of them are quite light now anyway.

Right now even echos and zoos are very light and still very strong just like Rockman frames they are very light but still im my opinion still strong.

So basically its in your opinion of what you call heavy.For me its anything over 2 kg which alot of frame are under that.

You just have to look at the frame and see if there looks like a weak point anywhere which may crack.

Well at the moment there are alot of frames out there and alot of them are quite light now anyway.

Right now even echos and zoos are very light and still very strong just like Rockman frames they are very light but still im my opinion still strong.

So basically its in your opinion of what you call heavy.For me its anything over 2 kg which alot of frame are under that.

You just have to look at the frame and see if there looks like a weak point anywhere which may crack.

Its not like hes sponsored by them is it :P

Light, you only need a strong frame if you're a basher or do these silly drop-gaps and drops all the time.

I feel I need a strong frame but I'm not a basher and don't do silly drop gaps. I'm just a heavy guy who rides far more than he should do and tends to break a lot of components. Light frames can be so flexy as well which i really can't stand.

I'm a big fan of old U6 Deng frames, just over 2kg and will last forever if you don't bash them. I had an 06 control which lasted for 2 years and still was fine when I sold it, my last frame was an 07 Adamant which lasted 18 months of hard riding. I snapped 2 sets of handlebars, probably 9 or 10 sets of forks and a few BBs while using that frame and it is still solid. They don't make them like they used to!

What you do is, get the lightest thing you can. If it breaks, know you can't go that light. No sense in riding things that are heavier than they have to be, especially if your riding style can ride light stuff. If it breaks, go the next step up.

Obviously this is all within your budget. And within reason. Don't expect to get a 2lb frame and expect it to handle things forever.

What you do is, get the lightest thing you can. If it breaks, know you can't go that light.

Not necessarily, simply because design and quality of frame makes a massive difference too. Some companies make super light frames with virtually no testing and just release them even with obvious weak points on them. These frames then, unsurprisingly, break. Other companies however test their stuff and then release them, with hopefully minimal weak points on. What I'm trying to say is that you can't just use weight as a defining thing, you really, really need to look at design too.

As has been said though, it's about compromise.

Not necessarily, simply because design and quality of frame makes a massive difference too. Some companies make super light frames with virtually no testing and just release them even with obvious weak points on them. These frames then, unsurprisingly, break. Other companies however test their stuff and then release them, with hopefully minimal weak points on. What I'm trying to say is that you can't just use weight as a defining thing, you really, really need to look at design too.

As has been said though, it's about compromise.

That's why I said within reason. Use common sense whenever you purchase. There's obviously going to be some companies that have higher quality and thus, are usually stronger. But relatively speaking, i.e all other things being equal, go as light as you can afford.

There's absolutely no reason for anybody to be riding a 30lb trials bike for "durability" even if they are hacks. There's certainly lighter parts even a hack can ride, and doesn't have to pay a fortune for either. A DX32 comes to mind. A bunch of other parts like handle bars and stems. Hell, nothing on my trials bike is from a trials company with the exception of the frame and the brake pads. It's not a tank (it's actually 22lbs), SOLID, and is probably more durable and lighter than most peoples bikes.

Nobody should get so narrow minded on parts simply because they're "trials" parts. There's so many other parts that work (which is what I'm making the guess that this topic is more or less surrounding), if not work BETTER than the trials specific stuff, you're really at a loss if you don't take other things/parts into consideration.

But I totally agree, it's about compromise.

Edited by rupintart

That's why I said within reason. Use common sense whenever you purchase. There's obviously going to be some companies that have higher quality and thus, are usually stronger. But relatively speaking, i.e all other things being equal, go as light as you can afford.

There's absolutely no reason for anybody to be riding a 30lb trials bike for "durability" even if they are hacks. There's certainly lighter parts even a hack can ride, and doesn't have to pay a fortune for either. A DX32 comes to mind. A bunch of other parts like handle bars and stems. Hell, nothing on my trials bike is from a trials company with the exception of the frame and the brake pads. It's not a tank (it's actually 22lbs), SOLID, and is probably more durable and lighter than most peoples bikes.

Nobody should get so narrow minded on parts simply because they're "trials" parts. There's so many other parts that work (which is what I'm making the guess that this topic is more or less surrounding), if not work BETTER than the trials specific stuff, you're really at a loss if you don't take other things/parts into consideration.

But I totally agree, it's about compromise.

your bike aint going to ride completely trialsy then, if your not running trials parts.

your bike aint going to ride completely trialsy then, if your not running trials parts.

Like what?

Cranks? No.

Stem? No. (unless it's a mod, and even then, meh)

Bars? Not really. Because of sweep? That's preference anyways.

Rims? DX32 isn't a "trials" rim. I wouldn't use anything else on the rear anyways as far as pure trials goes.

Headset? No.

Pedals? No.

Brakes? No.

Grips? No.

Hubs? No.

Tires? No.

Chain? No.

The only thing you really couldn't do with any other MTB parts would be the frame, fork*, and brakepads*... Unless you go FFW, then yeah, you need trials cranks, but you can still do everything else with "regular" MTB parts and the bike still ride completely "trialsy".

*You could get by without trials brake pads. A grind on some Salmon pads works good enough. Disc frames, you can use a BB7 or anything else and be just fine.

* You could use ANY rigid fork. the only difference is gonna be stiffness. There are TONS of rigid forks out there that have "trials" rake and height. Whether or not they're light AND strong is a whole other topic...

Edited by rupintart