Tire Idea.

TROYston

Ive been sitting in my house bored, looking at the bike thinking, lets go ride, look out side, that thort soon ends.

So ideas have been popping into my head, surely:

Tyre + Drawing pin = Grip on snow and ice.

Like use a crappy or old or worn tyre, and push drawing pins through the inside of the tyre,

I reckon it might just work like snow and ice studded tyres.

Maybe a useless idea, but maybe a saviour seeming we have had such cack weather?

Does anyone else reckon it would work?

Edited by TROYston

Ive been sitting in my house bored, looking at the bike thinking, lets go ride, look out side, that thort soon ends.

So ideas have been popping into my head, surely:

Tyre + Drawing pin = Grip on snow and ice.

Like use a crappy or old or worn tyre, and push drawing pins through the inside of the tyre,

I reckon it might just work like snow and ice studded tyres.

Maybe a useless idea, but maybe a saviour seeming we have had such cack weather?

Does anyone else reckon it would work?

we can all be caught out on this forum , but dont have too many more "ideas" :P

Edited by Christophe'

Ahh so im not the only onee with this idea,

It may hardly snow, but when it does you can just slap them on.

The Tyres that person made for the scooby look mental.

I was on the verge in autumn for buying some 24" snow and ice tyres for my other bike, but thought to myself, when is it ever going to snow or be icy enough to need them, i wish i did get them now :/

Ahh please post pics on this topic.

I have made a set of home made studded tires for my XC bike that work quite well.

I got this recipe from somewhere else and gave it a shot.

Same as you've said, old worn out tire.

Drill holes through every 3rd or 4th knobbie. Don't need as many as you'd think. No need for them right in the center of the tire either.

Screw in sheet metal screws from the inside out. Screws I used had rounded heads and stuck out about 1cm, so depending on how worn out the tire is, you may have to adjust.

Cover the heads of the screws and entire inside of tire with several layers of duct tape or similar thick threaded sealing tape.

Don't go too low on tire pressure. for my stock tire, I've run about 30psi.

Never think I'd try em on a trials bike, but have worked well on trail and road and in mostly wet snow - although I don't get tons of it where I live. I've only used them three or four times. Cheap as dirt to make and don't take long if you use power tools and don't overdo it. Replacing studs isn't a big deal either.

Google this - lot's of other (maybe better) versions of the same idea if you look around. Have fun.

Edited by Tappets

Hmmm...im thinking though...

reguardless of how good the traction you can in theory get from the tyre to the snow (say for example the tyre sticks like glue to the snow), the resistance of the friction between the snow/ice and the actual surface in most cases will not be sufficient to with stand the shearing forces...

Edited by chris4stars

Hmmm...im thinking though...

reguardless of how good the traction you can in theory get from the tyre to the snow (say for example the tyre sticks like glue to the snow), the resistance of the friction between the snow/ice and the actual surface in most cases will not be sufficient to with stand the shearing forces...

Was clearing snow/ice of a road that does'nt get used that much. The ice under the snow was pulling a 8 ton 360 up hill. Had to smash it with the edge of the bucket.

Edited by Little Yoshi

I'm sure the term is yay or nay?

I want to know how those continentals are so light even with steel studs in them and enough rubber to hold the said steel studs.

If you have an old tyre and the time i'd say why not but otherwise its really quite silly and probably wont work, give it a go.

i was riding snow covered walls in scottishland with maxxis minions and found they worked well. gaping to front from and to snow covered walls and all seemed surprisingly well. metal studs may make things worse since metal and stone don't grip. i think studs are for ice and most things you would ride will have not the hardest surface, like ice does. it will be gone soon anyway thank fluk.

I remember in an old issue of MBUK Rich Johnson and a few other riders made studded tires to ride on an ice rink with. They used nuts and bolts for theirs, which are a lot sturdier than drawing pins (Y)

I reckon the snow'll be gone by the time you've finished making your tyres though :P