Oh My f**king God America... What The Hell Is Wrong With You?

aener

I had to turn it off after a minute... It's pretty much abuse in today's society to brainwash kids like that.

I think the most worrying thought I had watching that first minute was- does the fat woman actually believe this shit or is it about the money ? ...

Oh my. Well, I'd like to say that this would border on the extreme side of things - almost cult-like. I live in the south - a.k.a. the "Bible Belt," and I don't think behavior like this is the norm. Although I've known a few people that get fired up by this kind of tripe.

In any case, it is indeed sad, especially since it's specifically targeting the kids. But, I guess, because it's in Jesus' name, it's OK. (note sarcasm there) Whatever. Here's another reason I've never gotten involved with this religion stuff. Many people take it way too far, and not just in America.

Seeing that 'bottled holy water' sure has made me thirsty, though. LOL

Edited for seplling.

Edited by Tappets

It's all very well for you all to say the America's a bad country, but it's not.

This is one case of something like this, doesn't mean that every other Christian or American does this all the time.

A lot of people think they're all political but in reality there sitting at home doing nothing critisizing things on forums because they have nothing better to do.

Personally i think America has the biggest population of biggots, racists, morons and plain f**king retards in the known universe!

I wont say christians are all stupid as i have a friend who is a christian.

But they have a very short memory. They go on about muslim extremists but during the crusades the christians slaughtered hundreds of innocent muslim women and children even after they handed back the city of jerusalem. So were not entirely whiter than white.

All religious groups christians, muslims, hindus ect need to seriously need to look at the modern world and see How things

have changed, as some of their veiws are way too far in the past and are no longer apprreasonable.

doesn't mean that every other Christian or American does this all the time.

Of course not but the basis of the religion is the same; believe all this made up tosh and you'll be ok. Don't believe it and bad things will happen. No really, they will. Those guys have taken it to the extreme and are just being retarded and exploiting kids at the same time, but the truth remains that a lot of Americans are scarily Chrisitan. In the UK it seems like there's (thankfully) a fairly strong trend moving away from the Church and Christianity in the youth of today. From what I've seen of Americans this isn't the case, with a worrying number of 'normal people' (and I'm talking BMXers, motocrossers and whatever else) thanking god and jesus for helping them get to where they are. Each to their own but I find it really disappointing when I hear that sort of stuff.

Each to their own but I find it really disappointing when I hear that sort of stuff.

I know what you mean there. It pisses me off so much when someone wins something and they thank God. Why don't people thank god when they loose? Surely he wanted them to loose for a reason so they should be great-full

Of course not but the basis of the religion is the same; believe all this made up tosh and you'll be ok.

MUST..... HOLD...... TONGUE..... :shutit:

:P

But despite that, you're quite right for a great deal, probably most, of the Christian manifestations across past and present.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

Isn't the real question how many years before religion disappears completely?

The question is, is this possible? Even if Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, etc. disappear will not the same questions and similar answers still exist. They may well just end up with a different face that we may no longer call religion despite still being religion?

I can certainly imagine religion in terms of Gods disappearing though or at the very least transforming to omit a God or Gods. There seems little point in playing about with an idea that we seem unable to really know about either way.

The question is, is this possible? Even if Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, etc. disappear will not the same questions and similar answers still exist. They may well just end up with a different face that we may no longer call religion despite still being religion?

I can certainly imagine religion in terms of Gods disappearing though or at the very least transforming to omit a God or Gods. There seems little point in playing about with an idea that we seem unable to really know about either way.

You'd never be able to get rid of religion completely. There's waaaaay too much money in it and it's faaaar too good an excuse to be incredibly shitty to each other and murder people in its name.

There will also always be the less intelligent, less confident people who want and need to be told what to do and think. In days gone by people truly didn't know what was out there and so the nutjobs could spout their rubbish and people knew no better. These days I think more people are willing to question what's around them and combined with the progress in science probably helps to reduce the number of todays youth who attend church. It would appear that Amercians might be a bit behind us in that department ;).

OK I tried my best... :-

If you are a genuinely open minded individual, I urge you to watch this preview of Lennox and Hitchens debate entitled "Can Atheism Save Europe". As I said, it's only a preview and I admit that I haven't seen the whole thing (although I'll try and get hold of it) but it at least demonstrates some of the misconceptions that people seem to have about these particular topics around religion/fundamentalism/new atheism ect . It also demonstrates that there are rational, intelligent arguments on BOTH sides of the debate.

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

The only thing Christians have to argue with is what a book from a few thousand years ago says.

and of course independent reason, philosophy, metaphysics, ethics, history and (wait for it) scientific understanding, knowledge and progression over time aren't used as tools within Christian apologetics? By your same line of argument, I could argue that all science is based on the pre Socratics of Greece (675 BC) and Aristotle's natural philosophy. These are the origins of the scientific method and understanding. By your own logic, I could argue that the only thing scientists have to argue with are the Pre Socratic texts written over two and a half thousand years ago.

and of course independent reason, philosophy, metaphysics, ethics, history and (wait for it) scientific understanding, knowledge and progression over time aren't used as tools within Christian apologetics? By your same line of argument, I could argue that all science is based on the pre Socratics of Greece (675 BC) and Aristotle's natural philosophy. These are the origins of the scientific method and understanding. By your own logic, I could argue that the only thing scientists have to argue with are the Pre Socratic texts written over two and a half thousand years ago.

Science changes. Religion doesn't. Do new things turn up in the bible? Is it open to question? Is it shite you do what god wants you to do or burn in hell for eternity.

Cheers for that Phil. It was a good watch but a shame that it was only a summary. I do find it unfortunate that a western consideration of religion is always considered in such ethnocentric terms (just Christianity) but I really appreciate the point that was raised regarding the difference between the essence of Christianity and the utilization of Christianity for contradictory means.

It was also a pleasure to see Hitchens more restrained than usual in attitude. I can take him a bit more sincerely in that form.

Anyway, I can see another forum storm coming, maybe? I shall remain relatively to the side on this one :turned:

Science changes. Religion doesn't. Do new things turn up in the bible? Is it open to question? Is it shite you do what god wants you to do or burn in hell for eternity.

What if some religion(s) actually have wisdom or understanding about unchanging truths? In that sense, there's little need to change. Not that I'm saying religion definitely does but the point is worth considering, I think. That's definitely not to say that all religion is composed only of unchanging truths but perhaps some of it is and some truths (or suggestions?) are only appropriate for a certain time in history.

Science changes. Religion doesn't. Do new things turn up in the bible?1 Is it open to question?2 Is it shite you do what god wants you to do or burn in hell for eternity.3

In order:

1- Yes, people have different interpretations, since you are talking about 66 books in total, there will always be alternative interpretations of text. Genesis is a good example, the majority of intelligent Christians will now interpret the creation story to be one of analogy (like many other books in the Bible) as apposed to literal truth.

2- Yes- see answer for 1

3- Yes, or at least it would be if that’s the way I worded it. However, that is a rather childish naive way of interpreting the Christian message and not the way I interpret it after reading and reflection.